Favorite DST boss?

Favorite DST boss? (yes I know, I did not add FrostJaw)  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite DST boss?

• Deerclops
    • Antlion
    • Bearger
    • Moose/Goose
    • Eye of Terror
    • Dragonfly
    • Nightmare Werepig
    • Ancient Fule Weaver
    • Armored Bearger
    • Crystal Deerclops
    • Possessed Varg
    • Shadow Pieces
    • Klaus
    • Toadstool
    • Ancient Guardian
    • Celestial Campion
    • Malbatross
    • Crab King
    • Twins Of Terror
    • Bee Queen

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

as long as your world has gone through WintersFeast at least once, you should always have access to GiftWrap (1 Papyrus & 1 flower petals)

do you only create new worlds during december and january?

14 hours ago, Evelo said:

What QoL is considered mandatory?

Popular ones:

1. deerclops is one. People who don't want it are those who never heard of it or have had too much of it.

2. dfly => furnance. Firepit is so easy, but furnance is such a great QoL. Between a base with furnance and one without furnance (given everything else is the same), I'll always go for the one with furnance.

3. klaus, as an easier alternative to get blueprints dropped by harder bosses

4. bq => jelly beans. I never find jelly beans necessary. But it's such a convenient QoL because it doesn't spoil, it gives you enough HP, it reduce human brain multitask overhead, and it can be spiced.

5. antlion => teleport. It's such a great in pub server. But also the biggest side effect is attracting griefers. But it is a great QoL.

6. antlion => turf hat, obviously for mega builders. It saves so much time and clicks.

Before continuing, I want to clarify the concept of "QoL mandatory". It's different from necessary. It's the feeling of "That's great to have" or "That's so convenient/neat" or "I can't imagine living without it" that certain items brings you or me. Like i totally can't live without furnance, but I actually totally can.

With that in mind,

less known ones:

7. I totally can't live without driftwood oar. But once I tried Malba Bill, I totally can't live without Malba Bill. I believe it's not popular because sailing is not popular enough.

8. ancient guardian for those who do ruins. It drops tons of thulecites. And potentially a walking cane before first winter.

9. fruitfly butler for farmers, obviously.

10. shadow pieces because of the mass kill exploit to farm tons of dark armor and swords as well as nfuel. Great QoL for long term bases.

11. bearger => fridge backpack. Absolutely great for long time forager. Most people are base potatoes. But for those who's always on feet, it saves lots of hassle.

12. cc because I consider permanent light as QoL.

50 minutes ago, grm9 said:

I haven't tried b/c I never mess with events, but can't you turn Winter's Feast on at any time to prototype the crafts then turn it back to auto?  Or does it lock the world if you create it with an event on?

3 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

I haven't tried b/c I never mess with events, but can't you turn Winter's Feast on at any time to prototype the crafts then turn it back to auto?  Or does it lock the world if you create it with an event on?

you can, but saying that bundling wrap is useless because you can turn on winter's feast through world settings anytime is the same thing as saying that bone helm is useless because you can turn off nightmares in world settings anytime    

4 hours ago, Evelo said:

Meh, to each their own. I can go an entire playthrough without bundle or gift wrap. We have enough anti-spoilage from Fridges, Salt Boxes, Salt, the Bearger Backpack, and the new Polar Bearger Box. As for seeds the Seed Pack-It is great.

Plus for healing we have Healing Salve, Honey Poultice, Batbat. Sanity food can be made pretty easily via farming regardless of season with Potato + Garlic or Toma Root + Ice.

Just a playstyle difference really, no biggie.

Ye, isnt like the game is unplayable but im getting used to have it in spring and reduce the ammount of inventory/farming food management by a lot. For me is the best item in the game, the rest of bosses loot goes way behind it

1 hour ago, grm9 said:

The Xbox version of DST (and I assume PlayStation and Nintendo as Well) only allow for a Maximum of 5 Saved World Slots, and more importantly than that, you can now toggle events on/off at anytime of the year you desire.

I actually keep ALL of the previous Year of Events Active because I Enjoy the fun little Mini-Games YoT events generally bring.

