Maxwell's skill tree wishes

duelists should ride infused terror beaks 

i think when Maxwell refuels the codex with pure horror the next certain number of Spells are infused and looks slightly different do to being infused you know either the red adding more detail to the design 

shadow sneak:  bigger range 

Shadow prison: last longer 

Shadow servants: more health and range

shadow duelist: more health and attack strength

Charlie’s rose should have the same spike attack as bramble arm but with planar damage 

If they do make a lunar alignment for him(I don’t think they will):

maxwell is now able to fuel his REGULAR codex with either brilliance or horror depending on which alignment he chose, effectively giving it 3 different charges for 3 different groups of spells (or 2 because you can't fuel it with all 3)

If 1 charge runs out then that spell group is off limits until it is charged.

if powered by pure brilliance codex umbra becomes codex lunares or codex penumbra 

Edited by Dr.Webber

2 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Terrorbeaks do 5 damage crawling horrors do 2 damage. Now that's some serious risk right there. 

Huh and here I thought nightmare were the most common deaths of players. Techinically nothings a threat if you're good enough, but if that's the case I don't see why you need a change clearly they're not even registering no?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Huh and here I thought nightmare were the most common deaths of players. Techinically nothings a threat if you're good enough, but if that's the case I don't see why you need a change clearly they're not even registering no?

From how much I argue you might get the impression that it's a huge issue for me, but that's not the case. I simply engage with relies since I have free time. Every suggestion in the list is just a QoL improvement that won't matter much at least to experienced players. That's why I want this it to be affinity skill. People who die to shadows never killed fuelweaver so this "threat" remains for them.

As for me, I just don't want this mildly annoying thing to happen constantly: (3:05) 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

From how much I argue you might get the impression that it's a huge issue for me, but that's not the case. I simply engage with relies since I have free time. Every suggestion in the list is just a QoL improvement that won't matter much at least to experienced players. That's why I want this it to be affinity skill. People who die to shadows never killed fuelweaver so this "threat" remains for them.

As for me, I just don't want this mildly annoying thing to happen constantly: (3:05) 

I feel like you misunderstand that mildly annoying thing is supposed to be the downside to using his magic therefore removing it would not be qol but a straight up buff by removing his downside without putting in the effort.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I feel like you misunderstand that mildly annoying thing is supposed to be the downside to using his magic therefore removing it would not be qol but a straight up buff by removing his downside without putting in the effort.

Well it's a bad downside and I don't want it. I disagree with game design choice. Good downsides are the fact that nightmare fuel is used, and that the cage has worse effect on bosses and especially attacked bosses. Insanity creatures ruin fun, Maxwell-original strategies to the point where using generic ones is just less of a pain. 

For exsample I like to not use flute and no walls on df because I have cage and thus it is more fun to restrain them with my unique abilities. But oh boy I am gonna get punished for using my perk wow what a downside i guess I'll just do this then, and won't cast a single cage. Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

They just want Maxwell to be extra op because they want to T_T

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mykenception said:

They just want Maxwell to be extra op because they want to T_T

What do you think Maxwell's affinity skill/s should be?

The suggestions seem to be asking the skill tree to replace the things you are supposed to play around.

Example: Maxwell doesn't need more sanity regen, there are a ton of items that will make your sanity go up super fast, even wearing a tam or eating sanity restoring foods. 
Maxwell can take advantage of tams, celestial crown or even bee queen crown extra regen. Even at his cheapest day 1 early game he gets almost 10 sanity/min wearing his magician top hat. He’s still the best at passive sanity management.

The bone helmet already removes most of your insanity problems at a high risk-high reward gameplay: you may die after you remove it or if you missclick over the nightmares, but you are at your highest power wearing it.
 Beefalo taming is your best friend. Speed to dodge damage is your second best friend (EG: cane and magi)
The workers are super annoying bringing you stuff you do not want already they dont need to bring more stuff than what they do now. Also they dont need to be able to pick everything for you, as you also have lazy foragers like everyone else to complement them, plus, if played maxwell right, an over abundance of fuel at any time to use.

Maxwell duelists need to deal planar damage (not much, maybe 2-3 damage each, or 5 just during their special attack) and that’s probably the only straight up buff maxwell really needs. The others can very well be side “flavor” perks that do not impact his core gameplay that much, IMO. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

he gets almost 10 sanity/min wearing his magician top hat

it doesn't increase sanity because it counts as a magic item, like night armor and dark sword

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The workers are super annoying bringing you stuff you do not want 

Skill issue. Manage them better. 

