COMMANDER HELM BUFFS BASED ON SCIENCE AND DATA

The sample size was modest, but at this point in time, 10 out of 11 Wigfrid's surveyed as of the time of this post agree that the Commander Helmet should raise the attack of the Elding Spear when equipped. 

10 out of 11 Wigfrid mains is an astounding majority.

To sum up on how the Commander Helm interacts with the world around it, the thing is simply bad. 

There's no way to sugarcoat this. I have been trying, with everything I can to make the Commander Helm work, and simply put, it's outclassed by the head rock in every single way it matters, and even outclassed by the standard battle helm.The attitude a Wigfrid main must have to repair it is paradoxical in millions of ways (Hyperbole)

Hitless spider den helmet repair.

Doing something like this is exceptionally difficult. Killing an entire spider den isn't a feasible option to repair the helmet because one misstep and you've broken your helm. One hitless spider den only repairs a paultry 15% of total durability at the risk of damaging for 20% or more.

How the repair attempt usually goes

I showed the nitty gritty as examples of the extremes, because the alternative methods of repair using spiders specifically are even slower than this and take around half the day. 

If your helmet is at 50% as shown, you have to put yourself in so much danger just to repair it. It gets a lot more dangerous the more spiders you add to the mix.

I showed the interaction with the non charged Elding Spear because by the time you get the true spear, the game starts to become different.

Sufficing to say, babying a helmet that only protects for 80% just isn't worth the trouble and in spite of saying this, I may be a sucker and still continue to use the helmet just because it looks nice. Perhaps I'll abandon it altogether in due time, but in the early to mid game, there is no reason to use the helmet over dreadstone and standard battle helmets.

Late game, you're either using a brightshade helm that's repairable or celestial crown for combat. 

The Commander Helm is the middle child that came last. There isn't a feasible place for it.

image.png.c0b67be82b8231035aa45088162e1350.png

On the survey, of the 17 people that voted for the Elding Spear to receive a damage boost while the helm is equipped, 10 of them are full time Wigfrid mains. It's actually quite telling that the rest of them don't even main Wigfrid and agree that the interaction is justified. 

2nd most voted was the repair on strike increase. That would certainly help the longevity and perhaps wouldn't be as overtuned as one may think. When struck by an enemy, your subsequent strikes will not repair the helmet as you aren't at 200 HP. 

3rd most voted was the insulation bonus. That would be a good little feature as Wigfrid spends so much of winter roaming away from a single place. It's the nature of the game and supplementing that would be a nice little feature. 

I added the option to have it be "Charged" just so there's at least a barrier of entry to improvement, but it would need to be evaluated to ensure that it doesn't just make a mediocre item inferior to the alternatives. 

image.png.0aa63732eddd31da959b8009b5669cb2.png <- so the post gets more traction this time. 

1 hour ago, Gashzer said:

Does it repair faster using heartrending ballad?

If so using treeguards to repair it would probably be better.

Edit: or slurtles...

Wig can at most restore 2 hp each strike. So when hitting mobs like spiders, which with ballad she should have restored 2.625 hp, she'll lose the part that maxes out the limit.

The ballad does work for boss fights, providing an extra 1.25 duration restoration per strike.

This means that 5 duration per strike is the highest possible repair speed.

2 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Does it repair faster using heartrending ballad?

If so using treeguards to repair it would probably be better.

Edit: or slurtles...

It's unreasonable to have to summon a treeguard for the sake of repairing a helmet when you can craft a new one with 2 rock and 2 gold.

5 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Maybe the helmet restores durability for any kind of excess healing, from food, jelly beans, anything.

that'd just make it a worse eye mask aside from 25% less damage taken, just buff the amount of durability that gets restored per hp that should've been gained from attacking    

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

i prefer having choices than items being the best with 4837262 perks like BS helmet...

even with insulation and a damage bonus with elding spear, brightshade helmet would still be able to traverse through sandstorms, miasma and would be immune to charlie.,,,

I don't think we're ever getting a buff to commander helm. 

