What is your favorite character and why?

What is your favorite character?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite character?

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wolfgang
    • Wendy
    • WX-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woodie
    • Wes
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Warly
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Wurt
    • Walter
    • Wanda
    • Wonkey

Willow, obviously. Really like the character lore (And can relate, minus the whole burning down a building thing lol) and I love fire! (Volunteer FF ironically). In terms of gameplay, in the original at least I loved the "Punishment" that came with you not managing your sanity and the fact it was lower made getting sanity foods and things much more important considering how dangerous fire was in DS. I just like the mixture of the lore and how that transferred over, not to mention her slightly insane quotes. Just an overall amazing character. In DST it was sad to kind of see the changes of fire, despite thinking summer is the most boring season. With Bernie and stuff she is just an amazing character even more. I love Bernie he has helped me a lot. 

My choice isn’t even in the poll options, but I have to pick Charlie.

Charlie in the animated shorts seems to be (before being possessed) compassionate, kind and caring, so it is kinda heartbreaking to watch this entity take over her body and force her to do things she clearly doesn’t want to do- (just watch the starting animation of DST..) she seems to genuinely appear upset when she’s rescuing/hurting Wilson.

Charlie is this enigma of mystery, like you KNOW she’s not evil, but yet she’s doing evil things.. Or is She?!

So hands down no contest about it, the most interesting character in DST for me is someone you didn’t even bother to put as a poll option. Poor Charlie :( 

Personality-wise, Wickerbottom is my favorite!
I like her love for animals and plants, it's something that we both have in common. We both love cats, especially! Her quotes reminiscing about her cat at home make me really feel for her. 
I've seen people call the fact she shares a lot of information egocentric, but I think she just has a genuine love of sharing knowledge with other people. She doesn't share knowledge for self-centered reasons, but instead because it's something she just genuinely enjoys doing. Not to mention, she quite literally has a library's-worth of knowledge stored within her mind. I also think that a lot of players may get the first impression that she might be aloof or stuck-up, but after playing her for even just a little bit, you'll find that she's quite sweet. She's responsible for teaching the younger survivors in the Constant and keeping other survivors out of trouble. I appreciate her dynamic with the other survivors, it seems like she really cares about them and their wellbeing. In general, I just really like the attention to detail when it comes to the quotes. The little interactions between the survivors that you can find throughout their quotes are really nice.
I also really like the information we got about her from her short. She knew about the existence of magic but kept the information about it sealed away in her library, and not for selfish reasons. The official Youtube description for her short reveals that she kept the knowledge to protect people who might've stumbled upon it and gotten themselves hurt because of it. The lengths she'll go to for the sake of protecting the knowledge in her library is interesting to me as well. Once Maxwell shows up and opens the portal, she immediately begins to push her bookshelves into the portal, without fully hearing him out. I liked her before, but her short made me appreciate her a lot more.

I have a lot to say about her, but I'd like to keep it short! TLDR, she's a fun and interesting character and we have some things in common. 

I like weird characters. When I was first introduced to Don't Starve, I thought Webber was cool because weird spidey boy. Now I despise him, but that's another story. Many years later, I got Don't Starve Together. And Wurt just looked like they made her for me. Green (best color, no discussion), Fishy (Always loved fantasy water-related creatures) and a weird cuteness that brings me a little joy. I'm driven mostly by aesthetics, so I don't mind her gameplay being slow and not gonna lie, kinda tedius. Most people say her quotes are uninteresting, but I find them funny.

But if her design wasn't that amazing, My fav character would be Wilson for more reasons than aesthetics. But luckily we don't live in that world, do we?

For reasons unknown, every time I vote in a topic, I always pick the wrong option. For example, I voted Wigfrid. But, my real favorite is Wanda. I really like the fact that she's always in a hurry, constantly late, knows everything, yet remembers none of it, and uses pocketwatches and Gems to become very powerful. She's also the second most mysterious character, besides Woodie.

Walter.

Of course, I haven't played him much in the recent months, but before the YotB? He was the rider. Along with his other perks, like additional inventory slots and no sanity drain, he was actually really good. Now, I'm just awaiting for his skill tree patiently, cause like, what I like is still there, it just needs some tweaks and buffs here and there. 

Wigfrid. She's just empowering to play, making me feel unstoppable, even when I know I'm making stupid decisions in the game.

But I also like Wanda, because I hate walking.

