34 minutes ago, _zwb said:

"A sense of accomplishment for those with nothing else to live for." Isn't that obvious enough?

Considering Mike appears to be praising its ingenious design, apparently not :crushed:

2 hours ago, _zwb said:

The point of accomplish shrine was to mock achievements though?

"A sense of accomplishment for those with nothing else to live for." Isn't that obvious enough?

Yeah, completely. I'm just playing the contrarian, don't mind me. 

4 hours ago, comonavi said:

Considering Mike appears to be praising its ingenious design, apparently not :crushed:

Achievements are a way to get players to play the game in a way they otherwise, wouldn’t even do.

For example- Did you know that there’s a secret boss fight in the Batman Arkham games if you can successfully string together a whooping 300 hit combo without using ANY of your gadgets & without being damaged?

Who in their right mind is going to do that? But for the few who can & do- They’re treated with some hidden content.

Theres also a very well known achievement in both Spelunky 2 & Left 4 Dead 2, where you need to pick up a prop in the first level of the game, and carry that with you throughout the rest of the game to the last level (dropping & defending yourself when needed) 

In Spelunky in particular it’s the only way to open the final “final” biome in the game, and see the games real ending.

But even before games EVER had achievements… I was collecting the 7 chaos emeralds in Sonic the Hedgehog to get the games “Good Ending”

• Wavey 1

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Achievements are a way to get players to play the game in a way they otherwise, wouldn’t even do.

I'd say it's a design failure needing explicit objectives to keep people playing the game when the game requires you to explore on your own. It's a sign that the exploration is not engaging enough that people lost interest in it.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, _zwb said:

I'd say it's a design failure needing explicit objectives to keep people playing the game when the game requires you to explore on your own. It's a sign that the exploration is not engaging enough that people lost interest in it.

One thing that I believe would make exploration better is a speed boot like coffee. One thing that a lot of people complain is having to walk a lot, what is a big waste of time. In DS everyone used to drink coffee, enjoy that and celebrate that that game became more enjoyable. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

One thing that I believe would make exploration better is a speed boot like coffee. One thing that a lot of people complain is having to walk a lot, what is a big waste of time. In DS everyone used to drink coffee, enjoy that and celebrate that that game became more enjoyable. 

Not everyone.  Coffee, with the ds numbers, is totally imba and alot of people refuse to use it or edit the code to make it less dumb

23 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Not everyone.  Coffee, with the ds numbers, is totally imba and alot of people refuse to use it or edit the code to make it less dumb

Coffee is so good bro :wilson_wink:

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Did you know that there’s a secret boss fight in the Batman Arkham games if you can successfully string together a whooping 300 hit combo without using ANY of your gadgets & without being damaged?

This might work... if you had to pull together ridiculous amounts of resources, build a stupidly expensive structure, then use it to take yourself to an extra challenging mode/area/thing... that would fit the theme of DST a bit more than a 300-hit combo(!!!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _zwb said:

Yeah but see that is your opinion, but how else are you going to get players to drive down the street in the batmobile, hit the “eject” button, grapple to a nearby roof, double tap and hold A so instead of landing on the roof you propel yourself upward into the air, and then glide across the skyline landing back down on top of an enemy vehicle to snatch the bad guys clean out the drivers seat?

You wouldn’t even know you COULD do that without the achievement giving you step by step instructions to do it.

3 hours ago, Habakkuk said:

I have to disagree with adding “coffee” into DST, the Beefalo Bell & riding a FurCow is the DST equivalent of Coffee. You can get yourself a FurCow & begin riding it as early as Day 1.

• Wavey 1

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah but see that is your opinion, but how else are you going to get players to drive down the street in the batmobile, hit the “eject” button, grapple to a nearby roof, double tap and hold A so instead of landing on the roof you propel yourself upward into the air, and then glide across the skyline landing back down on top of an enemy vehicle to snatch the bad guys clean out the drivers seat?

You wouldn’t even know you COULD do that without the achievement giving you step by step instructions to do it.

I have to disagree with adding “coffee” into DST, the Beefalo Bell & riding a FurCow is the DST equivalent of Coffee. You can get yourself a FurCow & begin riding it as early as Day 1.

I want give coffee to my beefalo as we can in DS. 

• Sad 1
  • GL Happy 1

Achievements aren't going to ruin DST lmao. Classic forums over-reaction. Besides, if Klei added achievements, they would most likely be cryptic/endgame anyway. DST already has pretty defined goals for most players anyway, which is to kill all bosses. Obviously megabasers create their own goals, but at that point in a world the game becomes a sandbox.

On 3/11/2024 at 12:25 PM, The Starver said:

Klei Entertainment are morally opposed to achievements.

Oxygen not Included has 45 achievements. All achievement runs are fairly common too.

• Like 2

If Klei adds Achivements I will lose most of my faith in dst and klei since in ps4 version they literally made a thing mocking achivements so if they add it i feel like the game is going to become even more and more casual.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

What is this

you're saying giving players step by step process to do things is what validates achievements? What even are tutorials? Does DST even have those? Has dst ever made a step by step tutorial of how to fight a boss or how to farm or survive a season?

Also, about the accomploshrine

Screenshot_20240315-203733_Chrome.png