Great Animated Short. (Plus bonus speculation on pig and merm rivalry and the mud)

One of the best. I like this new animated short system. I enjoyed the previous "Tales of the constant" one too. There is so much fun to be had here.

Also, this short makes me wonder, do the pigs and merms fight because they want to have territory of the mud in the swamps? If so, that is a fun bonus way to justify their rivalry other than the hidden gorge lore (basically the pigs betrayed the goats and caused themselves and the land to suffer), the merms being the goats.

Mud in dst?

Maybe mud can be added to dst too! It would be great to see this ingame. Imagine merms (and wurt) swimming in the mud of the swamps, shallow enough to walk knee-deep in. And then, pigs sometimes invading the swamp can come to try claim the mud for themselves? It would add so much interaction and worldbuilding to them. Honestly a great idea i hope Klei considers, it would improve the swamp atmosphere and ecosystem too. The swamp will be more swampier than before.

Screenshot_20240214-204204_YouTube.jpg.8d6915cee89d5cc6809a8ac255ce7903.jpg

Maybe we can fish in them too?

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Like 11
  • Health 1

For a moment when they fell into the caves, I thought we were about to get Nightmare Werepig lore.

My headcanon is that the swine somehow, at the last second, got a hold of Pure Horror and transformed, killing the spiders but failing to save the fish. Very tragic. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

Now that I am home, this almost certainly confirms my suspicions. I feel like they're planning a follower based update.
That makes two well animated shorts featuring a follower character now. (One stealing a very important spotlight, cough cough...)

I am absolutely feeling like they're putting blocks down for some sort of follower touch up, making them more lively. I'm not going to get my hopes up incase it's all just for shorts sake, but the hints are there if it does happen. Especially considering the Cult behavior mention from the crossover a while back.

Also, side note, mud was another cut thing I'd like to see in the game! I'd love some plashing puddles in the world.
image.png.95979b9c02e6d63851850e3750c90fbd.png

• Like 13
  • Ninja 1
  • Health 1
  • GL Happy 1

1 minute ago, -Variant said:

I am absolutely feeling like they're putting blocks down for some sort of follower touch up, making them more lively. I'm not going to get my hopes up incase it's all just for shorts sake, but the hints are there if it does happen. Especially considering the Cult behavior mention from the crossover a while back.

Last time around people expected Treeguard changes after the inevitable short and pig raids after Wx's lore video. Not to mention that people expected Dfly changes for the YotX event.

Although this time around we do have the CotL commentary by the devs

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Now that I am home, this almost certainly confirms my suspicions. I feel like they're planning a follower based update.
That makes two well animated shorts featuring a follower character now. (One stealing a very important spotlight, cough cough...)

Also, side note, mud was another cut thing I'd like to see in the game! I'd love some plashing puddles in the world.
image.png.95979b9c02e6d63851850e3750c90fbd.png

I felt the exact same. I just never mentioned that it could be foreshadowing because it is a fun goofy trailor.

They mentioned a follower rework thing in the cult of the lamb QNA. Though keep in mind this was under a prompt for things that would be good to add from other games (i think? It was a prompt of something)

Just now, Szczuku said:

Last time around people expected Treeguard changes after the inevitable short and pig raids after Wx's lore video. Not to mention that people expected Dfly changes for the YotX event.

The 1st one seems kinda dumb, i don't see anything new about them in their. The 2nd one was really odd so this mud thing could be a one off. The dragonfly changes context is non comparable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Ahaha, this is why I slipped the "I won't get my hopes up" bit in last second.

I can very easily see this just being the animators having fun, but I can't lie and say I don't have a sliver of hope. Somewhere around here. There's potential. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I mean, they did the book skin with the pig and the merm before, they likely just wanted to continue the joke. Thankfully it was that and not shipping survivors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

One of the best. I like this new animated short system. I enjoyed the previous "Tales of the constant" one too. There is so much fun to be had here.

Also, this short makes me wonder, do the pigs and merms fight because they want to have territory of the mud in the swamps? If so, that is a fun bonus way to justify their rivalry other than the hidden gorge lore (basically the pigs betrayed the goats and caused themselves and the land to suffer), the merms being the goats.

Mud in dst?

Maybe mud can be added to dst too! It would be great to see this ingame. Imagine merms (and wurt) swimming in the mud of the swamps, shallow enough to walk knee-deep in. And then, pigs sometimes invading the swamp can come to try claim the mud for themselves? It would add so much interaction and worldbuilding to them. Honestly a great idea i hope Klei considers, it would improve the swamp atmosphere and ecosystem too. The swamp will be more swampier than before.

That would be really cool!

• Like 1

I think it would be cool if Wilba was added + Wurt and her would be friends after she was properly educated and she would give the pigs a choice either drop there prejudices, follow wilba in embracing there curse, emerging form dust or keep there prejudices, follow pig king in his ignorance, falling to dust 

this short shows in the right situation they can get along 

• Like 2