What's the Scaled Chest and other Itens purpose after the update ?

Legit questions, I've seen the stream showcase about the first update of the year, but that left me thinking about some topics.

1. Unlike the regular Chest, the Scaled Chest could hold 3 more itens, making it a total of 12 slots, but with the release of the update, the difference between these 2 is insane, one can hold 999+ materials in all of his slots, making it possible to have multiples resources at abundance in only 1 chest, while the other at best can store 480 of the same item if full. Not to mention that being fireproof nowadays in DST is not the same as it used to, we have giant trees, the new Deerclops eye item, books that can make it rain during the summer, ice flingomatics, etc. So my question is, what is going to happen with the scaled chest post update ? It barely got any skins or purpose besides being a biggr chest anyway, why power creep it rn ? 
  2. Are Fridges/Salt Boxes getting the same treatment ? Like a bigger salt box, but now you can place your recipes, or even more ingredients, a fridge that can hold many thermals at the same slot ? or even just boost every stack to 999, is this gonna be a thing as well ? Because they serve the same purpose as a chest, one holds materials, the other holds food (and the other other one holds ingredients for longer).
  3. Miscellaneous itens like the Tin Fishin Bin, the Takle Box, Seed Pack it, Candy Bag and others will also be upgradable ? I really don't undestand their point other than being a niche way to store their niche items, but worse because they have a stack cap, why make an item with more storage to hold a certain type of gear if you can just build a chest and have space for infinite amounts of the same gear.

These are I think the biggest doubts I have about this upcoming update, I LOVE the idea of a better chest with unlimited amounts of space to just dump your items and not worrying about making 40+ scaled and normal chests in your base, maybe a chest that can be shadow allied and share the same stuff between the others nearby (kinda like a discount Maxwell chest), or even a lunar allied chest that holds 999+ itens for each slot. But I think making it such a easy change, just use an item on a chest and It will grow (like cmon, a taller chest?) out of nowhere and become a bottomless pit for items and not needing to kill an endgame boss or exploring the world for a blueprint is kinda of a bummer to me, seems power crept and minimum and unbalanced/not well thought at max.

• Like 1

Dragonfly chests will eventually get the upgrade, they are still working on it for the beta.

Iceboxes, saltboxes and Tin fishing bins are not getting an upgrade AFAIK. They purpose is more focused on keeping food/fish fresh than it is about storing them, otherwise, we'd be using chest to store them

I do agree that the candybag should get an upgrade to stack size.

EDIT: The seed packet could get an upgrade I guess. I just bundle the seeds tbf

Edited by Juanasdf
  • Like 1
  • Health 1

I don't see any point in making tall scaled chests when regular tall chests are more than enough. What we really need is a way to store nonstackable items instead of leaving them on the floor. I think this is what direction klei should take with scaled chests. Give them a whole lot more slots. 

I don't see what the point of tall ice box or salt box would be since you barely need any food at all. Having a few is enough. 

Your third point dosen't make sence to me, all the items you listed are designed for transporting resources (except for seed pack it, which is a random useless item designed to give shell shards some kind of purpose). 

Also also, you don't need an endgame boss for blueprint because you need endgame boss for an ingredient. What's the difference? 

40 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Also also, you don't need an endgame boss for blueprint because you need endgame boss for an ingredient. What's the difference? 

OP said they've only seen the update showcase stream where there was no recipe for the item yet, and the devs back then just said "It's an end game item though some of you might get it very quick"

Edited by Juanasdf

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

I don't see any point in making tall scaled chests when regular tall chests are more than enough. What we really need is a way to store nonstackable items instead of leaving them on the floor. I think this is what direction klei should take with scaled chests. Give them a whole lot more slots. 

That’s literally what I said, now that a normal tall chests is better, we don’t need a downgraded, more expensive, and harder to get version of a normal chest.

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

I don't see what the point of tall ice box or salt box would be since you barely need any food at all. Having a few is enough. 

