Is it possible to kill the Misery Toadstool with Wilson SOLO?

Seriously, I've killed all the bosses in my world, but just thinking about making more than 10 Weather Pains gives me a headache. I really would like to kill the misery toadstool version without character swapping, without cheats. Just using the character I started my world with until the end.

I don't mind using a cheese strat, but it seems like Klei made sure to remove all the cheeses... I can't think of anything to kill him! Except for characters that have damage bonuses and characters like Woodie, Webber, and Winona, I don't see how it could be possible!

image.png.119323e94d18139c70293494b93bd50c.png

• Like 1

Does the flingo freeze still work? I tried to do a test scenario but i don't know if I did it right... I put flower on the grown e casted the Star Caller's Staff but The toad gets unfrozen for no reason.  Seems he gets unfrozen when another snowball from flingo hits him.

I mean, the deal with misery toadstool is the slog that he is.

• So bring a star caller staff with more than 30% durability(you will need to replenish the stars mid fight);
  • A celestial crown, a lot of sanity food(safely stored in a icebox nearby);
  • A bunch of glass axes;
  • Based on how many FW you have killed, you can use two or three bone armors untill he starts to use the stomp attack;
  • Burn the sporecaps with fire staffs/torchs, while they burn, use this time to lure the toadstool away from that part of the "arena" so you don't have to deal with the spores on the ground.

other tips are to use the thulecite club or go with Shadow rift gear, like the reaper with the cowl for the bonus and the umbralla on the ground can protect you from the falling rocks;

I've seen a WIckerbottom use her grumble bees to kill the normal version, so I guess that you can also use killer bees;

Recently one guy used spiders too, I think that you can hire some spitters with the spider queen hat and wait for the acid rain.

the tools are there, you just need to be creative (search in the youtube).

2 minutes ago, Aldair Reis said:

Does the flingo freeze still work? I tried to do a test scenario but i don't know if I did it right... I put flower on the grown e casted the Star Caller's Staff but The toad gets unfrozen for no reason.  Seems he gets unfrozen when another snowball from flingo hits him.

I think that you need multiple of both (flowers and flingos)

47 minutes ago, Aldair Reis said:

Needs at the least 6 flingos and 16 butterflys

The problem with this fight for me is I started to play without rollbacks which makes this the most resource expensive boss to learn. I think people expect you to just copy what you see in a youtube video but that doesn't account for learning errors. Pretty certain that very few players actually kill this boss because its so miserable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ridley said:

The problem with this fight for me is I started to play without rollbacks which makes this the most resource expensive boss to learn

kill it in a test world 1st then?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aldair Reis said:

Seriously, I've killed all the bosses in my world, but just thinking about making more than 10 Weather Pains gives me a headache. I really would like to kill the misery toadstool version without character swapping, without cheats. Just using the character I started my world with until the end.

I don't mind using a cheese strat, but it seems like Klei made sure to remove all the cheeses... I can't think of anything to kill him! Except for characters that have damage bonuses and characters like Woodie, Webber, and Winona, I don't see how it could be possible!

image.png.119323e94d18139c70293494b93bd50c.png

you can do this. 

• Big Ups 1

1 minute ago, Gi-Go said:

you can do this. 

OMG, I mean... He killed within 9 in game days, which means 9 x 8 minutes... Well... he killed with more than one hour of fight!
Also, he's good as hell in this game, so,  I'm gonna change my question:

Can a human being kill this boss as wilson?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Aldair Reis said:

Can a human being kill this boss as wilson?

CHEESE WARNING!!! If you hate cheese - skip this message or you will be highly disturbed. I'm warning you, the psychological damage will be irreversible!

Spoiler

You know the lureplant cheese right? Just use that but instead of lureplants make a V shaped wall and put rock lobsters inside. Bait them with a thulecite piece (it will not get destroyed by earthquakes) so that they would walk in the center of the V shape which points towards toadstool cap. Then push the toad behind the lobsters so that he would get stuck in them, while the walls prevent the lobsters from being pushed. 

Or use 2 dreadstone pillars. Make dreadstone walls with construction amulets and then smash them using toadstool or anyone else you see fit. You get 10 dreadstone per green gem and you need 88. Do the math and see if it's worth it. 

50 minutes ago, grm9 said:

or you can use the strat used in this video to not need to spend an absurd amount of pan flutes and ice staves

I don't think 1 panflute and 3 ice staffs is an absurd amount... 

Edited by Gi-Go
  • Ninja 1
  • GL Happy 1

54 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

you can do this. 

