"peculiar and strange events"

Earlier I was playing the game at night huddling near my campfire when I thought to myself "What if a demon were to come and kill me?"

So then i thought that demons should be these flying creatures that try to land and kill you whenever, But spawn very rarely at night after a sufficient amount of days. And maybe they should drop like a demon fang which you can craft together with something else for some awesome spear.

So I continued thinking and thought "What if there were natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, lightning storms, or maybe tornado's. And maybe they begin to happen more and more often later in the game so it will eventually get to the point where you cannot survive because of them.

Earthquakes: Earthquakes should be a fairly rare even that shouldn't happen during the first week or two of the game, And basically it makes a bunch of unsurpassable cracks around the islands.

Floods: Floods should be another slightly less rare event that shouldn't happen during the first week of the game, and basically the ocean rises over a few days slowly shrinking the size of the map and getting rid of land bridges. If you are wondering what the flood does to trees and other structures, for trees it turns them into that brown state where the don't drop wood until they recover, they destroy fire pits and campfires, and breakdown other structures like the hammer does.

Lightning storms: These should be fairly common and happen regardless of the age of the world, But basically its loud and stormy for awhile, but there's lightning which can cause a small fire and a large flash of light. But with this a way to put out fires should be included and have things like berry bushes, saplings, and other flammable things can randomly spawn around the world when they are destroyed from fire. Also if they player happens to be hit with the lightning bolt there should be a animation of sorts which deals massive damage but Wilson is immune to this.

Tornado s: Tornado's should be a uncommon event that tends to be small scale, but causes mobs and structures to fly up into it and spin around with a nicely made animation then eventually fling each of them to a random area of the map.

Eclipse This will happen during the day after X amount of moon cycles and basically its dusk for a majority of the day until it reaches a full eclipse and you can be killed by a gru. You of course could add something interesting that happens on a eclipse like specific mobs come out like creatures that are usually docile suddenly become enraged.

Meteor crash These should happen once at a random time later in the game and basically cause a fire where ever it crashes but drop a bunch of these boulders of meteorite that will cause fire damage when you get close to it, but if you choose to mine it it will drop meteorite ore or something like that. And if you are wondering it will not land near your base/near you, it will attempt to land on a non special unexplored area of the map with none of the players structures/transplanted crops.

So those are the peculiar weather events, But lets talk about randomly spawning mobs.

Zombies : Zombies should spawn when they see you digging up graves like how the tree guard attacks you when he sees you are chopping down trees, But this should happen much much more often and they should spawn in moderately large gangs to make them harder to fight.

Goblin: Goblins should spawn like how turkeys occasionally come out of bushes when you harvest but a bit rarer. But now you ask "What do they do?" Well they will steal a single valuable item(or stack) then run as fast as they can away. But lets say you manage to corner it and kill it, Well it drops the things it stole and a golden nugget aswell.

Poison spider: I was a bit undecided on how these should work, weather they should have a distinct standalone nest, occasionally be mixed with regular nests, Or have nests occasionally be poison spider nests. Anyways, poison spiders should be slightly smaller and overall faster greenish spiders that deal stackable poison D.O.T's(damage over time) and maybe accelerate exhaustion(How fast your hunger depletes)

Rabbit of Caerbannog: This should have a slight chance of coming out of a bunny hole and attacking you similar to how tree guards spawn. But basically it will be very quick and deal a ton of damage but when killed drops several morsels. And maybe it drops teeth which you can make into a razor blade that deals a ton of damage but has a very short range.

Now ill say some spooky things about how i think ghosts should work

Ghosts come out at night ghosts should come out at night, but they only stay in the graveyard and tend not to wander from the fog.

Spectral bridges These should be these strange cloud like bridges that are only there on a new moon and lead to "Haunted islands". If you are on this bridge at dawn you will be dropped into the ocean and die by the kraken (A giant bundle of tentacles that attack you if your are lost at sea)

Haunted islands Haunted islands are basically these independent islands with nothing but graves and creepy looking trees on it. But i would advice keeping it open for different structures, like maybe it could have demonic shrines required to research specific spells or magical items. Oh and the ghosts come out every night here, And if you have not realized already, if you go here you are trapped here until the next full moon.

