Bernie getting his health lowered is questionable

In the current Beta, big Bernies health has been lowered to 1000 baseline. There are two skills to increase his health to 1150 and 1300 respectively. 

However, before the update, his health was simply at 2000 already. The issue with Bernie included that he was very quick to die when fighting shadows, especially Terrorbeaks, and since he activated at low sanity, he would get devoured quickly.

Willow does have two skills that lower the threshold of activating Bernie now, which does help this issue since less shadows will spawn to attack him, but in multiplayer with more shadows around other players, he will die even quicker now. Planar defense doesn't really help him in that regard either.

I like the idea of rather going the route of Bernie regenerating health over time, which is another skill added with the new Bernie skill tree, rather than giving him armor like the Uncompromising Mode mod does. However, lowering his health to at most 1300 will just put him in the same territory of dying too quickly. Higher damage is great but he was mostly used to distract enemies, to tank, not to kill them - like Abigail in comparison being way less tanky but more damage focused.

I overall like and enjoy the Bernie skill tree, only his health should be set back to his original 2000 and the skills improving health should build off of the 2000 health. Perhaps 2300 and 2600 to go with the same strength as they currently are.

Yeah this wasnt a good decision from klei at all.

I wondered why bernie got wiped out quickly when i was testing him.

Pre skilltree bernie is better at the role he was designed for which was distracting and tanking. Half of the bernie skilltree is to reduce the impact of this nerf.... so dumb

I have a feeling this might not be intentional, and they could have accidentally overwritten it’s health when making the new perks by accident. Since small Bernie has 1K health and BERNIE has twice that, they could have applied the HP to BERNIE without realizing it is supposed to be doubled. I could be wrong, though.

21 minutes ago, Sunshine. said:

However, before the update, his health was simply at 2000 already. The issue with Bernie included that he was very quick to die when fighting shadows, especially Terrorbeaks, and since he activated at low sanity, he would get devoured quickly.

No? It takes ages for Bernie to die to shadow creatures even at zero sanity.

The tooltips of both Bernie related affinity skills say they raise both planar damage and defense, especially against the opposite side. Haven't seen it in action yet though. In the stable branch Bernie is sturdy and takes well over a minute to wear down. Even with 1000 HP he should be able to hold off 3-4 shadow creatures for quite a while.

21 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

The tooltips of both Bernie related affinity skills say they raise both planar damage and defense, especially against the opposite side. Haven't seen it in action yet though. In the stable branch Bernie is sturdy and takes well over a minute to wear down. Even with 1000 HP he should be able to hold off 3-4 shadow creatures for quite a while.

Does he have a skill to raise survivability?  Because in a group your facing more than 3 or 4 shadows which is the main concern.

He already gets kinda shredded in those scenarios

53 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

31 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Does he have a skill to raise survivability?  Because in a group your facing more than 3 or 4 shadows which is the main concern.

He already gets kinda shredded in those scenarios

Both the "Lunar Bernie" and "Shadow Bernie" skills do 2 things for survivability: they give BERNIE! 15 planar defense, and they make him a planar entity.

This means all planar damage dealt is reduced by 15, and all physical damage dealt is reduced by the same exponentially scaling formula that happens when you attack a planar enemy like a brightshade:
damage = (sqrt(damage * 4 + 64) - 8) * 4

In theory it should also be giving BERNIE! a 10% alignment resist/damage bonus but that doesn't seem to be the case currently.

The Bernie affinity skills give defense, there two skills that give him regeneration and two that increase his hit points. Two skills make him faster as well which should also help him survive. Why is he supposed to survive an overwhelming onslaught of shadow creatures? I mean, he already does, but he used to be a panic backup when things got really dicey to help you run away or potentially get the situation under control. If you wanted to play it safe having two Bernies and a sewing kit was already more than enough when sanity plummeted. The game does not need to get dumbed down even more. There is no need to make Bernie tank 10 shadow creatures or the Bee Queen with her minions for an indefinite amount of time. Skills were apparently supposed to provide minor tweaks but currently it already turns everything upside down (the lighter skills are making combat feel lolworthy right now - if there won't be additional substantial threats in a near future that require some thinking when fighting this really took the combat down the drain).

10 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

The Bernie affinity skills give defense, there two skills that give him regeneration and two that increase his hit points. Two skills make him faster as well which should also help him survive. Why is he supposed to survive an overwhelming onslaught of shadow creatures? I mean, he already does, but he used to be a panic backup when things got really dicey to help you run away or potentially get the situation under control. If you wanted to play it safe having two Bernies and a sewing kit was already more than enough when sanity plummeted. The game does not need to get dumbed down even more. There is no need to make Bernie tank 10 shadow creatures or the Bee Queen with her minions for an indefinite amount of time. Skills were apparently supposed to provide minor tweaks but currently it already turns everything upside down (the lighter skills are making combat feel lolworthy right now - if there won't be additional substantial threats in a near future that require some thinking when fighting this really took the combat down the drain).

That's not what I'm asking for I haven't gotten a chance to try him but the implication I got was that he'd wilt near immediately if you played on a team which I don't want and would rather him just not have hp regen if that's the case.

Here's the thing - IF you take either elemental Bernie skill then your Bernie will tank just fine, probably better than before.  This isn't too hard to do b/c 6 Bernie skills is imo a natural selection.  2 health regen, 2 max health, 1 speed and 1 sanity (the 2nd speed and sanity perks are trash imo)

I just did some testing and it worked out pretty well tanking compared to before.

There are some issues with the kit - and really this is just another reason I hate HATE planar.  Its so obfuscated.  The description for "strengthening Bernie's planar attack and defense" does not make me think "Bernie is a planar being now and takes some arbitrary amount of reduced damage depending on the strength of the damage dealt, don't forget to carry the one."

But it is what it is - IF you read the wikis rather than the in game description Bernie is okay I guess.

EDIT - well if Bernie is given back 2k base health AND we get planar he's gonna be a pretty good tank if you load all that up.

Archived