About random setpieces and mini biomes.

I know a lot of people say the new junkyard looks out of place. Some say the same for a little drama stage and etc. too.

This is just my personal opinion but i think they are great and i love them. It gives me minecraft hexxit mod vibes from some time ago. That feeling when you see a new mystery structure, it's so nice.

Constant is supposed to be like this, there should be some oddities in this weird little dimension. Every so often you should see story elements from setpieces like this. It's visual story telling and something to stare at other than trees, grass and saplings. 

There's so much empty space and nothing to see in the majority of the mainland, and biomes are very boring to see without setpieces like literally it's the same 3 assets to stare at. 

Also if they were to add a new island for every new setpieces that would look worse.

Imagine Klei Introduced the Maxwell statue setpieces today, people would explode. People don't complain when they see Maxwells unnatural influence with clockworks and marble setpiece on constant but oh no when Einstein does it, it's "out of place".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It’s great to shape the story with "out of place," but junkyards do a terrible job of it.

Maxwell Set Piece works because it is the only and widespread mystery structure in the world.  You can see one of them in the forest, then another on the prairie, they are different but have the same theme and similar content, and you feel that they are related to each other,  all about that tall mysterious man you meet at the beginning of the game, and there are secrets waiting for you to discover.

In contrast to the DS of that time, the whole world of the DST was filled with a bunch of random objects didn't relate to each other without any story elements. Junkyard and stage  didn't seem any more special than a big beehive in the wild or that stone table in the woods, they don't inspire curiosity, they just feel like another stupid random things.

Edited by Cassielu
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 1

22 hours ago, Cassielu said:

In contrast to the DS of that time, the whole world of the DST was filled with a bunch of random objects didn't relate to each other without any story elements. Junkyard and stage  didn't seem any more special than a big beehive in the wild or that stone table in the woods, they don't inspire curiosity, they just feel like another stupid random things.

In a way, sure. But also not really

I'd say that the new reign don't stick out like a sore thumb. They fit the game's world and feel like its natural part.

On the contrary, I'd say that if they were added today, then they would feel out of place as the Gigantic Beehive would most likely have a 3x3 tile setpiece with honey puddles or crystalized beeswax

• Like 1

Alright so here’s the deal- Before Maxwell took up the throne the constant was mostly empty void, Maxwell created most of what we experience, and then after him canonically he was De-Throned by Wilson.. If Maxwell can’t remember what he made during his time on the throne who knows what kind of horrors Wilson had wiped from his mind. Then there’s Charlie.. who seems to be “fighting” against whatever’s trying to posses her, you can see glimpses of this in the starting animation where she struggles deciding rather she wants to hurt or help Wilson or to pretty up or spookify her surroundings, then we see it yet again when she abducts Winona in her animation.

We also have a story going on with the game world itself where Charlie seems to be “removing” maxwells reign, by coiling her signature rose thorn’s around his statues.

Then there’s Wagstaff and whatever the actual hell he is up to with funny Moonstorm shenanigans & Electronic scraps.

Whats my point? You guys are so head strong on “this doesn’t fit DST” when the reality is that DST is molded by whoever occupies the nightmare throne+ whatever Wagstaff is doing.

And a Funky Scrapyard Biome doesn’t feel anymore out of place to me then Monkey Island spit out unstable portal.

• Thanks 1
  • Wavey 1

i honestly think the junkjard looking out of place fits really well, Wagstaff is actively tampering with the constant.

the dude created an entire monkey island because the car battery inside his door frame in the middle of the ocean exploded.

Edited by marshyds
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • GL Happy 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:35 PM, BalkanCockroach said:

It gives me minecraft hexxit mod vibes from some time ago.

so you're saying it feels........... modded.

• Haha 1

hey don't take this the wrong way but technically you did say the new set pieces feel like modded Minecraft, I'm not putting words in your mouth..... I'm just rephrasing it in a way to make it look like you're saying the new content feels modded, but you did say that, Technically. Whether or not it makes you feel good is your opinion, which I respect. 

image.png.8746069fcaecf5b9fe5aa5b86eaa8e72.png

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhackE said:

hey don't take this the wrong way but technically you did say the new set pieces feel like modded Minecraft, I'm not putting words in your mouth..... I'm just rephrasing it in a way to make it look like you're saying the new content feels modded, but you did say that, Technically. Whether or not it makes you feel good is your opinion, which I respect. 

image.png.8746069fcaecf5b9fe5aa5b86eaa8e72.png

You're goddamn right i said it.

Screenshot_20240309_211211_Google.jpg

Edited by BalkanCockroach
  • Haha 1

Okay so Wagstaff does funny stuff, Monkey Island appears out of unnatural portal.