Oh and a little side note, i think there should be a alpha beefalo which is identified by a larger size, and much larger curly horns. And it will have significantly more health and deal significantly more damage and other beefalos tend to follow him, And it resists interruption like how the tree guard does in that it takes a few hits before it manages to hit you. But if you do manage to kill this beast you get a "Alpha beefalo horn" which can either be researched for a very great sum of money, or it could be used in magic to create a horn that temporarily summons a small heard of beefalos to defend you. Or the horn could be used for something really interesting like open up a land bridge needed to advance in the game.

Im back for a bit, and i just came up with a awesome idea,

Caves; These should be these little mounds with a hole in the front and when you walk into the entrance it makes a walking sound while the camera is zooming in. Once you are inside it is pitch black and if you don't have a source of light you will be killed by a gru. Caves could be something that spawns once in a entire map and have a large quarry inside, or they could spawn occasionally and have a small room inside with something interesting.

Edited by Nickdy

Some very fun ideas there, especially the idea of a kill bunny who takes revenge for his people. Disasters would add a random element to the game and that is awesome, but they would cause a problem. Some resources are limited, so a few disasters could be the end of you because you no longer have the resources to rebuild what you have lost. Otherwise great suggestions there!

Some very fun ideas there, especially the idea of a kill bunny who takes revenge for his people. Disasters would add a random element to the game and that is awesome, but they would cause a problem. Some resources are limited, so a few disasters could be the end of you because you no longer have the resources to rebuild what you have lost. Otherwise great suggestions there!

Yes i thought of that, basically if a resource like berry bushes, saplings, grass, or trees are removed, they will eventually respawn somewhere else in the map

nature disasters are great, I don't like the deamon idea, but some things you mention are good ideas indeed. The Zombies for example would ba a nice change, we do have the ghost, but it is so slow, rare, and undamaging that it never ever would keep me from robbing graves, heck, its so damn slow and unfrightening that I keep digging up graves even after one or two of them spawned, so something that would add a bit risk to graverobbery wouldn't be that bad.

Earthquakes: Earthquakes should be a fairly rare even that shouldn't happen during the first week or two of the game, And basically it makes a bunch of unsurpassable cracks around the islands.

A while back I suggested that perhaps, to shake things up (no pun), an earthquake should strike any day after the player has survived for, say, 60 days. By that time the player should be well established and surviving. The earthquake would occur and slowly cause certain islands to sink beneath the waves. Players would have less than a day to evacuate off the sinking island, and if it happened that their base camp was on such an island they would have to grab what they could before it sank, or risk dying trying to get more. Of course at this stage in development I can't see such an idea being implemented, as the island bridges are essential to travel and the possibility would exist a player could be trapped on an isolated island. I would rather wait until the bridges are removed and players are given the ability to travel between the islands by other means (i.e. raft/boat). Of course these are all just suggestions.

Floods: Floods should be another slightly less rare event that shouldn't happen during the first week of the game, and basically the ocean rises over a few days slowly shrinking the size of the map and getting rid of land bridges. If you are wondering what the flood does to trees and other structures, for trees it turns them into that brown state where the don't drop wood until they recover, they destroy fire pits and campfires, and breakdown other structures like the hammer does.

While the idea is reasonable, I'm just not sure how it could be implemented, given the 2.5D nature of the world. If there were elevations then this would be a neat idea. While I can see some merit in trapping the player on an island and forcing them to survive for a time there... I can also see that inflicting grief or boredom. So I can't say I'm for this idea.

Lightning storms: These should be fairly common and happen regardless of the age of the world, But basically its loud and stormy for awhile, but there's lightning which can cause a small fire and a large flash of light. But with this a way to put out fires should be included and have things like berry bushes, saplings, and other flammable things can randomly spawn around the world when they are destroyed from fire. Also if they player happens to be hit with the lightning bolt there should be a animation of sorts which deals massive damage but Wilson is immune to this.