Wilson be like:

7dd23f7bf890c06822e7e5f9ea685cde_w200.gi

Such a miserable boss. Since it isn't required for progressive and supposed to be a secret, I don't imagine it will ever escape the worst bosses in history dumpster bin.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ridley said:

Wilson be like:

7dd23f7bf890c06822e7e5f9ea685cde_w200.gi

Such a miserable boss. Since it isn't required for progressive and supposed to be a secret, I don't imagine it will ever escape the worst bosses in history dumpster bin.

You have to always remember that dst bosses are targeted towards multiplayer. I think toad and misery toad are perfect for a group of people who usually melt bosses in less than a minute. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

You have to always remember that dst bosses are targeted towards multiplayer. I think toad and misery toad are perfect for a group of people who usually melt bosses in less than a minute. 

Some bosses certainly are made to be fought in a group, but most bosses don't require a full on group effort.

If boss melting is an issue, I'd be shocked if people thought toadstool with more health is a fun solution. Boss melting could better be solved through something like how Klaus's power scales to hit every target in a fight.

• Like 3

Considering you have killed all the bosses, I would strongly recommend the bone armor (with a stack of nightmare fuel to repair it) and shadow reaper/void cowl combo with ~10 kits, along with the polar bearger bin with some foods, and a pillar nearby to block the debris from toad’s quake attack.

The reaper and cowl were made for bosses like toad. Toad will allow for more then ample opportunities to amp up the reaper’s damage while the bone armor will protect you from the boom shroom attacks throughout the fight and leave the damage amp intact, leaving only the pounds and the spore clouds as concerns.

Bring many moon glass axes and weather pains. You can get through the fight with ~2-3 pains if you constantly focus damage and only break the trees in the spore clouds with the pain, but that can be risky so I recommend 4-5 in advance to be safe. 

Bring your usual sanity and healing food in the bin, and only open it if you don’t have a spore cloud on you.

It is quite an endurance fight even with all the mentioned prep, but you only have to go through the fight once at least, unless you want multiple of the fancy bell adornments.

Edited by Maxil20
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

The reaper and cowl were made for bosses like toad. Toad will allow for more then ample opportunities to amp up the reaper’s damage while the bone armor will protect you from the boom shroom attacks throughout the fight and leave the damage amp intact, leaving only the pounds and the spore clouds as concerns.

Is reaper + cowl better than morning star + enlightenment crown? Assuming he got the infinite banana shakes. 

• Like 1

Yes, its definitly doable with any default damage character.

Its been a while since I've fought it so I wanted to try for fun.

Misery Toadstool no cheese under rain with Wilson, I used:

• ~4 days of fight
  • 3 morning star
  • 9 moon axe
  • 7 ice staff
  • 2 pan flute
  • 4 weather pain
  • 2 thulecite armor
  • 12 banana shake
  • 4 perrogies

It went a bit chaotic at the end, I could have use more moon axe and ice staff to rely less on weather pain and I highly recommand building a pillar against the earthquake.

Spoiler

image.jpeg.97db3f0307806294cca9d2295ed84a5b.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Is reaper + cowl better than morning star + enlightenment crown? Assuming he got the infinite banana shakes. 

The enlightened crown with a dark sword/morning star/brightshade in optimal conditions will perform better (~roughly 90 damage with cowl+scythe vs. ~110 with the crown + sword/star), just that you will need a lot of sanity food to upkeep the crown, and you also will need to substitute protection elsewhere since you lack the cowl’s 80% damage resistance.

I can see an argument for both, I just prefer the cowl/scythe combo since it’s considerably safer and you do not need nearly as much sanity prep. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcwell said:

You can do it but it's going to take a while no matter what your method is.

Here's one that takes less than 30 minutes at least:

That's what i'm talking about!! A strategy that can be done even with wes. Thanks <3 <3 

• Like 1

Maybe possible to do this quicker on first phases with some bunnymen and one man band? Store bunnies in a small space, lure toad closer to one of ponds where bunnymen are caged and released to havoc on it? Unless it can get distracted by bunnies instead of player then it might be a problem.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Maybe possible to do this quicker on first phases with some bunnymen and one man band? Store bunnies in a small space, lure toad closer to one of ponds where bunnymen are caged and released to havoc on it? Unless it can get distracted by bunnies instead of player then it might be a problem.

I'm pretty sure the aggro behavior is the same as Dragonfly and Bee Queen. They prioritise the player until they get too annoyed by other attackers.

• Like 1