1 hour ago, grm9 said:

it doesn't increase sanity because it counts as a magic item, like night armor and dark sword

Misinformation 

there are a ton of items that will make your sanity go up super fast

What kind of Maxwell main puts even a little effort into sanity management??? Is there an actual reason to have more than 35 sanity aside from pretty colors? 

Also they dont need to be able to pick everything for you.

Yes they do need to. Other characters don't have the same luxury but that's not a good reason to ignore AI failure of shadow workers.

Maxwell duelists need to deal planar damage (not much, maybe 2-3 damage each, or 5 just during their special attack) and that’s probably the only straight up buff maxwell really needs. The others can very well be side “flavor” perks that do not impact his core gameplay that much, IMO. 

Couldn't agree less. What the hell is the point of having planar defence at this rate if every character has a perk to break it. I killed regular bearger with duelists and then I killed moon bearger with duelists dealing planar damage. Awesome. Can't wait for planar damage merms, planar damage alarm clock, planar damage Abigail and planar damage volt jelly. 

29 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Misinformation

it isn't, check yourself in game

29 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

I killed regular bearger with duelists and then I killed moon bearger with duelists dealing planar damage

you can already kill all mutated bosses using clones easily so that wouldn't change anything

Edited by grm9

1 minute ago, Gi-Go said:

Now I'm confused. It does give sanity to every character but Maxwell? 

yes, because maxwell's sanity doesn't get affected by magic items e.g. magician's top hat, dreadstone armor and helm, night armor, dark sword etc.

19 minutes ago, grm9 said:

you can already kill all mutated bosses using clones easily so that wouldn't change anything

I think it would make a difference kinda like wearing magician top hat makes a difference. 

2 minutes ago, grm9 said:

yes, because maxwell's sanity doesn't get affected by magic items e.g. magician's top hat, dreadstone armor and helm, night armor, dark sword etc.

Sorry for accusing you of misinformation when I'm the one who is misinformed 

Just now, Gi-Go said:

I think it would make a difference kinda like wearing magician top hat makes a difference

clones deal 40% damage when wearing it in comparison to not wearing anything with a shadow level, they would deal about 11% more damage if they'd deal planar damage, it also wouldn't change much since it'd only speed fights up a bit and make you spend 1-2 less nf

1 minute ago, grm9 said:

clones deal 40% damage when wearing it in comparison to not wearing anything with a shadow level, they would deal about 11% more damage if they'd deal planar damage, it also wouldn't change much since it'd only speed fights up a bit and make you spend 1-2 less nf

Fair enough. I'd still rather not get that small buff. 

On 3/14/2024 at 8:02 PM, Gi-Go said:

Good downsides are the fact that nightmare fuel is used

This isn't a downside it's a cost and not even a good one considering each cast only costs 1/5th of a nightmare fuel and you have a skill to convert mobs into variants that drop more nightmare fuel than you put in at all times if anything this is a major upside as it means the only real cost to his spells is sanity...which just so happens to also generate more nightmare fuel to cast more spells what a "bizarre downside".

that the cage has worse effect on bosses and especially attacked bosses. Insanity creatures ruin fun

The cage has a worse effect on bosses because you shouldn't be able to lockdown a boss like that it even breaks some bosses mechanics. Insanity creatures are the only thing to only real cost associated with Maxwell's playstyle removing them is equivalent to asking for Wurt to be able to eat meat or Warly no longer have food memory.

For exsample I like to not use flute and no walls on df because I have cage and thus it is more fun to restrain them with my unique abilities. But oh boy I am gonna get punished for using my perk wow what a downside i guess I'll just do this then, and won't cast a single cage. Thanks! 

Not to be mean but that's skill issue problem you can very much just manage your sanity as your casting via various means. Besides using the cage makes the fight far easier than using the flute while also being cheaper.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:02 AM, Gi-Go said:

Insanity creatures ruin fun

that's very much the downside of using shadow magic. Like insanity creatures is basically one of the major downside of not managing one of your main stats. All stats ought to be well managed for you to perform properly.

if you don't want to deal with insanity then rush for bone helm or turn on the moonstorms and fight during the night

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 1:02 AM, Gi-Go said:

Well it's a bad downside and I don't want it. I disagree with game design choice. Good downsides are the fact that nightmare fuel is used, and that the cage has worse effect on bosses and especially attacked bosses. Insanity creatures ruin fun, Maxwell-original strategies to the point where using generic ones is just less of a pain. 