Plus- My characters outfits looks like THIS..

that is a Mix of Christmas themed skins, Halloween, and Pirates!

Christmas- Winona, Wes, Wanda, Wurt, WX78, Wonkey (snow skin) 

Halloween- Warly, Wolfgang, Wormwood, Wickerbottom, Wigfrid, Webber, Wortox, Wendy.

Pirates: Willow, Walter, Wilson.

Survivor/Other- Woodie, Maxwell.

IMG_5932.thumb.jpeg.c58feed4dfa88b4f7856d358e6d437bc.jpeg

so of course my worlds are gonna look like some Tim Burtons Nightmare before Christmas rejects.

(Aka I keep both events active simultaneously at once)

Its only Klei’s public/dedicated servers that are ever going to truly need bee queens bundling wraps- Everyone on Xbox can just turn on WF and prototype gift wrap.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Everyone on Xbox can just turn on WF and prototype gift wrap

they can also turn off nightmares, hunger, temperature and reduce hp damage to make anything that affects sanity, hunger or temperature useless ig 

38 minutes ago, grm9 said:

you can, but saying that bundling wrap is useless because you can turn on winter's feast through world settings anytime is the same thing as saying that bone helm is useless because you can turn off nightmares in world settings anytime    

I don't think that really applies here.  Someone said they like BQ for its loot, Mike says he doesn't like BQ and works around the loot by using WF event.

Sure you can turn a lot of things off and on, but like - none of that is part of this conversation.  If you get the gift wraps then of course bundle wrap can drop a tier, and Mike gets the gift wraps.

8 minutes ago, grm9 said:

they can also turn off nightmares, hunger, temperature and reduce hp damage to make anything that affects sanity, hunger or temperature useless ig 

Ow_the_edge.jpg

12 minutes ago, grm9 said:

Consider the following: All these Twitch/YouTube Streamers who have these massive megabase game saves they’ve lived within for 50,000 + days have most DEFIANTLY gone through Winters Feast and Hallowed Nights Events- and as Such those Mega Base worlds I Guarantee you: Have already prototyped Gift Wrap & likely have a MadScience Potion Lab for the Halloween Potion mutations (Dragonfruit to Saladmanders etc..)

Most Megabasers fight the BQ not for her Bundles, but instead for the Crown and Jelly Beans.

I guess if you wanna cut to the TL:DR- if bundling wraps were meant to be a super important boss drop, then Gift Wraps shouldn’t be available all year round, and much like the limited time skins we can use during the event, the Gift Wrap would become unavailable when those go as well. But as it stands right now: Bundling Wraps could probably be removed from Bee Queens loot pool & reverted back to the way it was in single player Dont Starve (obtained randomly from destroyed Bee Hive)

But speaking of Holiday events and bosses, I really enjoy the FeastClops, I like her Art, the Lazer attack is unique (in that it instantly cooks meat if it kills a mob lol ) it’s just overall a slightly Upgraded version of Deerclops, and of course killing it gets you the lightbulb you need for your pretty WF trees! <3

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Most Megabasers fight the BQ not for her Bundles, but instead for the Crown and Jelly Beans.

Repeat fights are worth it for more crowns and jelly beans, but the first time is definitely for bundle wrap too.  Just b/c a world is 2000+ days long and has been live through WF doesn't mean it started with it.  I don't think many megabase players are juggling events as they start their world, rather they are rushing all of the bosses including bqueen to get a start on things.  I think most mega basing looks the same as a survival world until day 200ish when most of the essential stuff is done and there is time for more optional stuff.

