SCALED FURNACE SHOULD HEAT CONTENT INSTEAD OF DESTROY

image.png.f36012deb0a24c8777b70ee9f480e070.png

Ok, so, We've got room for a processing option instead of a straight out destruction one. With this application, we can finally, potentially batch cook ingredients, perhaps heat up a stack of boards to get 20 charcoal, melt down scrap and gears to output ingots to facilitate for future patches.

Honestly, the possibilities are far more ambitious than a glorified eyeplant.

We're in the beta. We're in a part of the game where experimentation is a requirement. Going further than just "DESTROY" would add far more to the game than it would take away.

Besides, superheat can also act as a method to destroy items too, instead incinerating them into ash if they aren't something that can particularly be processed with the use of heat and fire, like clothing. Clothing can be turned to ash.

I'll probably bump this myself over the course of the beta if it gets no outside attention. I couldn't care less if I'm the only one who backs this idea. I think it should make it in. 

Edited by chirsg
MORE EYECATCHING TITLE, ALSO A MISTYPE
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

No need to shout, jeez. Batch cooking is an interesting idea though

I found this mod that makes the scaled furnace instantly heat thermal stones + cook food + turn wood to charcoal + make everything else ashes. I’d love to see these features in the base game

Edited by EatenCheetos
  • Like 3

This is amazing,. 

And also if Klei thinks the scaled furnace as it is is kinda overtuned, maybe we can have an upgraded furnace that can do the same.

We have so many amazing possibilities here

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, twitchgabo said:

This is amazing,. 

And also if Klei thinks the scaled furnace as it is is kinda overtuned, maybe we can have an upgraded furnace that can do the same.

We have so many amazing possibilities here

Another use for the crown shard!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

image.png.bab9581a6715346c0189ea60ac29f564.png
 an additional button to differentiate between incineration and simply heating could make everyone happy.

We have our cake and eat it too < Worst analogy in the world, but nothing else fits.

I truly believe that having a sole garbage disposal is us being grateful with a half eaten donut, the half missing, eaten by someone who has spat it out 2 seconds later.

Klei MUST have known the potential for batch cooking. A healthy precedent was set in shipwrecked and not a single sapient soul was ungrateful to it's addition, and many, including myself have begged for it's return. Here we are at the precipice. There's an obvious, stuck out like a sore thumb opportunity to add it in, and it's omitted. 

I'm flabbergasted. 

Edited by chirsg
  • Like 3
  • Sanity 1

20 hours ago, EatenCheetos said:

No need to shout, jeez. Batch cooking is an interesting idea though

I found this mod that makes the scaled furnace instantly heat thermal stones + cook food + turn wood to charcoal + make everything else ashes. I’d love to see these features in the base game

It can heat thermal stones if you place inside and don't press destroy. 

20 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

It can heat thermal stones if you place inside and don't press destroy. 

To the maximum though with 1 furnace?

That's another problem I've had with the scaled furnace. Early/late winter and spring when you're able to freeze from wetness, you rely on having a maximum heat thermal stone and waiting 3 minutes just to take a 2 minute trip from where you were heating and having durability go down on the stone is a weird thing.

2 hours ago, landromat said:

no it shouldn't. It's a furnace, not oven

You shouldn't put food in a fire pelican either, but it worked in the past and it was a beloved feature. You probably shouldn't cook on the back of a fire maggot either, yet it's something that happens in game, dst even.

Probably shouldn't cook on a miniature dying star. That's in the game too.

Probably shouldn't cook on antiquated archaeological torches, ala hamlet, yet you can do so.

I think certain allowances and exceptions when it comes to day to day common sense should be taken a lot more lightly than shoulds and shouldn'ts when it comes to the realm of 1:1 real life common sense.

All I want from batch cooking is to save a bit of time and save clicking multiple times with my poor, beaten down and underpriced wireless mouse. 

• Like 4

The concept of heating sounds good. After all, this structure is heavily utilized for cooking ingredients. Just like how an astral detector can be utilized as a light source after the quest, or how an eyebrella isn't solely used for blocking rain but can serve other purposes, like the shadow scythe being used as a weapon, and the brightshade helm being utilized not just as armor, I believe the functionality of a specific item shouldn't be limited to its name. Moreover, the furnace is also listed in the dictionary as being used as a boiler.

• Like 2

For me, the best function was the one that Klei brought. They can even improve, but hopefully they don't remove the function of destroying items. Having to keep using Lureplant or creating wraps to disappear items is tedious.

What I see makes a lot of sense would be the possibility of creating charcoal by burning wood, but, to be honest, it's very easy to obtain charcoal in abundance.

On the other hand, destroying items that have become trash in your world is more complicated.

So the latest update demonstrates the reluctance of the devs to apply batch cooking to the scaled furnace.

In personal protest, I will not be using the scaled furnace to incinerate items. 

You may read this and not care, but as it stands, it's a reminder to me that we had a PERFECT opportunity to add batch cooking into the game, yet we didn't get this one single luxury. Not having batch cooking in the face of a "Container" function to the scale furnace will infinitely just irk me and item disposal isn't something that's so valuable to me when I have a method to hoard 99999999 stackable items in a single tall chest slot.

I believe we should get this in the future. No matter how much others will oppose it, it's a natural progression to cook a lot of things at once. It's a time saver. It's not something that maintains value in the long term. You can't even store cooked ingredients in the bearger bin, don't even get me started on jerky.

But cooked things start to lose their value as an actual food source later in the game anyway. Later on it will function as a spoilage refresher when you get complacent.
Early into the game, you just save time. Like, you save probably 1/8th to a 1/4th of a day. 

I'm eager to see batch cooking in dst and all I'm saying is excluding this function from the scaled furnace is a missed opportunity.

TL;DR, I disagree with the decision to exclude batch cooking from scaled furnace function and it would be a missed opportunity to exclude it from updates going forward.

P.S.  batch crafting in general is honestly a natural and organic progression to respond to production surpassing processing in scale. Later on in the game, you can potentially harvest hundreds of components in a single click with various methods. This is not a bad thing. But processing will always be capped at a fixed speed. There is a bottleneck that ends all bottlenecks and quite frankly, the only reason it's there seems to be to add an artificial barrier to having things.

Sawhorse processing is extremely exciting and very rewarding. Such things honestly should apply to other concepts. Cooking is due.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I like this idea more.  Just have the button convert anything in it into what it would be after burning / heating.  Thermals will top up to 65 degrees, raw food will become cooked, things that get ashed will become ash, and things that become nothing will become nothing (destroyed.)

I don't see why its only a destroy feature.

• Like 2

I really liked how Fire Packim worked. You put the items in and close him, if the item is food, it is cooked. If the item is burnable, it is ash.

Was really hoping this kind of functionality would be added to the furnace, but just allowing it to trash items alone is a decent compromise that I'm cool with.

• Like 1