Skill Spotlight: Wigfrid & Willow in beta.

19 minutes ago, Soul7k said:

if they lasted forever you would have heat and light on tap forever because of fireball

how? if they dont provide anything as you said

i just think embers look cool on the floor, sad that they disappear 

亲爱的科雷您好,我看到了你们即将更新的计划,关于薇格弗德的技能树在中国玩家里面反响很大,我本人也是薇格弗洛的忠实玩家,从第一次玩饥荒开始我就爱上了这个角色,我的游戏生涯绝大部分都是她。微格弗洛在中国区被玩家们叫做女武神,我们其实更多希望可以看到女武神战斗方面的加强,而不是辅助功能,在我们眼中她是一个争强好胜的女汉子,而不是一个趋向于辅助类型的角色。所以我们称她为女武神,于我本人而言我也更希望看到她能有在作战方面的技能树分支而不是完全侧重于物品方面的加强。希望我的建议能对您们有所帮助。

I’m glad that the devs coincidentally came up with embers similar to what I described here:

Pre-beta Willow had the big problem that fires are so destructive and situational in use. I think it makes sense to have a sort of charge item for spellcasting. On the other hand though I would have liked if there were some risk and downside to the embers like risking overheating (especially in summer). So you have to be careful if you want to use her ember abilities offensively.

Of course if it was up to me I would have just ditched Bernie(!) and dedicated her fully to fire skills instead of her having a random minion (what’s the synergy?).

And again we keep coming back to the predictable fallout of planar damage/defense: it just eats up skill points.

I would have also liked my idea of an “ultimate” ability which costs a lot of embers where she turns into a fierce fire creature. With the added risk that she can die easily (burn out or maybe explode).

But again (like I wrote in that post) I have hardly ever played Willow in DST. So I’m coming from a place of partial ignorance to the Meta.

Edited by abrocator
  • Like 1

In my opinion, Willow's loot burning and nullified fire spreading should be separate skills. Especially so if Willow gets the ability to extinguish burning fires. Also her fire extinguishing ability should be larger to deal with having fire spreading enabled.

Below are reasons why:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2856623528

They should add skills to make fireboxing like this where you fight monsters in your box of fire.

Edited by Pastah
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2023 at 1:40 AM, Hypsellis said:

I think the icy island should be part of the lunar archipelgo, instead to generate lonely in the middle of ocean. Also some glaciers, moon glasses, and celestial fissures could also generate on the island. It would make more sense and look better. Because currently it looks empty and ugly.

there isnt anything suggesting that the island or the boss is relate to anything about the moon

i think adding some glaciers would make it less flat 

• Like 1

Gotta admit, now that I finally had like 10 minutes to sit down and mess with the beta, I'm loving how integrated fire feels with Willow's playstyle now. Instead of being something I rarely interact with and avoid it's a fundamental part of her fighting style. Open by setting everything on fire, activate the fire boost damage, chase mobs amidst the chaos. Really the mass panic feels like the essence of Willow's character. Really neat that she gets her own dwarf star ability though I have no idea how long it lasts. Wish I could try combustion but it crashes my game. Bernie still feels like a novelty even with the sanity perks, like even if I'm not fighting something he's killing shadows and getting hit, I just don't like the lack of control of my tank.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh so exciting!

Willow and Wigfrid are by far my two most played characters and Willow/Wigfrid is my husband and my's go to co-op pairing! It'll probably be a hot minute before I get to try any of this out, but reading about it is so cool! I'm also deeply, deeply invested in any animated short that accompanies this. 

I've been curious about how they'd handle Wigfrid's skill tree. Her current niche is her adaptability; she can't hit as hard as Wolfgang or kite as well as Wanda, but she can jump into a fight at a moment's notice with little to no preparation. Her meat-only diet is a pretty easy weakness to circumvent, but that's broadly been offset by the fact that her fighting ability is limited compared to the other heavy hitters (not to mention mob users like Wurt or Maxwell). I'll be interested to see how her skill tree interacts with that.

