Is it possible..??

Cave update  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Water in the caves.

• No.
    • Yes.

Is it possible to add calm waters to the cave void? We could get biomes like flooded caves with big waterfalls from the ocean at the edges end, also some light on random spots with illuminating stunning views.

Comment more ideas and if this is a stretch or no.

Calm waters.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

no? those are ponds with glass shards forming not big water tiles you can place a boat on

Why would you want to repackage a gig that the surface shard should fully take care of, instead of giving the caves something more unique like lava pits or something?

• Like 5

I feel like flooding would fit pretty nicely with the cave rifts, possibly flooding certain biomes certain times a year like mush forests in one of their off seasons. Combining boating with caves also seems in line with the game's current trajectory, given that current endgame involves doing a lot of each respectively (caves for Charlie and boats for Wagstaff).

It might not be a bad way to incorporate some Shipwrecked stuff, like tar, jellyfish, or any number of volcano things. It also might be a fun opportunity to expand on Wavy Jones, which has genuinely been the most fun I've had with the boats. Maybe ghost ship type stuff where enemies will direct your ship to specific places (ideally high risk places with worthwhile rewards) or abandoned boats with loot on them that try to sail away with you when you board 

Of course, this all runs the risk of becoming pirate raids 2.0 if it's half baked. If it's all work and no reward or frustrating to the point of avoidance it would be obnoxious. Additionally, plenty of these ideas could also be incorporated into the still "meh" surface oceans so idk if it's a smart idea to dive into cave oceans just yet.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, D_Good_Fellow said:

abandoned boats with loot on them that try to sail away with you when you board 

what would prevent you from simply placing a grass boat after they start going away and rowing back to main boat?

8 minutes ago, grm9 said:

what would prevent you from simply placing a grass boat after they start going away and rowing back to main boat?

Nothing specifically, but dealing with that on top of other threats like enemies in the water, cave-ins, or Wavey Jones messing with your original ship could make for a challenge. There's nothing to prevent you crafting a torch, but Charlie still exists and juggling too many tasks at once still gets players killed by her sometimes. DST is all about little challenges stacking on top of one another.

Loot/threat balance would have to be a thing, but those details are for people better at math than I.

3 minutes ago, D_Good_Fellow said:

There's nothing to prevent you crafting a torch, but Charlie still exists and juggling too many tasks at once still gets players killed by her sometimes

problem with this is if that the ships won't despawn at any point, you could just kill all enemies nearby before going onto it after making sure that you have 1 grass boat and 1 oar and there's nothing that can interrupt you nearby

1 minute ago, grm9 said:

problem with this is if that the ships won't despawn at any point, you could just kill all enemies nearby before going onto it after making sure that you have 1 grass boat and 1 oar and there's nothing that can interrupt you nearby

I mean, yes. Preparing the necessary resources and making sure there are no enemies or interruptions nearby would be the intended solution here. I don't understand why that's a problem.

The freeze rod trap on the surface works like this: you go fully insane as blue hounds attack you if you just take it, but if you defeat the hounds first and prepare sanity restoring items, you're good. In fact, I would argue that most of the game's challenges can be solved with adequate preparation.

Of course for late game loot to be worthwhile t has to be better than a freeze rod and therefore harder to acquire. So tougher enemies and more threats to boats would probably be necessary. Like I said, someone better at math than I would have to figure out exactly how much challenge to add to balance it appropriately.

15 hours ago, Baark0 said:

Hamlet styled ponds could be cool, but until the atrium becomes less obnoxious to navigate I'd prefer if void walking wasn't removed.

You can telepuff a couple of time of reaching the atrium for free...

I think it would be cool to have some places in the caves which the void isn't just an empty void of nothingness, either fill it with water or lava or something. Probably the entire cave shouldn't be that way though only a special biome or few

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baark0 said:

Costs sanity and lazy explorers, not free

I misswrote that. Wanted to say "instead of for free" 

10% or even 15% of a lazy explorer isnt a bug price and less for reaching a boss with the loot of FW...