BEST BOSS EVER!!!

Frostjaw has a unique battle arena which contains a large amount of interactions between the battlefield and player. This is currently the most amazing as well as creative design in boss arena and fighting experience. 

Frostjaw has various attacks:

• His normal attacks can strike 3 times in a row, dealing 37.5 damage each with the tail attack being able to knockback the player.

• Torpedo, CD 20s. He will cast 2 lines of Ice Walls besides the player, and then rush through them, dealing 37.5 damage with knockback. Then he stuns for a short while.

• Standing Dive, CD 30s. He will dive into the island, then jump out at the player to land a strike, dealing 37.5 damage with knockback. When he's drilling into the icy ground, landing 3 attacks on him can stop this and he'll be stunned for a short while.

When his dorsal fin cleaves the ice ground, this island will gradually fall apart from the edge. Brocken ice grounds will form a iceberg, which will decay in 30 seconds.

In winter, his island will grow much bigger. So when fighting him, this island slowly collapses, making the battlefield smaller and smaller. Players must also notice the cracking ground and icebergs, because when standing on them you'll drown with them in no time. In the end of the battle, this island will eventually become very small, making the player harder to dodge Frostjaw's attacks.

I'll put a video here showing the full process the island gradually falling apart.

10 minutes ago, Fufuji said:

Frostjaw has a unique battle arena which contains a large amount of interactions between the battlefield and player. This is currently the most amazing as well as creative design in boss arena and fighting experience. 

• His normal attacks can strike 3 times in a row, dealing 37.5 damage each with the tail attack being able to knockback the player.

• Torpedo, CD 20s. He will cast 2 lines of Ice Walls besides the player, and then rush through them, dealing 37.5 damage with knockback. Then he stuns for a short while.

• Standing Dive, CD 30s. He will dive into the island, then jump out at the player to land a strike, dealing 37.5 damage with knockback. When he's drilling into the icy ground, landing 3 attacks on him can stop this and he'll be stunned for a short while.

When his dorsal fin cleaves the ice ground, this island will gradually fall apart from the edge. Brocken ice grounds will form a iceberg, which will decay in 30 seconds.

In winter, his island will grow much bigger. So when fighting him, this island slowly collapses, making the battlefield smaller and smaller. Players must also notice the cracking ground and icebergs, because when standing on them you'll drown with them in no time. In the end of the battle, this island will eventually become very small, making the player harder to dodge Frostjaw's attacks.

I'll put a video here showing the full process the island gradually falling apart.

Klei did an amazing job in this fight for suuure.

1 hour ago, Fufuji said:

the videos on youtube make the boss look so crap and lackluster on a tiny island, but here it looks great with unseen attacks and mechanics.

1 hour ago, Fufuji said:

How come this video is 600mb?!

58 minutes ago, Fufuji said:

idk. I'm not expert in using computers and I just record my videos using OBS Studio with default settings.

Maybe you should use H.265/HEVC compressions. Over 600 MB of 5 minutes is excessive for these forum posts' videos (and I've seen many people doing the same thing, not properly compressing their video files for their intended fleeting purposes).

The only true complaint I have about this fight is the very bland visuals in places, the island looks super boring, and the uniform circular shape doesn't help it, and the Frostjaw's animations are super lackluster imo, it doesn't look like a DS or even a DST mob with how it's animated.

18 minutes ago, Antynomity said:

The only true complaint I have about this fight is the very bland visuals in places, the island looks super boring, and the uniform circular shape doesn't help it, and the Frostjaw's animations are super lackluster imo, it doesn't look like a DS or even a DST mob with how it's animated.

A little twist in texture or some added qol features would make this arena shine.

but,as we all know, the DST isn't an act game, but a sandbox.although the bosses are funny,too many bosses seems deviate form the core theme.

there are already about twenty-five bosses in the DST ,more than the DS three worlds put together , especially the HAM,only have four bosses.I don't think add too many bosses in the world is a good idea.

2 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Then i am the one who weird looked at when i say bosses having mechanics that demand specific items are bad

Every boss should be able to be killed with weapon, armor, healing and maybe speedboost, no weather pain, lazy explorer, ice staff, etc

you dont need a pickaxe to evade his ice trap

edit: evading interesting mechanics for optional bosses just limits creativity on bosses. You are going to fight a boss in a crafting game with many mechanics, dont expect to kill everything holding F...

if klei listen to yoj we wont have fun mechanics like FW sanity management or toad spore caps

26 minutes ago, greenxworld said:

but,as we all know, the DST isn't an act game, but a sandbox.although the bosses are funny,too many bosses seems deviate form the core theme.

there are already about twenty-five bosses in the DST ,more than the DS three worlds put together , especially the HAM,only have four bosses.I don't think add too many bosses in the world is a good idea.

I think DST has a much longer game loop at this point than the single player games: survive, do something risky (in DST case its most likely raid bosses) which improves your survival odds with the loot, and keep repeating until you end in a very easy survival situation and all you do aims for megabase/decoration.