The downside of nightmare creatures spawning is literally the biggest problem Maxwell has and if you remove that what does he have? He is already the best character in the game.

Nightmare fuel being used is a downside? Maxwell can cast 5 for each. It is not a downside and nightmare fuel is so easy to gather in large quantities.

This is the biggest joke, comparing Maxwell's nightmare fuel usage to downside.

On 3/15/2024 at 1:02 AM, Gi-Go said:

So don't cast the cage and build walls like all the other characters need to?

On 3/11/2024 at 5:04 PM, Gi-Go said:

Maxwell is currently my favorite character and I can't imagen him getting even stronger due to skill tree. So instead I'd like to suggest skills that don't really buff him but will make me a lot happier when I'm playing. 

My biggest issue with your thread is asking for buffs while saying you aren't asking for buffs.

It is normal to want your main to be stronger but why do you need to lie and say that it isn't a buff when it is a straight up massive buff?

I main Wanda and I don't want to see her nerfed and actually want to see her skill tree have buffs or character improvements that make her easier to manage.

Also, Maxwell is literally the strongest character if you include Wicker's books in his kit and no one can compare. I don't care much about balance and don't think matters that much as this is a sandbox game but you can't really expect such massive buffs to the strongest character.

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

What kind of Maxwell main puts even a little effort into sanity management??? Is there an actual reason to have more than 35 sanity aside from pretty colors? 

You literally requested a massive sanity regen for maxwell… why would you want something that you can already do with very cheap options like a tam or even a top hat, what does it improve of Maxwell?

18 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

What the hell is the point of having planar defence at this rate if every character has a perk to break it. I killed regular bearger with duelists and then I killed moon bearger with duelists dealing planar damage. Awesome. Can't wait for planar damage merms, planar damage alarm clock, planar damage Abigail and planar damage volt jelly. 

That’s not my idea, thats how its developing for most characters and probably where its gonna go to. Adding planar to his duelists is the main thing that would adapt his perks to the new content, but even if they don’t change him at that, it doesn't really matter much because of what 00petar00 said: 

1 hour ago, 00petar00 said:

Maxwell is literally the strongest character if you include Wicker's books in his kit and no one can compare. I don't care much about balance and don't think matters that much as this is a sandbox game but you can't really expect such massive buffs to the strongest character.

Part of the fun of playing is getting and doing things that would improve maxwell over the course of thr game, like gathering sanity food early game so you can use your powers and not be killed by nightmares, then killing FW, etc.

Most of the buff suggestions the original post did was to make maxwell even more “leave spawn portal day one, go do all bosses with nothing” themed. He already needs very little to do that.

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 4

I'll just toss my note on the "max's skill tree ideas" pile...

I would love to see any perks that make it so Maxwell can interact with magic in ways specific to him, like new ways to use gem-staves or amulets, or even just special ways to get purple gems. 

perhaps new shadow imbued attire, or perhaps a magic tool that would keep shadows from attacking him for a time but not if he's using his codex or using shadows to fight. (a shadow ward? umbral repellent?)

I always thought max was cool because he seems like he has potential design wise to do a lot of cool stuff, but I was never sure if he should lean more into the whole "puppet master" or "magician/wizard" side of things. 

I should assume due to his bargain he seems to have made with Charlie in his animation (and his darkness quote changing to "I suppose its best to keep up appearances") that Maxwell will probably have the "reverse wormwood treatment" of being bound to shadow and no lunar affinity, but perhaps more options similarly. 

If Maxwell had two sides to his affinity options, what would they be? Shadow-minions or shadow spells? would love to hear thoughts on that.

In response to the sanity stuff for Maxwell, after killing bee queen, I go out to sea and find waterlogged biomes, then I trap and kill the grass gators (3 in each biome drop'n 7 leafy meat a pop) and make sure I have honey farms going for jelly salad for 50 sanity a pop. My other options are setting up fish farms with boats and trawls and storing them on the ships for loads of surf and turf, being a wonderful food for all stats requiring little maintenance once set up.  

• Like 1