What Would gem worms be like?

What if they used ruins gems? What do you guys think gen worms would be like? Maybe they will be support and provide buffs to other worms? Here is an idea for one:

Green Worm

Has a green gem instead of a glowberry. Heals nearby worms overtime, and deconstructs any non pillar structures it runs into. Ignores structure pathfinding because of this. 700hp.

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Like 1

It would be horrible, that's what would be: if that "Green Gem Worm" of yours ended up as a in-game thing, almost no one (not cheesing) would base in Caves anymore (from among the very few that do so currently) because of the sheer impracticability/annoyance of it - now with post-Rifts boulders (littering everywhere down below, in pubs) & acid rain ("Just have your hand-slot occupied with an umbrella variant because yoohooo, what a joy!") already checking the "what a load of manure" box. And all this "but pathfinder is blatant exploit, KLei pls fix, my day is ruined bc I can't stand seeing people using it and my willpower not good enough to stop me from using as well" means no more emergent game-play and fancy clever farms, aka massive downgrade of what one can do in mid-to-end game. Plus you already know from lore and what that "beloved" Uncompromising Mode of yours did with Gem Worms: Red - starts fires/sets player in flames; Blue - freezes player and mobs; Purple - slows down; Yellow - go with more fire, bonus if electrocuting players/mobs too; Orange - worm presses the "Nox" pedal "to the metal" and "VRRRRUM!" its way to speedy you into kingdom-come; Green - the "marvel" you mentioned. Oh the fun is over the roof, whop-whop! Maybe there's a good reason why KLei didn't go this route from start with Worms.

Edited by MostMerryTomcat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

would be pointless since you could outrun it like depths worms and would discourage using void stuff instead of brightshade stuff even more if they'd be able to outrun you

Edited by grm9

26 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

It would be horrible, that's what would be: if that "Green Gem Worm" of yours ended up as a in-game thing, almost no one (not cheesing) would base in Caves anymore (from among the very few that do so currently) because of the sheer impracticability/annoyance of it - now with post-Rifts boulders (littering everywhere down below, in pubs) & acid rain ("Just have your hand-slot occupied with an umbrella variant because yoohooo, what a joy!") already checking the "what a load of manure" box. And all this "but pathfinder is blatant exploit, KLei pls fix, my day is ruined bc I can't stand seeing people using it and my willpower not good enough to stop me from using as well" means no more emergent game-play and fancy clever farms, aka massive downgrade of what one can do in mid-to-end game. Plus you already know from lore and what that "beloved" Uncompromising Mode of yours did with Gem Worms: Red - starts fires/sets player in flames; Blue - freezes player and mobs; Purple - slows down; Yellow - go with more fire, bonus if electrocuting players/mobs too; Orange - worm presses the "Nox" pedal "to the metal" and "VRRRRUM!" its way to speedy you into kingdom-come; Green - the "marvel" you mentioned. Oh the fun is over the roof, whop-whop! Maybe there's a good reason why KLei didn't go this route from start with Worms.

The green worm is no worse than antlion. You hear the warning, you get out of base. It decons stuff so you get full materials back to rebuild anyway if this does happen.

I imagine it would only spawn during spring or something.

21 minutes ago, grm9 said:

would be pointless since you could outrun it like depths worms and would discourage using void stuff instead of brightshade stuff even more if they'd be able to outrun you

I had an idea of an orange worm which had an ability which made all worms dig into the ground, and then teleport around you for a surprise attack.

27 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Worms are bad enough compared to hounds. 

The loot however... endless duping from worm waves sounds :]

You cant really dupe anything of value since you are limited to structures and still need the amulet.

31 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

, almost no one (not cheesing) would base in Caves anymore

More people would base in it to farm green gems from green gem worms. Only one can spawn per wave.

9 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I had an idea of an orange worm which had an ability which made all worms dig into the ground, and then teleport around you for a surprise attack

30 minutes ago, grm9 said:

it would discourage using void stuff instead of brightshade stuff even more if they'd be able to outrun you

What is the point?

1- not challenging,  just annoying 

2- you could craft expensive structures with green gem in an area and let this unfun thankfully irreal mob go throw them to dupe materials without wasting green staff uses

As always, destruction would only bring tedium and free loot

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grm9 said:

It would be an anility with a cooldown. You will need to plan to avoid the attack.

It will have a casting animation and you can see when it is available using the gem.

4 minutes ago, arubaro said:

What is the point?

Flavour. (Also everyone is ignoring the ability it has to slowly heal other worms)

29 minutes ago, _zwb said:

This would be a perfect post rift mob as it fits the theme of creating barren of wasteland.

Good idea. It would also add a reason to activate riffs to farm ruin gems.