1 hour ago, Yuuko said:

If you get the gift wraps then of course bundle wrap can drop a tier, and Mike gets the gift wraps

the discussion was about which boss drops are good so it doesn't make sense to talk about how good they are in worlds with changed world settings

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

if bundling wraps were meant to be a super important boss drop, then Gift Wraps shouldn’t be available all year round, and much like the limited time skins we can use during the event, the Gift Wrap would become unavailable when those go as well

skins are disabled because klei are encouraging people to play because of skins being available only for a specific amount of time and you're supposed to pay for those skins normally, you can't pay for gift wraps or bundling wraps so there's no reason to prevent people from making them available or unavailable   

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Consider the following: All these Twitch/YouTube Streamers who have these massive megabase game saves they’ve lived within for 50,000 + days have most DEFIANTLY gone through Winters Feast and Hallowed Nights Events- and as Such those Mega Base worlds I Guarantee you: Have already prototyped Gift Wrap & likely have a MadScience Potion Lab for the Halloween Potion mutations (Dragonfruit to Saladmanders etc..)

I guess if you wanna cut to the TL:DR- if bundling wraps were meant to be a super important boss drop, then Gift Wraps shouldn’t be available all year round, and much like the limited time skins we can use during the event, the Gift Wrap would become unavailable when those go as well. But as it stands right now: Bundling Wraps could probably be removed from Bee Queens loot pool & reverted back to the way it was in single player Dont Starve (obtained randomly from destroyed Bee Hive)

But speaking of Holiday events and bosses, I really enjoy the FeastClops, I like her Art, the Lazer attack is unique (in that it instantly cooks meat if it kills a mob lol ) it’s just overall a slightly Upgraded version of Deerclops, and of course killing it gets you the lightbulb you need for your pretty WF trees! <3

Man, bundle wrap is a recipe so you only need to fight BQ once to get it...

Gift wrap is more expensive than reusing the same wraps

Megabasers use both because sometimes we want to store things that we know wont be used after many hours so is better to wast one gift wrap than keep away 1 bundle for so long

Megabasers fight BQ to have more wax for giant veggies and maybe, if they use them often (some players, me included dont relly much on jelly) to get jelly beans

BQ last super long so a good player only need few,  after that the crowns are deconstructed to get combs to craft the wax mentioned above

Removing such strong item from a boss loot is the opposite of making the game hard as you cry in every topic. Gift wrap isnt a strong enough excuse, winter feast has op mechanics anyway like getting pan flutes, green gems and canes by just sleeping

Pd. Stop making statements of stuff you dont know or understand once again

17 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Man, bundle wrap is a recipe so you only need to fight BQ once to get it...

Gift wrap is more expensive than reusing the same wraps

Megabasers use both because sometimes we want to store things that we know wont be used after many hours so is better to wast one gift wrap than keep away 1 bundle for so long

Megabasers fight BQ to have more wax for giant veggies and maybe, if they use them often (some players, me included dont relly much on jelly) to get jelly beans

BQ last super long so a good player only need few,  after that the crowns are deconstructed to get combs to craft the wax mentioned above

Removing such strong item from a boss loot is the opposite of making the game hard as you cry in every topic. Gift wrap isnt a strong enough excuse, winter feast has op mechanics anyway like getting pan flutes, green gems and canes by just sleeping

Pd. Stop making statements of stuff you dont know or understand once again

You can get green gems from random tumbleweeds too, canes from sunken treasure chests- & no you can’t get these things just by “sleeping” you can only get them by Sleeping next to a Fully Grown & Decorated Christmas Tree without a Light Source near you unless it’s a WF Lightbulb, and you can only do that once every so often- Unless you want to be seen as “Greedy” by Charlie, the person delivering the WF gifts to You.

The most common way of Obtaining said “Lightbulb” is from killing the Mutated WintersFeast Variant of Deerclops- 
Which when Klei Updated Deerclops so you can Run between her legs and attack from Behind, They Forgot to update the FeastClops Variant & so players can still get stuck on her legs attempting to fight her this way,and thus Blasted by her WF Exclusive Eye Lazer beam attack.

You act as if I haven’t ever fought any bosses at all in DST- and that can’t be any further from the Truth..

Now as far as how the hell OTHER PLAYERS Most Commonly Interact With, Fight, Or USE those Bosses Loot Drops- I haven’t got any clue, and Honestly: Neither do I Care either..