It seems like the tree gives Wigfrid functionally infinite weapon/armor durability? Commander's Helm self-repairs while Wigfrid is in combat (the same thing she's already constantly doing to restore sanity and collect meat) and the spear seems like it can be repaired with minimal planning or departure from existing playstyle. As a Wigfrid player, I love the opportunity to convert time spent mining into more time spent fighting so I'm all for it. It seems like the kind of thing that would affect late game balance though. I imagine that's the kind of thing that'll work itself out with testing and patches though. 

I do think it's interesting that we're getting more and more ways of attacking. Wigfrid and Woodie now both seem to have attacks that have to be timed very differently that standard attack patterns, which I imagine would vary up the way players approach certain fights. It's pretty visually unspectacular to just see four models swarm an enemy at once all doing the same animation as Bam Bam from the Flinstones, even when it's fun. Seeing the characters all putting different distances between themselves and the enemy as well as doing unique animations in combat will make the whole thing feel more alive imo.

Willow's skill tree is... interesting. I do like it, Willow is sorely in need of a wider variety of ways to contribute and this definitely checks that box. The Bernie perks all make a lot of sense to me. The fire ones are mostly just difficult for me to conceptualize. Even as a Willow main I've always avoided using fire in combat. It's hard to imagine combat strategies more specifically geared to setting fires. I'm very excited to see how it'll affect her general gameplay!

Also not to pile on, but I also think the perk that reduces structure burning times is misguided. In theory it makes sense to want to burn down structures faster and therefore finish the job and collect the resources sooner, but just about any Willow main could tell you just how often she uses burning trees to make it through the night. The perk is a strong concept, but I feel like it'd be stronger if there were still opportunities and incentives for players to light long lasting structure fires.

It occurs to me that one of Willow's new abilities can serve the same purpose as the tree fire and be done more efficiently, which was probably the logic behind the decision. But lighting a whole tree on fire just to stay warm for the night is iconic Willow behavior. The fact that so many players logically arrive at this strategy while playing is very fitting. It's the perfect example of how a character's personality can come through in how their game mechanics shape player behavior; Willow's perks and limitations encourages players to behave like Willow. Replacing that with fire spell (even one that does the job better) wouldn't feel the same to me. This is really a nitpick of mine, so I won't be too unhappy if it goes unchanged. It's just something I thought was worth saying.

Edited by D_Good_Fellow
  • Health 1

Am I the only one that expected Willows Hot-Headed Skill to Change Bernie into BERNIE! Regardless of sanity as long as Lunar or Shadow aligned Mobs are nearby? I thought that made sense, since that would enable Bernie usage even at places with lunacy or in fights where going insane would be a liability. I don’t think he needs to turn into BERNIE! for every aligned mob but maybe just bosses. Kind of sad that this skill basically does nothing otherwise :[ 

love the rest of the Skilltree tough, nice job.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, NeckbeardMan said:

Am I the only one that expected Willows Hot-Headed Skill to Change Bernie into BERNIE! Regardless of sanity as long as Lunar or Shadow aligned Mobs are nearby? I thought that made sense, since that would enable Bernie usage even at places with lunacy or in fights where going insane would be a liability. I don’t think he needs to turn into BERNIE! for every aligned mob but maybe just bosses. Kind of sad that this skill basically does nothing otherwise :[ 

love the rest of the Skilltree tough, nice job.

Yeah - that is one of my biggest wants.  I mean, if I'm going to invest so many skills into Bernie I'd really expect it to smooth over the big sanity restriction so I can use him in lunacy and consistently during times where I need to augment sanity like AFW fight.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 1:21 PM, Jason said:

We have a couple more skill trees (Willow and Wigfrid) and a new ocean encounter up for testing in the beta branch. There are still some things being worked on here before its final release, but because the winter holidays are coming up we wanted to get feedback on what we have sooner rather than later. So there may be some behavior changes besides those we make from feedback. 