30 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

The green worm is no worse than antlion. You hear the warning, you get out of base. It decons stuff so you get full materials back to rebuild anyway if this does happen.

Build Stone/Dreadstone Pillars (Cave) - forget Antlion ever existed.

You get the materials, but the (faulty) placements? Especially for decorative items?! Am in no mood to redo my same aesthetic settings (uprooting plants, smashing stuff that takes more space like Crock Pots vs Fridges/Chests) on-and-on solely for some mob to fukk them up for no reason whatsoever aside "Haha, your design got rekt, hehehe!".

Not even addressing the "cheese" you could theoretically envision with these Green Worms duping your desired stuff.

31 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I had an idea of an orange worm which had an ability which made all worms dig into the ground, and then teleport around you for a surprise attack.

Thus... mandatory tanking massive damage? Where have I seen this before, hmm? Oh, "M0nke Piratu" that are so very "popular" - enough for KLei to have nerfed their spawn rates into oblivion; and people still turn them off from world settings. Much "fun" indeed.

35 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

More people would base in it to farm green gems from green gem worms. Only one can spawn per wave.

If they deconstruct your possible farm setups, the meager amount of players camping down below will still not bother (you outrun them and they become someone else's future problem - pub play, lel). Not when you can farm-"cheese" AFw with a plethora of methods and get easy Greens from statues. Not to mention DF farms with Catas/Tentacles/Twins etc - a lot more streamlined/reliable and entertaining than a critter deconstructing your settings. Tank, kite and spank? I don't play for 1k in-game days to do the same thing I do day 1-20 - I expect progress from this game, not "same thing from one end to the other"; else what's the point?!

3 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

(Also everyone is ignoring the ability it has to slowly heal other worms)

Basic "kill the caster 1st" strategy: "go for the eye" of the Green Worm, problem solved, no more healing; akin to Nurse Spider - always Nurse gets "ground pounded" 1st *wink*

7 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It would be an anility with a cooldown. You will need to plan to avoid the attack.

It will have a casting animation and you can see when it is available using the gem

1 hour ago, grm9 said:

it would discourage using void stuff instead of brightshade stuff even more

how would it even be a surprise if you'd be able to see when it's going to do that and how would you need to plan if they'd all get teleported so dodging would be the same regardless of the worms' positions and current anims

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

You cant really dupe anything of value since you are limited to structures and still need the amulet.

You can dupe thulecite. And i don't know why you're talking about the amulet when it's also made of green gems.

You can kill antlion once in summer before it gets cranky and never have to deal with it (which is what most people do).

Worms are all year round with no prevention.

A purple gem rift shadow worm is what you got me thinking about. But i don't want worms to get buffed tbh they're annoying enough as they are.

Edited by BalkanCockroach

If the mobs of DST had Gem Powers, then DST would effectively become very similar to Borderlands, and for those of you who have never played that game- allow me to explain, Enemies each had an Elemental Strength/Weakness.. so you had dogs that were Corrosive, Fire, Lightning, & Explosive. DST only has Fire/Ice mobs- Hounds & Klaus Gem Eyed Deers.

I could easily see what you are suggesting being some sort of “End Game” similar to how if you beat Borderlands it changes all the common and weak enemies (Aka the Skag pups you meet at the start of the game..) into stronger elemental types (badmother alpha elemental skags)

So in short: Yes a game HAS done this before as it’s “End Game” and it would be interesting to see it done in DST… but it would have to be some super super late actual “End Game” type stuff, or a higher difficulty.

Maybe they create AOE elemental explosion when they burrow during combat?

Sort of like Klaus' gem Deer attacks.

Yea gem worms could work.

At the moment Depth Worms are too easy to manage compared to Hounds so they could use some spice.

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

Good idea. It would also add a reason to activate riffs to farm ruin gems.

That was sarcasm lol, creating barrens of wasteland is not a good thing. Was that not obvious enough :lol:

• GL Happy 1

2 hours ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

Thus... mandatory tanking massive damage? Where have I seen this before, hmm? Oh, "M0nke Piratu" that are so very "popular" - enough for KLei to have nerfed their spawn rates into oblivion; and people still turn them off from world settings. Much "fun" indeed.

No you can dodge it.

2 hours ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

Stone/Dreadstone Pillars (Cave) - forget Antlion ever existed.

You get the materials, but the (faulty) placements? Especially for decorative items?! Am in no mood to redo my same aesthetic settings (uprooting plants, smashing stuff that takes more space like Crock Pots vs Fridges/Chests) on-and-on solely for some mob to fukk them up for no reason whatsoever aside "Haha, your design got rekt, hehehe!".

Not even addressing the "cheese" you could theoretically envision with these Green Worms duping your desired stuff.

Pillars never existed for ages for antlion. Also it does not uproot stuff. Just go outside base.