I think we can link Wigfrid's encouragement value with the durability of the helmet. For example, when the encouragement value exceeds 50, Wigfrid's attacks will help restore the helmet's durability, or when the encouragement value overflows, it will be converted into the helmet's durability at a certain ratio. Additionally, we can provide Wigfrid with some small rewards when using the lightning spear while wearing a helmet, so that players will be willing to use the commander helmet.

19 minutes ago, black hole said:

I think we can link Wigfrid's encouragement value with the durability of the helmet. For example, when the encouragement value exceeds 50, Wigfrid's attacks will help restore the helmet's durability, or when the encouragement value overflows, it will be converted into the helmet's durability at a certain ratio. Additionally, we can provide Wigfrid with some small rewards when using the lightning spear while wearing a helmet, so that players will be willing to use the commander helmet.

I've always said that Wigfrid's combat should be tied with encouragement value in some degree outside of songs.

This is where we do kind of have to take a deep dive of how much the player wants to maximize things.
Sadly the heart rending ballad doesn't provide restoration alone. since you can heal off of creatures and objects your normally wouldn't with the ballad enabled.(Things like walls and lureplants.)
however it doesn't work  for the helmet.

if the player really wants to maximize durability gain  you kind of have to  play around with different weapons.  and understand damage thresholds.
cause like for instance a spider wigfrid can one shot with her dash but she would only gain 2 hp making it be 5 for durability repair. with everything between her battel spear and a dark sword she will kill in 2 hits meaning she gains 4hp or 10 durability 
maximum wigfrid can get about 5.1 hp using a normal spear since the spear does 3 shots to kill a spider even with wigfrids damage buff.  leaving her 12.75 durability restored.

Blowdarts are theortically the best weapon because she gets her application twice. potentially giving 4 hp per dart or 10 durability per dart.  It does work with the howletzer but not as effective because the howletzer has a weaker base damage.

you can repair the helm while on beefalo but it defaults to wigfrids minimum healing 1.32 every 4 hits  3.3 durability on the helm.

So optimally a whole tier three spidernest should give 20 percent if you use a spear.  vs using other weapons.

Honestly just let the helmet be repaired by azure feathers. Think of it as her stuffing more cusioning into her helmet or an attempt to make the wings look more glorious. So you just mass farm azure feather during winter once then use it for the rest of the year. What good are the feathers for anyway? 

12 minutes ago, DVGMedia said:

So optimally a whole tier three spidernest should give 20 percent if you use a spear.  vs using other weapons.

That method is slow. You generally want to do things fast. 

If you're lucky, you'll have killer bees in the world and that repair the helm quickly. But even then, it's too much of a hassle to justify over standard battle helm

22 minutes ago, chirsg said:

That method is slow. You generally want to do things fast. 

If you're lucky, you'll have killer bees in the world and that repair the helm quickly. But even then, it's too much of a hassle to justify over standard battle helm

the main thing is though you are not supposed to force repair.  its supposed to come out casually while you are playing.  Spiders just happen to be the best source if you use a spear.
And bees are equal to spiders if you use a dark sword.  in fact even bunnymen are equal to spiders too. No one is forcing players to repair But the repair is an incentive to play well. and not just tank.

1 minute ago, DVGMedia said:

the main thing is though you are not supposed to force repair.  its supposed to come out casually while you are playing.  Spiders just happen to be the best source if you use a spear.
And bees are equal to spiders if you use a dark sword.  in fact even bunnymen are equal to spiders too. No one is forcing players to repair But the repair is an incentive to play well. and not just tank.

I've been familiar with the theory since the dawn of the helmet, but armor is armor for the most part. It will generally break sooner or later. 

In practice, no matter how well you play, it's something that is bound to get damaged a lot and there's the matter of Dreadstone helm superiority to consider too.

Playing casually is hit and miss. Also, Wigfrid as a character doesn't care about not being at full HP. She can be at 50% hp and effectively, that's about 130hp on any other character if i'm not mistaken. Gaining full HP at all times is often more trouble than it's actually worth and it's more of a luxury than anything else. 