Wanda. She is the most fun to play for me because of her utility - I love that I can get to places instantly, carry heavy objects through her own portals and even teleport between shards, and bring others with her too. I always tend to forget things at base before boss fights - not a problem with Wanda if I forgot celestial orb at base when I went to fight CC, I will just teleport back and get it.

I absolutely love her weapon. It's super satisfying to hear the sound of her clock at old age, no other weapon in the game has the same feel for me. But the actual reason I enjoy it is not even because of the damage and range but because it has no durability and can be refueled with nightmare fuel, which is easy to get for her. It's such a huge pain for me to always think "what do I need to carry for a weapon?" on every other character. Hambats spoil. Shield of terror can break, has to be fed with food or monster meat, loses more durability when you tank and has an incredibly annoying attacking animation to me. I feel like I'm attacking slower when I use it. If you bring ingredients for dark swords, they can run out and dark sword drains sanity so you also need more sanity food. Glass cutters and thulesite clubs break and you can't prototype them so you won't be able to craft one on the go. Rift gear breaks and you need to always carry repair kits to fix them. They also "jump" out of your equip slot when they reach 0% which is annoying mid-fight. Wanda just doesn't have this problem. You craft your alarming clock once and you are set up forever. If you run out of nightmare fuel, she can easily farm a new stack in less than a day. She is comfortable clearing the ruins in nightmare phase - I purposely go there and clear all shadow creatures because it's free nightmare fuel. 

Another great perk is always having non-spoilable healing on you. With 3 ageless watches she is pretty much unkillable with good armor. I play riskier and often carry just two and have an extra one at base. But the greatest thing about them is that she never needs to spend time and resources on making healing food. Her watches again will serve you until the end of the world. They don't break or lose durability, and the cooldown is manageable if you get used to it. 

6 hours ago, Cockroach Lily said:

Wilson because I can imagine myself actually enjoying having a conversation with him. Everyone else present in this poll is either a weirdo or Wes.

Warly is quite reasonable. Same with Maxwell, he's just a posh dude.

33 minutes ago, Just Ragnar said:

Warly is quite reasonable.

Yeah, I just forgot about him, I don't want my message to be wordy though.

34 minutes ago, Just Ragnar said:

Same with Maxwell, he's just a posh dude.

He is absurdly prissy, and did some pretty bad things on the throne.

When I first wove Wormwood for myself, I really liked him and I was sure that this was my main character.

But thanks to updates with skill trees, I've already changed my mind several times and expanded the list of my favorite characters.
Literally with each such update, I go through the plot of the game for each character in order to have a 100% understanding of the situational leveling of skill trees. 

At the moment, I'm playing in a world where there are 660+ days just for Willow. My skill tree leveling has changed several times depending on the situation, but I will write more about this in the appropriate topic)

But it's probably easier to say about the characters that I don't really like (in that case, I like all the others)
- Wendy. I didn't play for her even when I was a beginner, because I don't like it when a ghost solves all my problems for me. Sorry wendy's main players)
- WX-78. In fact, he is a cool and strong character. I've tried to play for him before, but I'm getting tired of worrying about chips. Although they significantly enhance the character and increase the pleasure of the game. Maybe it's just not my style of play)
- Wickerbottom. This is a character with tremendous potential, but just give her a skill tree and I will definitely destroy the heavenly champion for her) I got interested in this character when she got her bookcase update. But my interest in burning instantly faded away
- Maxwell. I'm also waiting for this character's skill tree to trust him and try to get through the game's plot. At the moment, he is not interesting enough, despite his wonderful abilities and shadow fools)
- Winona and Walter. I love these characters and I like them from the point of view of their idea. But God, please add skill trees to them so that these characters make sense. All of the above characters make sense at the moment and without RPG leveling. But these two guys definitely need an update to breathe life into them.

I didn't want to talk only about skill trees, but it turned out that way)

Personality-wise, nothing and nobody can even come close to Wigfrid, she is ridiculously entertaining... WX-78 gets the second place, but no matter how omnicidal you are, it's hard to beat an insane method actress.

Gameplay-wise, as of right now, Willow is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:54 PM, Hi. said:

Please don't be rude if someone has a different opinion than you.

Don't worry. These aren't the Steam forums ... *nervous laugh*

Anyways Wormwood is my favorite cause he's a cute planty boy and i also love farming and spreading my seeds everywhere.

I wish I could play with Walter but he is extremely frustrating. And unplayable as solo for me.

I then play with Maxwell /Wilson: Maxwell because I hate doing chores like chopping wood. Wilson because he gives me the most standard experience.

Archived