Weather is a topic that comes up and two of them rainstorms and thunderstorms had ideas similar to this, with both causing unsheltered fires to extinguish faster. As for the lightning strikes causing fires... I'm only 50/50 on this, as fire is crazy destructive when applied in certain locations. I've seen entire forests burn down just because of the careless use of a torch... but in those cases it was the player's fault. The idea of random events destroying an island's ecosystem...

Now in Minecraft they had a similar idea, but they tempered it by having the rain extinguish the flames not long after they started. So I would be willing to support the idea if lightning only destroyed one or a few trees before being extinguished by the rain, otherwise I wouldn't care for it.

Tornado s: Tornado's should be a uncommon event that tends to be small scale, but causes mobs and structures to fly up into it and spin around with a nicely made animation then eventually fling each of them to a random area of the map.

Not sure how they would pull this off. It would be interesting though.

Zombies : Zombies should spawn when they see you digging up graves like how the tree guard attacks you when he sees you are chopping down trees, But this should happen much much more often and they should spawn in moderately large gangs to make them harder to fight.

I prefer the ghost that pops up.

Goblin: Goblins should spawn like how turkeys occasionally come out of bushes when you harvest but a bit rarer. But now you ask "What do they do?" Well they will steal a single valuable item(or stack) then run as fast as they can away. But lets say you manage to corner it and kill it, Well it drops the things it stole and a golden nugget aswell.

Hmmm. Not sure about a goblin, but the idea in general has some merit. It would certainly mess with you to have something steal your gold tool or stack of silk...

Poison spider: I was a bit undecided on how these should work, weather they should have a distinct standalone nest, occasionally be mixed with regular nests, Or have nests occasionally be poison spider nests. Anyways, poison spiders should be slightly smaller and overall faster greenish spiders that deal stackable poison D.O.T's(damage over time) and maybe accelerate exhaustion(How fast your hunger depletes)

I've previously suggested that spiders in general should be poisonous, but I wouldn't be against the idea of there being more than one type of spider. Maybe you could even have it that this spider doesn't have a nest, but rather is more like a trapdoor spider, lurking just below the ground and waiting for its prey to wander by before striking.

One of the reasons I've suggested poisonous spiders is as a source of poison, so that players can craft poison darts (poison + stinger + feather) and blow guns (reed + rope).

Ghosts come out at night ghosts should come out at night, but they only stay in the graveyard and tend not to wander from the fog.

I wouldn't be against this idea...

Spectral bridges These should be these strange cloud like bridges that are only there on a new moon and lead to "Haunted islands". If you are on this bridge at dawn you will be dropped into the ocean and die by the kraken (A giant bundle of tentacles that attack you if your are lost at sea)

Haunted islands Haunted islands are basically these independent islands with nothing but graves and creepy looking trees on it. But i would advice keeping it open for different structures, like maybe it could have demonic shrines required to research specific spells or magical items. Oh and the ghosts come out every night here, And if you have not realized already, if you go here you are trapped here until the next full moon.

This is an interesting idea. I know I've discussed in other threads about islands associated with specific biomes, for example, snowy islands, volcanic islands, desert islands, ect. And there have been topics where ruins and the like have been discussed, but neither were combined. I like the idea of a haunted island filled with graves. That said, I'm against "magic" appearing more prominently in the game as I would like Don't Starve to continue along the avenue of science and discovery. The Meat Effigy is about my limit right now, but that's just my opinion.

Also, if we did create an island filled with graves something more than useful items and the odd ghost would need to be added so the whole place didn't turn into a massive research point fiesta.

Anyway, lots of interesting ideas you have here. :)

I like it but I dont think it would work out all the diasters would be like a death sentence

How? you can fairly easily survive each of the disasters.

Flood: The flood does not go all the way up the island and will eventually go back down

Thunderstorm: It will be a very low chance for you to be hit with lightning, and if your talking about forest fires, after a decent period of time each of the plants/trees will respawn somewhere in the map.

Tornado: This probably wont kill you unless you have very low hp, and you may just need to retreive all of the structures of yours that were flung apart

Earthquake I dont really see why this would kill you, and the land would eventually move back together

How? you can fairly easily survive each of the disasters.