The new ocean character can be found at any time, and is not an end game rift encounter, so please frame feedback with that in mind.

Thanks for taking a look and start some fires out there in the constant.

Notes for Modders

• This update’s mod release ID is R32_ST_WATHGRITHRWILLOW.
  • The tag oceachfishing_catchable has been changed to oceanfishing_catchable.

View full update

Riding tab needs a fix

Maybe make taimness/obideance go down slower

Allow hunts on beefalo 

Beefalo in heat won't attack or buck you off quickly 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 5:03 PM, abrocator said:

I’m glad that the devs coincidentally came up with embers similar to what I described here:

Pre-beta Willow had the big problem that fires are so destructive and situational in use. I think it makes sense to have a sort of charge item for spellcasting. On the other hand though I would have liked if there were some risk and downside to the embers like risking overheating (especially in summer). So you have to be careful if you want to use her ember abilities offensively.

Of course if it was up to me I would have just ditched Bernie(!) and dedicated her fully to fire skills instead of her having a random minion (what’s the synergy?).

And again we keep coming back to the predictable fallout of planar damage/defense: it just eats up skill points.

I would have also liked my idea of an “ultimate” ability which costs a lot of embers where she turns into a fierce fire creature. With the added risk that she can die easily (burn out or maybe explode).

But again (like I wrote in that post) I have hardly ever played Willow in DST. So I’m coming from a place of partial ignorance to the Meta.

Yeah, everyone cant say "Oh! It is a commonly thought idea, you smell!" On that one. I doubt doubt doubt there was no parcial inspiration from this specifically.

On 12/1/2023 at 5:14 AM, Theukon-dos said:

Willow's skill tree is perfectly balanced and absolutely not power crept in the slightest. Why would you ever think that?

On 12/2/2023 at 7:30 AM, b l a n k said:

That does not look remotely as strong as you think it does... :X

i know right. u can just burn it and hit with hambat/darksword to get more dps that that lol. it just a more fun way to blast them. the effect is great, when it actually doesnt have that much damage to begin with.

• Like 1

The Wigfrid rider tree is bland, boring and doesn't make much sense. one potential route could be the Wigfrid Spiral spear route, gaining not only the leap attack from the forge, but potentially also the chance on hit to hit multiple times.(please make the animation not as painful so you don't get beat down for it)

Personally, and i'm sure most Wigfrid players think this way, the rider tree is just another tree to Avoid to make the most out of your inspire points, it's much more fun to dash with the spear or block with the shield than it is doing beefalo gameplay.

If not that then maybe more of a battle song tree making the less desired songs even more bountiful, half of the battle songs are pretty bad if not unused, being Weaponized Warble, Fireproof Falsetto, Rude Interlude and Startling Soliloquy, granted that some of them have been changed for the better, not costing song meter, the first two have poor ratios, the main problem with the second two is the cast duration, you run away to cast them, get stuck in a 2 second animation then likely get hit because of it, then on top of that only have a few niche uses. I understand power creep is a problem here, but just gate these upgrades behind mid to late game materials. some upgrades could even be as minor as making Warble from 25% to 40%, or a way to make the cast animation faster. I would like to see additional songs aswell, they don't have to be as extreme as the reviving one, but some more fun ones would be nice, minor movement speed, hunger drain rate, or even sailing speed.

Beyond that i'm extremely happy with the approach you all have taken with the past few character updates and this upcoming one, the Enter the Forge gameplay approach and the inspire skill trees really have evolved the experience of the game making it a lot more entertaining.

Spiral_Spear.webp

1 hour ago, Leathel_fluid said:

When will this new update be added to console versions of don’t starve together?

Eventually it will, updates take a longer time for consoles (at least Nintendo specifically) because of some weird approval rules that steam doesn’t have. As a former console player I understand your pain, but fear not! The updates will come soon