Is it possible for other followers to follow you in/out of caves, like Wormwood's?

As you might know, Wormwood's followers can follow him in and out of caves, which is great! But I still wonder, is it possible for other followers to do so too? Like, is there some unique property Wormwood's followers have that makes it possible for them, or would it be doable for the rest of em, theoretically? Cause like, it would range from just handy (no need to summon Wicker's bees in another shard if you want to use em in both), to greatly convenient(much less tedious spider transfer, great for getting some spitters or dwellers, and generally just nice to have) to very helpful (no need to rebuild the whole kingdom from scratch underground for Wurt, still would have to make a king currently though).

So, basically, what I'm asking is, is it a possibility? Like, from a technical standpoint, at least?

• Like 7

Beefalo can also follow you. I believe things following you across shards was a problem when the game first started (so they made Hutch), but they have since solved the problem and made it possible.

• Like 1

Shout out to Wormwood somehow being one of the first follower characters to get inter-shard traveling summons before like, Webber.
I'll never, EVER stop being amazed by that.

But yes, oddity aside, I really want traveling followers. Let me bring my repaired clockworks to my home up-top, dang it!

• Like 5

22 hours ago, skile said:

So, basically, what I'm asking is, is it a possibility? Like, from a technical standpoint, at least?

From a very quick test it seems like all worms followers have the "wormwood_pet" tag. part of that tag might allow them to travel between shards, you'd have to look into the code to see tho. But you could definitely give tags to other followers and probably allow them to do it too.

image.png.20ee35b701bdc768ed889a8fd2fcb3e7.png

Edited by Sustenance
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sustenance said:

From a very quick test it seems like all worms followers have the "wormwood_pet" tag. part of that tag might allow them to travel between shards, you'd have to look into the code to see tho. But you could definitely give tags to other followers and probably allow them to do it too.

image.png.20ee35b701bdc768ed889a8fd2fcb3e7.png

interesting. 

1 hour ago, skile said:

interesting. 

so adding the tag doesnt seem to do anything by itself at least. ive looked and at minimum it controls the despawning of the followers, but possibly more? I wasnt able to find out what causes them to go through shards for worms follower or beefalo. im sure someone more knowledgeable could tho

• Like 1

While there would be associated concerns I honestly think this would be something worth tackling - the caves and the surface feel more disconnected right now than they should, and taking the steps to reduce that would be quite good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

While there would be associated concerns I honestly think this would be something worth tackling - the caves and the surface feel more disconnected right now than they should, and taking the steps to reduce that would be quite good.

Doing it for Webber would be a no brainer since there are 0 issues.

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Like 1