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You can get green gems from random tumbleweeds too, canes from sunken treasure chests- & no you can’t get these things just by “sleeping” you can only get them by Sleeping next to a Fully Grown & Decorated Christmas Tree without a Light Source near you unless it’s a WF Lightbulb, and you can only do that once every so often- Unless you want to be seen as “Greedy” by Charlie, the person delivering the WF gifts to You.

The most common way of Obtaining said “Lightbulb” is from killing the Mutated WintersFeast Variant of Deerclops- 
Which when Klei Updated Deerclops so you can Run between her legs and attack from Behind, They Forgot to update the FeastClops Variant & so players can still get stuck on her legs attempting to fight her this way,and thus Blasted by her WF Exclusive Eye Lazer beam attack.

You act as if I haven’t ever fought any bosses at all in DST- and that can’t be any further from the Truth..

Now as far as how the hell OTHER PLAYERS Most Commonly Interact With, Fight, Or USE those Bosses Loot Drops- I haven’t got any clue, and Honestly: Neither do I Care either..

Green gems from tumbleweed are anecdotic, the chances of getting a whatever coloured gem are ridiculous, green ones are the best gems and you get them easily with the tree present

Getting a cane from a sunken chest takes way more time and resources than sleeping under the tree

You dont need boss adorments to fully decor a tree, simply kill minor stuff

You talk like decoring and sleeping under a tree was difficult and balance getting canes, pan flutes, tams, moggles or green gems. I though megabasers wanted easy times at the game...

I dont mind events having unbalanced stuff but then they shouldn't be considered for general game balance like removing bundle wrap recipe from BQ so noobs can get it from killing bees like the awful idea added in RoG and SW

19 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You can get green gems from random tumbleweeds too,

... really? This is an example you brought up? You play wendy, so just commit spider massacre until you get enough stuffs to hang on the tree.

It's not that hard.

1 minute ago, Spino43 said:

... really? This is an example you brought up? You play wendy, so just commit spider massacre until you get enough stuffs to hang on the tree.

It's not that hard.

Don’t you still need at least one functioning light to go on to tree to initiate the sleeping near a fully decorated tree but without any light sources phase?

And the only sources I know to do that from are boss fights, or Oasis fishing during Sumner.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Don’t you still need at least one functioning light to go on to tree to initiate the sleeping near a fully decorated tree but without any light sources phase?

And the only sources I know to do that from are boss fights, or Oasis fishing during Sumner.

No, you don't need a festive light.

Even 8 fruitcakes will do.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You need light to interact with the tent.  You need no light to get a present.  The blinking WF lights do help with this but if you use a torch or Willow's lighter the character will also put that out once they are inside the tent so you get darkness.

I'm not sure all of the light sources that do this, but lantern, mining hat, and moggles do not.

You can also use the transition from light to dark to access the tent.  If you're at the edge of a light you'll notice that you can be attacked by charlie even in an area where you can interact with things.  If you place the light the right distance away from the tent you can do this.

If you're cave basing you can often place the tent in a spot that is considered "dark" but you can see all the time and you can sleep whenever for it lol

42 minutes ago, AveHortor said:

Antlion, she paints the perfect picture of how not everything needs to be solved with violence

it is also a good example of forcing others to give you their stuff by threatening them by making their life worse if they don't which isn't much better than violence

2 minutes ago, grm9 said:

it is also a good example of forcing others to give you their stuff by threatening them by making their life worse if they don't which isn't much better than violence

Given how abundant most resources are in the game, I don't really see an issue with that. 

On 1/6/2024 at 8:48 PM, Zima Blue said:

But in terms of design, Klaus looks better than anyone else imo.

Maybe. I'd have to say I like CC better.

I voted Eye of Terror, then realized "Oh, hey. I prefer CC much more. Oops."

7 hours ago, Hi. said:

0 people voted for possessed varg and twins of terror. I expected at least 1 vote for the twins but I guess not.

I like the shield of terror very much, but the boss is just like the regular Eye of Terror, but tedius. They don't interact with each other, they can be separated easily, they have 10k hp each which is annoying considering you can only fight them at night, one of them summons little eyes all the time... I don't see why it would be anyone's favorite other than the art.

Archived