1 hour ago, BalkanCockroach said:

You can dupe thulecite. And i don't know why you're talking about the amulet when it's also made of green gems.

Oh yeah, you can use the turf making thing.  Also this thing only decons structures.

Eh, I do like the idea of enhancing worm attacks.  Fighting off 4-6 worms can be fun and challenging, definitely a lot for a newer player to take on - BUT - it also can be extremely easily handled with some experience.  Before hound waves were nerfed with the varglings I used to base in the caves to get away from the tedium of constant hound waves, but always felt the worms were too easy...

idk about this green gem unmaking everything it collides with though.  Sounds more like a griefing mechanic then an enemy.

Ruins gems aren't a bad idea though b/c it reflects the hound waves using red / blue gems.

I'd do:

Orange could teleport up to 3 tiles when it initiates its attack, and teleport 4-6 tiles away after attack recovery if it took damage.  If the orange worm hits with an attack the target is slowed -30% move speed for 15 seconds.  This would disrupt the standard kiting pattern and provide a bit of a surprise b/c you won't know if any are orange until they expose themselves above ground.

The yellow worm would glow on approach and move faster than other worms.  If it hits with an attack it spawns a glowstar.  The glowstar can ignite players and structures, cause overheating, and lasts for 60 seconds.  You can extinguish the glowstar like you would any flame, water balloons / ice / feather / etc.  This restores some fear of fire to caves fighting, but is not without counter play.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 1

This'd do nothing but frustrate people who want to base in the caves. Also, this could theoretically destroy every pseudoscience station without player intervention, and that's a big no. Also, preventing pathfinding abuse is going to annoy people who like making mob farms.

Worm variants, particularly post-rifts worm variants, could be interesting, though? I could see, for instance, zombified worms that get possessed by parasitic shadelings and become splitting husks after you kill them (each with less health than the last, splitting twice), as a parallel to what the moon does to hounds. Maybe they could drop rot and a pure horror as well as their usual stuff.

I like the idea. But structure destruction triggers some traumas from past "harsh game" mechanics.

I think structure destruction should be removed. Instead, I propose structure colonization similar to brightshade, but with the limit of 3 per world. A structure will be taken by the worm and inaccessible to players until it's cleared.

- The worm takes the structure and think of itself as a ruler of your base, hence, does not attacking you unprovoked.

- When dewelling on structures, it emits medium range light. Within the light range, it requires respect to a ruler, forcing players to bow to it from 15 seconds after idle (similar to BQ crown). Each bow cost players 3 sanity (because it's unwillingly).

- If the occupied structure is a pig house or rabbit house, it will kill its tenent and throw the loot out. Players are free to take them. Nearby pigmen and bunnymen will try to kill the worm. And almost all loot will be eaten by nearby pigmen and bunnymen, which is a typical DST deja vu. Players can design a new farm out of that mechanic. Dwelling Worm doesn't have aggression towards nearby mobs until provoked.

- If the occupied structure is a spider den, spiders will be slowly killed. When the den is empty, the den will start the process of conversion to Depth Worm den (a ruler of another sort). The den spawn 2 smaller worms a day (max 6). The small worm (500 hp, 50 attack) has 33% chance of dropping a lesser glow berry, 67% chance of dropping a monster meat. The worm den has a light purple ish web.

- When a colonizing worm (immobile worm) is killed, the next wave of worm attack is guarenteed to have a gem worm. You can kill a gem worm before its colonization to avoid this.

- The chance of having a gem worm in late game is 33% per wave, normally.

In additional to the gem worm mechanics, a new structure will be added to ruins

- Ancient Quarry (AQ): A mining site used by the Ancients.

AQ replaces one of the deepest thulecite mining site, and is another source of thulecites.

- It has good amount of thulecite and gem repository through its forgotten times. After being mined out, it slowly generate small amount of thulecite fragments, with a tiny chance of generating a gem.

- it's rather inconvenient and inefficient for players to farm it (except for Wanda or Wortox).

- it's where gem worms grab their loot. After grabbing thulecites or gems, their pride and arrogance gave them confidence to think of you as their ruled people, and they don't kill their people, (players have proved to be worthy by killing their puny armies).

- Gem worm is the designated way of farming AQ.

- ruin resets will restore the previous thulecite and gem repository.

Playable strategy in this mechanic

- new farm via pig house and bunny hutches

- new farm for glow berries

- new farm of thulecites (which is mutually exclusive to the farm above)

- new perma light source for late game with an obvious downside

- more reasons to (and not to) base in cave.

6 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Oh yeah, you can use the turf making thing.  Also this thing only decons structures.

It won't drop it's gem? Well that's not very high risk high reward. If i'm gonna kill a strong worm then i also want strong rewards.