Instead of the new update just having a scrapyard, I would’ve loved to have seen an in-game animation of the biome appearing for the first time (like chunks of metal just fall out the sky randomly)

The obvious reason why- Same way a monkey island plops right out an unnatural portal, there’s a portal up higher in the air (maybe above the clouds) that this junk just fell out of.

Not only does it make a heck of a lot of sense lore wise, but it would’ve been so cool to see in-game.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 1
  • Wavey 1

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The obvious reason why- Same way a monkey island plops right out an unnatural portal, there’s a portal up higher in the air

I don't think the junkyard is brought over by another failed portal. It's probably Wagstaff making stuff and throwing it away you know like the abandoned junk after rifts

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

5 hours ago, gamehun20 said:

don't think the junkyard is brought over by another failed portal. It's probably Wagstaff making stuff and throwing it away you know like the abandoned junk after rifts

Idea: the scrap yard should periodically increase in size the farther you are in progression (being medium sized during moonstorms and being large during moon rifts)

• Like 1

I'm fine with setpieces in general, as long as the amount of them, proportionally, doesn't feel like it's crowded or cluttery re: the overall world size. Heck, there's a couple of older traps (that were briefly in DST, in fact) that I'd be quite happy if they were brought BACK:

Specifically, the Summer and Winter traps. Those are EVIL and I love them. They cause instant environmental havoc, changing the entire feel of the game immediately--but in a PvE way, not a "huge amounts of monsters swarm you and you suddenly have to be good at combat" way. It's a Man* Vs. Nature thing.

(*Or Woman, Girl, Spiderboy, Robot, Merm, etc. Sentient Being vs. Nature.)

(rambly explanation below)

Spoiler

Now, I GET it, I understand WHY they were removed. In multiplayer, with people who want to troll or just plain don't know, one person going "Owo wat's this???" and innocently opening a nice, tempting chest in the middle of the wilderness, can be a real problem for not only them, but everyone ELSE in that server. But you know what? We now have a similar mechanic that IS in the current game--the Terraria chest. Somebody can open that and spawn the eyeball boss for OTHER people to deal with. So that "lol open chest = ha ha" mechanic is not actually gone.

But you can have the Terraria chest OR NOT in your game; it _exists_ on the menu as a toggleable option. What I'd love is a way for each player who starts a new game, to decide which setpieces they want to avoid or not--including good ol' singleplayer DS Adventure Mode ones. In cases of smaller, responsible groups who know each other and decide they're okay with it, the summer/winter traps are kinda like having a Random Seasons mod (which apparently all nowadays...don't work properly anymore! None of them!) without needing mods. So CONSOLE players could also experience the sudden having to think on your feet-ness of unexpected season changes.

IF they WANT to. I'd like it if it was an OPTION. Maybe, it could be among so many other options that people who don't look for it on purpose and just want to get the game started, couldn't see it right away. So there'd be less chance of it getting toggled on accidentally. But if someone knows what they do and WANT to spice up their game with a little random-seasons mod--when they might not even be able to use mods at all!--it could be fun.

...and WAS, at least for me. Because one time, in early DST, 2016, a friend of mine on the server accidentally opened a summer chest in the middle of winter, and the confusion, realisation, and scrambling to deal with the suddenly-changed circumstances, was one of my best memories of the game. :)

Also, I know Klei obviously doesn't want us doing this, because they keep adding bosses and mechanics that kinda REQUIRE group play (or being really good/tricky at the game in order to cheese it) but environmental, challenges really spice up singleplayer play. And I know some people do that in DST. Because I'm one of them. DST has a different world and feel from regular DS, significanly nowadays, in fact, and sometimes you wanna play with that, without working around other peoples' schedules.

Tl;dr: Setpieces that can cause problems should be an OPTION for those who are ready for it and willing to mess with it--and we've already got a "lol I open chest, everybody ELSE has problems" setpiece in the game now, anyway--the Terarria one. It has a toggleable world-generation option; so the summer/winter traps, if they were back in the game, could have that too.
Also, give us more control over which setpieces spawn in our game in general. There's an old mod that used to do this, but again, not everybody can use mods.

...Notorious

• Like 2

Honestly I’m not a huge fan of the set piece thingys because they’re always sorta.. well predictable & the same? Like okay as just one example the Briar Hounds only exist around Charlie’s stage play stuff, but I feel like they would’ve been way more entertaining & fun if they would had been scattered about in a bigger biome & it would be a random gamble on if that is actually a brair bush you can pluck for resources, or if it’s a scary brair hound in disguise. 

And with it being a set piece you don’t really get that.. you know that they only spawn HERE, and they’ll do this.. ONCE.. but after that you’ve experienced it & know what to expect.

Same as that pretty pre-built base of wood with the inviting chest you open and well- y’all know the rest of this story..

Its predictable, and in a game where Klei promised more random generation, things being this predictable is no fun.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Wavey 1