Shadow Versions of Bosses

Honestly the update adding the horror versions of the bosses was probably my favorite one in the ark so far. They are all so creepy and add some cool new ideas to the bosses we know and love. This brings a new question however... What will the shadow bosses be like? If the shadow rift is underground does this mean we get shadow versions of like toadstool? I honestly think a shadow version of dragonfly would be cool, (especially after a certain update), with the red and black colors on her scales. Perhaps even a shadow Spider Queen to be an equivalent of the Varg. What do you think would be cool boss to be shadow-fied? What new attacks would they had? What kind of item(s) would they drop? What would they look like? Will we even get shadow bosses? Let me know your thoughts I'm genuinely curious.

Edited by Squidyfoo
  • Like 7
  • Wavey 1
  • GL Happy 1

image.png.3e172c01a43991d112072ddcfbfae205.png

Blighted Toadstool by @Notecja lol.

Nope, we didn't consider doing anything with it or its features outside of the design. But if it gives anybody ideas, might as well let us know... maybe we'll do something, eventually, possibly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Ninja 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 2
  • GL Happy 2
  • Spooky 1

32 minutes ago, ADM said:

Nope, we didn't consider doing anything with it or its features outside of the design. But if it gives anybody ideas, might as well let us know... maybe we'll do something, eventually, possibly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Woah that's insanely cool! I can imagine the red bombs shooting off and blowing up just like the little parasites.

• Like 3

I don't like the idea of have a different version of the same boss.  I am Afraid to look to DST in the future and see that everything we had was a remake or a different version of the same thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

I don't like the idea of have a different version of the same boss.  I am Afraid to look to DST in the future and see that everything we had was a remake or a different version of the same thing. 

Welcome to NG+, where creativity and fun go to die.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Sad Dupe 1
  • Potato Cup 1

12 hours ago, ADM said:

It should be linked to acid rain, and it can create murisma clouds.

I’m not a fan of reskinning the same boss with one or two new attacks, if there HAS to be new bosses, let them be actually new and unique..

Theres only so many times you can fight Deerclops, WinterFeast Deerclops, and Lunar Horror Deerclops until your bored of Her.

• Like 1

I’ve actually been wanting and imagining lunar/shadow mutated bosses long before they’ve been added. In particular, I’ve always wanted a shadow antlion. I think you could give her a fun design, and I’ve always imagined changing her sand spikes to shadow hands reaching out of the ground to grab you. (You could do other things too, another idea I have is antlion summoning reskinned depths worms which would be long shadow hands/arms, and they’d be chasing you the entire fight).

before they added crystal deerclops, I had the idea of a shadow deerclops in my mind, with his antlers being turned into massive shadow hands and his eye being turned into a mouth, kirby boss style.

• Big Ups 1

I would much rather the shadow rifts introduce a different mechanic than corrupted bosses. I think there are more than enough surface bosses to make lunar variants of (though I do hope if Klei does this that the bosses all actually feel unique and not like reskins). The caves, however, currently only have four bosses, one of which has been revealed to reappear on the surface (Nightmare Werepig). So that leaves toadstool, fuel weaver, and ancient guardian. Toadstool and its misery form are already a slog fest to fight, so I can't imagine having to fight another variant. The other two options could maybe turn out well, but if there's only going to be two shadow mutated bosses might as well just scrap the concept and introduce more to the surface.

I think a potentially fun shadow rift mechanic would be corrupted biomes. Turn all of those boring cave biomes into active threats that reward the player for mapping the caves. Be rewarded with new shadow magic items that bring some unique function to the endgame to help with resource farms and such.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Maxposting said:

it should pop and die when a sharp flint falls directly on it

Ha, that's the mini game.  It is completely immune to damage, and if you attack it a pustule pops and a slurtle slime like material shoots out.  If it hits you it knocks you back and gets you stuck like ewecus.  While stuck it deals damage per second.  5 damage to your health, 20 to your armor if you're wearing any, and 2 ticks of wear to any clothes.  You can get freed with teamwork, like ewecus.  BUT if you dodge the stuff it lands on the ground, and can be lit to trigger a cave in.  During the cave in if a piece of flint falls on shatoad's mega pustule it pops and he falls limp giving you a 5 second stun to hold F b/c that is how all planar bosses work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the Bee queen fight, It would be cool if after she dies, lunar hail starts and it cuts her wings, then she turns into of those walking zombified ants. They could even add an attack similar to RockJaw concecutive bites, but with her stinger. She would crawl while constantly screaming and throwing large amounts of pale yellow liquid at you.

• Like 1
  • Wavey 1

What about multiple boss fight wave of infested by shadow parasites depth worms which their lure is a red mite like the fellas that spawn from the shadow rift

The only boss fight where we fight more than 1 boss at "once" are the twins which is kinda meh and their loot has become less important with the new planar stuff

Edited by arubaro
  • Like 1

Yeah uh if they do this I won't ever bother to engage with them because most cave bosses are either fine as they are or downright sadistic in their design, like toadstool with the insanely high hp with only like 2 attacks.

• Big Ups 1

2 hours ago, Antynomity said:

Yeah uh if they do this I won't ever bother to engage with them because most cave bosses are either fine as they are or downright sadistic in their design, like toadstool with the insanely high hp with only like 2 attacks.

Im sure the process of making Toad was like:

-Dang, we made this boss but it's attacks are super easy to dodge and this guys also really slow. How can we make it harder?

+More HP more Defense more more more more MORE!!

-Wouldn't that drag on the the boss fight and make it obnoxious and less engagi-

+MORE!!!!!!!!!!

On 3/5/2024 at 9:39 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not a fan of reskinning the same boss with one or two new attacks, if there HAS to be new bosses, let them be actually new and unique..

Theres only so many times you can fight Deerclops, WinterFeast Deerclops, and Lunar Horror Deerclops until your bored of Her.

I think the example you brought is exactly an example that I love. I like how there are three versions of it and each one has its own particularities (ok, Winter's Feast version not so much)

Honestly it would be so cool if shadow side effected a normal creature and turned it into a boss. Like a shadow infused mole that grew in size and had new attacks and behaviors.

Would parallel what the moon does but with its own unique twist. The moon mutates boss creatures while shadow side turns innocent creatures into bosses.

Edited by -Nick-
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, -Nick- said:

Honestly it would be so cool if shadow side effected a normal creature and turned it into a boss. Like a shadow infused mole that grew in size and had new attacks and behaviors.

Would parallel what the moon does but with its own unique twist. The moon mutates boss creatures while shadow side turns innocent creatures into bosses.

A mole boss could drop a drill to create land on caves