They serve the same purpose as the chest but for food, it’s strange that they would not get the same treatment, and with farm combinations, lots of honey and kelp, one can easily be overwhelmed with food ( in my experience playing Walter for the sauces, most of my honey, garlick and pepper were used, but I would still have lots of other vegetables and stuff).

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

Your third point dosen't make sence to me, all the items you listed are designed for transporting resources (except for seed pack it, which is a random useless item designed to give shell shards some kind of purpose). 

These items are already niche items only used in super especific situations, you don’t need a candy bag unless there’s dozens of candy in your world because of HL or trading with the pig king, lures can me avoided just by using a bigger version of it, and let’s be honest, no one’s spending the whole day in the ocean fishing for small trouts, so this confuses me because now there’s no reason at all to have these items other than “I like to prepare for everything” or you need every single help for transportation that exists.
The only transport item that comes close to those is the Bearger Bin, but it is miles better than everyone in the list.

2 hours ago, Juanasdf said:

Dragonfly chests will eventually get the upgrade, they are still working on it for the beta.

That's a BIG relief, I thought they were going to make Scaled Chests useless, at least now I don't need to hammer every single one in my base just to get my resources back.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bernado1 said:

They serve the same purpose as the chest but for food

Food spoils. 

45 minutes ago, Bernado1 said:

These items are already niche items only used in super especific situations.

So there is no point in changing them. 

18 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Food spoils. 

But it takes some time to do, Even if I leave it on the groud, It would still take some time, and I would be wasting food for nothing.

18 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

So there is no point in changing them. 

They still have the limit cap at 40, not infinite like the new chests, if the goal is to help endgame and mid game players, they should just make an item that provides a stack boost to every container item in the game, not just 1.

5 hours ago, Bernado1 said:

But it takes some time to do, Even if I leave it on the groud, It would still take some time, and I would be wasting food for nothing.

Are you seriously telling me a couple of ice boxes with 9x40 food slots is not enough for you? Who do you play as? nikocado avocado?

5 hours ago, Bernado1 said:

They still have the limit cap at 40, not infinite like the new chests, if the goal is to help endgame and mid game players, they should just make an item that provides a stack boost to every container item in the game, not just 1.

Do you seriously have a need to carry around 999+ candies? Who do you play as? Willy Wonka?

• Haha 1
  • Hunger 2
  • Wavey 1

15 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Are you seriously telling me a couple of ice boxes with 9x40 food slots is not enough for you? Who do you play as? nikocado avocado?

Do you seriously have a need to carry around 999+ candies? Who do you play as? Willy Wonka?

Some people have all creativity but no life. Their goals are beyond your understanding.

In all seriousness though the chest upgrade is a massive improvement, bundles which store a lot and preserve food; Just organize! Mini signs are literally cheaper than the actual regular chest and easier to get than the bundle.huge candy bags that (are cheaper than actual dirt) Are nearly he size of the krampus sack! How is this not enough storage? If you need this much storage, your world is probably lagging! This is  all my opinion though, so this might be just me.

Edited by Trontar

Posted (edited)

IT REALLY HAPPENED, THE NIGHTMARE OF HAVING TO REBUILD A WHOLE SECTION OF MY BASE IS OVER

image.png.c2d78e04939c66790fec41159bcb0933.png

Spoiler

This is the latest dev update on the beta branch, so no need to worry about anymore.

Tell me you don't have a bee/kelp/spider farm with other words :

20 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

20 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Nah, I don't like roleplay.

4 hours ago, Trontar said:

If you need this much storage, your world is probably lagging! This is  all my opinion though, so this might be just me.

IT IS ! That's why this is such a huge change and scaled chests should not be left behind the normal wood ones.

Edited by Bernado1
  • Shopcat 1

If they ever this the ice box a Upgraded version, it should just have a separate refrigerator crafting recipe dropped from ice deerclops ( his ice cyrstaleyezer is useless to me even in summer or trying to get a bit of ice.) or just the abandoned junk. It’s a weird and kind of unrelated suggestion but the tall icebox would really look like a fridge in the constant.