No bait rabbit hunting

You can hunt rabbits even without traps. Just stand between a hole and a rabbit, then attack. Rabbit will run towards hole, but your character will hit it with weapon et voila.

If there is no any holes nearby, but there are island borders (ocean around) - just chase the rabbit towards the border until there were nowhere to run. Still - no traps required.

The method Kasiornis described is by far the fastest, most efficient method of rabbit hunting.

I agree on the fastest, but not on the efficient, since using traps enables you to do lots of other stuff, chopping wood, gather berries and grass etc instead of chasing rabbits over the map. the traps do the work for you, which is imo way more efficient.

I agree on the fastest, but not on the efficient, since using traps enables you to do lots of other stuff, chopping wood, gather berries and grass etc instead of chasing rabbits over the map. the traps do the work for you, which is imo way more efficient.

I disagree, traps take more time to set up and more resources to make.

Don't forget that you need to spend time gathering resources, placing traps and checking them after some time.

No-trap hunting is more efficient because you can do it just passing through and obtaining 1 morsel will take 2-3 seconds instead of minutes.

I checked both options. I spent half of a day gathering supplies and placing 5 traps, and when I returned i got 5 morsel at the end of the day. Then I spent another day and half checking traps and reusing them. Summary - 2,5 days for 25 morsel. And I did some other stuff, but not a lot anyway.

The second option gave me 26 morsel in one day. And I can do all that I want, having enough food for 2-3 days concentrating on my tasks.

I have to agree it's far easier to go with trapless rabbit hunting, as I've been doing it since the beginning (well, not the VERY beginning... it dawned on me a few days into my first game). If traps didn't degrade, then yes, I would say trap hunting is more convenient, but the fact of the matter is they do degrade every time they are used.

IMHO, only bird traps make sense since you currently cannot hunt birds (Gobbler excluded) without one. On which is better, baited vs non-baited... it's hard to say as I tend to just use my surplus berries. I have seen birds land right on my trap though without any bait.

Now if rabbits had more than one hole to choose from, then simply cutting them off from their escape route would become that much harder and force the use of rabbit traps... or maybe bait (i.e. simply leaving a vegitable out on the ground to lure a rabbit).

Don't forget that you need to spend time gathering resources, placing traps and checking them after some time.

No-trap hunting is more efficient because you can do it just passing through and obtaining 1 morsel will take 2-3 seconds instead of minutes.

I checked both options. I spent half of a day gathering supplies and placing 5 traps, and when I returned i got 5 morsel at the end of the day. Then I spent another day and half checking traps and reusing them. Summary - 2,5 days for 25 morsel. And I did some other stuff, but not a lot anyway.

The second option gave me 26 morsel in one day. And I can do all that I want, having enough food for 2-3 days concentrating on my tasks.

your math sadly seems to be a bit off.

for one, spotting the right rabbit hole, circling around it to get between the rabbit and the hole, and then charge it sure takes more than 2-3 seconds. Besides, I never said it isn't faster than traps, it sure is.

concerning the traps, well, you don't spend the day trapping rabbits, you do it during the night, in your camp. I make 25 morsel a night with traps, I don't need 2.5 days for it. The resources I need for the traps are again gathered during the night, in my camp, the grass I have in there allow me to make about 8 or 10 traps if I so desire, I usually don't though, because I only need 2-3 morsel a day, since I don't cook them on the fire, but in my crock pot, at night, while I hunt rabbits with traps, together with berries, that I gather at night, in my camp. You see where I am coming from?

I already mentioned somewhere that active hunting is totally viable at the early start of a new game, until you have a base camp that allows you to stop active hunting and go for trapping, because during the day, I am busy chopping wood, killing tentacles and spiders, and mine stones, anger piggys etc. Creating food is something I only care to do during the night, when I have nothing better to do.

I admid though, I do enjoy chasing gobblers during the daytime once in a while, everyone needs a hobby I guess.

The reason I like the traps is that well...they hold the meat for me so I don't have to figure out storage space for them in chests or what not. I also like that traps show up on the map, so having them on the rabbit holes reminds me where I ought to go to hunt the things, and after a while, even though there's a rabbit in every trap, there will still be rabbits running around like crazy.

I'm for trapping myself for the fallowing reasons

A) It's green, the resources used are 100% renewable (unlike using axes,etc)

B) I don't have to actively do anything. It's like the old Ronco slogan "Set it and forget it!"

C) I place my camp fire between 3+ holes. and I can Trap all night repeatedly (~3 times per hole pre night). And if you place the traps right you can catch the rabbits every time. Even when they where just going to pop their heads out (but not really come out).