But I agree that It would be neat if we got other type of risk/perils to take to improve your survival other than raid bosses, like a new “ruins raid” perhaps at the ocean (a new volcano?) or an improved pirate monkeys civilization to interact with (like, seeing them carrying sunken chests they looted somewhere else and escape from you instead of attacking you, being you the pirate in that case, yknow, other types of interactions)

5 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Then i am the one who weird looked at when i say bosses having mechanics that demand specific items are bad

Every boss should be able to be killed with weapon, armor, healing and maybe speedboost, no weather pain, lazy explorer, ice staff, etc

every boss can already be killed that way that isn't mutated deerclops, including FW, CC and CK, you can look for some example fights on youtube

6 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Common L take.

Weapons and armor are also specific items, why don't you just punch the boss and avoid its attacks?

1 minute ago, Szczuku said:

Common L take.

Weapons and armor are also specific items, why don't you just punch the boss and avoid its attacks?

you can already do that with the new shark and daywalker if you're playing as walter to ignore sanity aura, effectively making the fight require having a light

24 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

You can avoid using a pickaxe or lazy explorer by walking around and behind him, then his Torpedo attack will trap nothing.

Or you can simply tank this attack since it's only 37.5 damage.

Damn controversial indeed

33 minutes ago, arubaro said:

you dont need a pickaxe to evade his ice trap

edit: evading interesting mechanics for optional bosses just limits creativity on bosses. You are going to fight a boss in a crafting game with many mechanics, dont expect to kill everything holding F...

if klei listen to yoj we wont have fun mechanics like FW sanity management or toad spore caps

Im talking about how bosses made in a new reign or ck pretty much had not a way of being defeated, beequeen not having a clear open window for her bees, toad sporetrees respawning when a solo player finishes chopping them with an axe, ck having claws with so much hp

Klei has added fun mechanics before but that doesnt mean all mechanics are fun

And dont imply every boss would be "holding f" because thats stupid, just look at this boss and see how cool in plays out without needing a niche item like idk a luxury fan

31 minutes ago, grm9 said:

every boss can already be killed that way that isn't mutated deerclops, including FW, CC and CK, you can look for some example fights on youtube

Problem is i dont want to spend 18 hours learning how to toadstool no weather pain or fw no amulet, at that point im just gonna go play dark souls or something

You cant expect every player to do that either, most streamers i see when they get to the bosses they just grind tons of armor and weapons in hopes holding f will kill the boss instead of wanting to interact with the bosses's mechanics

That is a result of poor boss design

29 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Common L take.

You were the one that used to say decoration getting destroyed is challenging and difficult, cant imagine how difficult must be for you defeating a boss normally

29 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

When new players come into this game they expect the bosses to be like terraria where you just need good gear and some skill and reflexes to defeat a boss, not that you need a niche item

"Oh but thats good because dst is different that the rest" no, new players dont have an idea of the niche items or strats that you need to use to defeat the boss and really they are not gonna care to find them

8 minutes ago, Fufuji said:

You can avoid using a pickaxe or lazy explorer by walking around and behind him, then his Torpedo attack will trap nothing.

Or you can simply tank this attack since it's only 37.5 damage.

Im not complaining about the use of pickaxe because it is not a niche item

8 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Problem is i dont want to spend 18 hours learning how to toadstool no weather pain or fw no amulet, at that point im just gonna go play dark souls or something

that's your choice, go get a lot of equipment or go learn to kill the boss without equipment, imo that's a good thing considering there's a ton of ways to deal with the special stuff of ANR bosses, very little prep but skill or very little skill but prep, different methods depending on character and in what order you kill bosses 

7 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

ck pretty much had not a way of being defeated,

he is overtune for solo, that is true

8 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

beequeen not having a clear open window for her bees

not the most intuitive thing but she is faster than her bees and later the bees can be lured far away so she has open windows. Bringing other items to the fight, and to any other fight, is to make it easier

9 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

toad sporetrees respawning when a solo player finishes chopping them with an axe

glass axes are very accessible. I only use WP few times in the last phase and i play with regular damage characters most of the time so is really doable

12 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

You cant expect every player to do that either, most streamers i see when they get to the bosses they just grind tons of armor and weapons in hopes holding f will kill the boss instead of wanting to interact with the bosses's mechanics

idk what most streamers do but is their choice. Maybe later they come to say the boss is grindy because they dont want to learn easier ways of fighting them using the boss mechanics...that is boring and they arent a good example considering that most mods in the workshop are aimed to casual, lazy, uneskilled players that, instead of playing a game designed for them, force to play a non cusual game cuz "graphics are cute"

15 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

That is a result of poor boss design

this is the result of lazy players

16 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

You were the one that used to say decoration getting destroyed is challenging and difficult, cant imagine how difficult must be for you defeating a boss normally

agree hahah, people claiming that must be horrible at the game

16 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

When new players come into this game they expect the bosses to be like terraria where you just need good gear and some skill and reflexes to defeat a boss, not that you need a niche item

then is their problem for expecting different games to be played equally despite they being really different

im glad bosses in dst and combat in general isnt like terraria's

18 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Oh but thats good because dst is different that the rest" no, new players dont have an idea of the niche items or strats that you need to use to defeat the boss and really they are not gonna care to find them

that has been a problem with the game, not gonna lie

is the reason why they are adding the scrapbook even if some people that abused the wiki to survive now is against it

Archived