Wigfrid is a funny character in that she has privilege to ignore a lot of dangers in the game because she's got better things to do than freezing to death.

In conjunction with these interactions, you have to switch up too much of your playstyle for the sake of 80% damage reduction. 

20 minutes ago, chirsg said:

I've been familiar with the theory since the dawn of the helmet, but armor is armor for the most part. It will generally break sooner or later. 

In practice, no matter how well you play, it's something that is bound to get damaged a lot and there's the matter of Dreadstone helm superiority to consider too.

Playing casually is hit and miss. Also, Wigfrid as a character doesn't care about not being at full HP. She can be at 50% hp and effectively, that's about 130hp on any other character if i'm not mistaken. Gaining full HP at all times is often more trouble than it's actually worth and it's more of a luxury than anything else. 

Wigfrid is a funny character in that she has privilege to ignore a lot of dangers in the game because she's got better things to do than freezing to death.

In conjunction with these interactions, you have to switch up too much of your playstyle for the sake of 80% damage reduction. 

People like the eye and sheild and they are basically the same.
Also found out probably best to keep an uncharged spear with you just so you can maximize bees for repair for free.  Honey is good for wigfrid and her meat dishes so its a benefit.
IM actually working on a video about this and I got something there wigfrid mains may want for their bases :D

Just now, DVGMedia said:

People like the eye and sheild and they are basically the same.

Eye shield is a lot more easier to maintain. I'm not sure what the figure is, but you can restore more than 80% with a meaty stew and 60% with a piece of raw monster meat. 

Commander helm doesn't have a way to repair even 20 percent in a single go.

The attached spoiler of me clearing a t3 spider den only repaired 15% durability and that was a Cinderella performance. Flawless and done before midnight, whereas if you did the same with the eye helmet, you'd repair it twice over with the monster meat yield.

I've tried hard to make it work and still am currently trying to make it work. It's a very pretty helmet, but someone who wouldn't be concerned with the looks would have moved on from it. 

Another consideration of commander helm vs eye mask and dreadstone helm is that you don't need to invest 4-5 insight into crafting the commander helm. 

9 minutes ago, DVGMedia said:

the main thing is though you are not supposed to force repair.  its supposed to come out casually while you are playing. 

What comes out of doing what you are suggesting is a broken Commander's Helmet. The item is really bad, please try it out more and you'll understand.

Why would I craft Commander's Helmet if Battle Helmet is cheaper and offers almost the same stat in durability and the same protection? Eye mask has half of Commander's Helmet durability and I find it better because it offers the same protection and you can actually repair it really easily using the same spiders that would take centuries to fix Commander's Helmet with and even Eye mask I don't use in most of my worlds because I'd rather kill Nightmare werepig first autumn and craft Dreadstone Helmet if I'm looking for a day to day combat armor. I'm not saying Commander's Helmet should be better than those items in their niche, I'm saying there is no point to crafting Commander helmet besides it looking nice because it has no real usefull niche of its own: it is season locked during early game, it is worse in day to day combat and worse during bosses when compared to a simple Battle Helmet that shines over it in all of those situation for how cheap and durable they are.

I simply don't see a point to the item.

Ngl, I'm not really a big fan of making the the commander's helm a damage bonus with the elding spear. Much less that it won't be useful and more that it seems a bit generic. Like it's not giving an incentive to use because you want to but more you use it because your favorite weapon deals more damage. How I'd do it is that the commander's helm increases the effect of all songs wigfrid has on her. Like del banto of courage - 25% sanity drain auras, heart rend ballad - each ally gets like 0.25 hp when another ally with the effect on hits an enemy, the planar songs - gives +5 planar damage to the respective enemy, etc. This would make it more generally appealing and more inclusive to strategies instead of boosting one specific weapon. For the healing, my idea is to just give like a heal modifier when at max hp (which sounds crazy out of context) to wigfrid so it isn't pitiful. I really do like the concept, it's just needs to better numbers wise imo, which a modifier would help do without making wigfrid innately even more broken.

Archived