Flood: The flood does not go all the way up the island and will eventually go back down

Thunderstorm: It will be a very low chance for you to be hit with lightning, and if your talking about forest fires, after a decent period of time each of the plants/trees will respawn somewhere in the map.

Tornado: This probably wont kill you unless you have very low hp, and you may just need to retreive all of the structures of yours that were flung apart

Earthquake I dont really see why this would kill you, and the land would eventually move back together

okay for the flood what if you live to close to water all your stuff is dystroyed and you dont have any supplies uh oh its night your dead

next for thunder storm if you live in a forest it burns everything down you lose all supplies night comes you die

tornado takes all your stuff and flings it around the map what if everthing is a days wlk from whre you are and you cant find anything your dead

lastly earthquake it splits you from the rest of the world and night comes with you having no supplies you die

I think I made my point

okay for the flood what if you live to close to water all your stuff is dystroyed and you dont have any supplies uh oh its night your dead

next for thunder storm if you live in a forest it burns everything down you lose all supplies night comes you die

tornado takes all your stuff and flings it around the map what if everthing is a days wlk from whre you are and you cant find anything your dead

lastly earthquake it splits you from the rest of the world and night comes with you having no supplies you die

I think I made my point

Like i said, the flood will not flow all the way up the island, and its probably a bad idea to live near the water on a island that is prone to floods. thats like saying they should remove werewolfs because if your base is near it during a full moon you will be killed by werewolfs.

And for storms, you will not loose all of the vital resources you need from a measly forest fire as in chests are not flammable, by the time storms can happen you should be abled to survive a few days without acess to fresh resources.

And for tornado's, they are very small scale so they probably wouldnt fling everything within a days walk away,

For earthquakes, as i said before. You really should be abled to survive isolated from the outside world for awhile by this time of the game, and remember Just because you don't have unlimited access to a resource does not mean you don't have any

Edited by Nickdy

Meteor crash These should happen once at a random time later in the game and basically cause a fire where ever it crashes but drop a bunch of these boulders of meteorite that will cause fire damage when you get close to it, but if you choose to mine it it will drop meteorite ore or something like that. And if you are wondering it will not land near your base/near you, it will attempt to land on a non special unexplored area of the map with none of the players structures/transplanted crops.

I just thought about adding meteorites into the game, too. My idea was similar the only different is that normal stones spawn in the near of the impact, because the earth bursts open. So you don't have the problem with the ending stone resource. Dropping meteorite ore would be another solution for this problem, you could use them for crafting improved tools. And there has to be a loud BOOOOOOM!! sound on impact.:)

They have to be Pigzombies. This would look quite awesome.

Poison spiders, a spider queen, spiders with slowing webs, bigger/more nests, spiders with better attack tactics or stronger attacks....choose sth. But Spiders have to get stronger in mid and late-game. You can farm/fight or escape spiders to easily.

Rabbit of Caerbannog: This should have a slight chance of coming out of a bunny hole and attacking you similar to how tree guards spawn. But basically it will be very quick and deal a ton of damage but when killed drops several morsels. And maybe it drops teeth which you can make into a razor blade that deals a ton of damage but has a very short range.

Hahaha I love this film :D

I don't know if such a strong monster rabbit would fit in this game.

Stay at a graveyard over night should be dangerous (except for Wendy).They could spawn at fullmoon and wander wherever they want aswell.

I'm ok with the ghosts idea only if they have snarky dialog when you talk to them.

I hope you don't mean that we're going to be fighting the ghosts. They're already dead, you know.

Also, in regards to the flood, perhaps it should be that only the coastal biome that other people suggest (a beach or something) should flood occasionally, and after it does, there should be shells and crabs left on the ground.

I'm ok with the ghosts idea only if they have snarky dialog when you talk to them.

I hope you don't mean that we're going to be fighting the ghosts. They're already dead, you know.

There are already ghosts implemented and they start to attack you, so you have to fight them or run away. Also there's an special ghosts.. play with Wendy and you'll see.