Let players choose how they want to learn the game

BezKa

Skipping all the usual whining I provide in my stupid threads:

The handholding might not be what all new players are looking for. Pop a window when a player turns the game on for the first time, asking if they want some guidance or if they prefer to go completely blind.

I find it quite silly the game didn't have any kind of instructions before and most of your progress would be done entirely by reading the wiki since there are things ingame that are quite ridiculous to figure out without help, though I do not understand the desire to not be told how things can work and be given hints, I will say people can simply not use the scrapbook and disable it popping up in settings, however it will most likely result in going to the wiki or the scrapbook sooner or later anyway.

11 hours ago, CuteC said:

Snip

Yes, you can turn off the scrapbook notifications. But you have to do this on your own, and it's somewhere in settings, and I assume most players don't really change the settings of the game they JUST started playing.

All I'm asking for is that the game asks you first. There are people who want the experience of not knowing anything, and finding things out by trial and error, the way it works in DS. They might not realize the scrapbook can be turned off, and assume the game cannot provide the gameplay they wanted because of it.

The game starts. Main menu music plays. A pop up screen appears, asking you how you'd prefer to play- guided or not guided. If you need help, good, here's the scrapbook. If you want to discover everything yourself, good, the scrapbook is disabled. You can change these settings at any time here and here.

Please stay on topic. The topic being, new players should get to have a choice for their start of the game, not whether scrapbook itself is good or not.

2 hours ago, BezKa said:

All I'm asking for is that the game asks you first.

Like how the game ask you to first try it on your own when clicking browse games? (idk if that was even a thing or still is) and you click on host game and a pop up comes up and asks if you want to be guided

16 hours ago, CuteC said:

I find it quite silly the game didn't have any kind of instructions before and most of your progress would be done entirely by reading the wiki since there are things ingame that are quite ridiculous to figure out without help, though I do not understand the desire to not be told how things can work and be given hints, I will say people can simply not use the scrapbook and disable it popping up in settings, however it will most likely result in going to the wiki or the scrapbook sooner or later anyway.

Honestly I also find it quite crazy how strong the pushback often is on adding more features that help new players like these in other threads in the past.

Imma be honest, I don't understand how the scrapbook is changing how players learn the game. Unless you use scrap book pages, which also don't give you much to go off of imo, you only really get the logs of things you can already see and experience, and half the time they don't even tell you anything interesting. While I haven't played the beta to have the points of interests tab things which may or may not have some damning information, the current scrapbook barely tells you anything. It'll tell you the weapon's damage output and uses it has, but that doesn't solve the problem of taking too much damage from being swarmed from bees and spiders. It may tell you how hunger a food item gives, but that hardly matters if they can barely keep them selves fed to worry about point differences. You can see the enemy's hp and damage, but that means jack when you aren't skilled enough to dodge their attacks. Besides keeping all the knowledge in game, I don't really see a purpose to why you'd want or need to restrict it's access since it's not leading the player or telling them anything. The only thing it does is telling them the numbers, but that doesn't do anything to actually help them do anything unless they were calculating the specific intervals to optimize the hell out of the game, at which point the scrapbook wouldn't be the thing they're look at for that info. So I guess the option could be made available but I really don't see how it's changing how the players interact and grow in the game besides being slightly faster.

On 10/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, Frashaw27 said:

Imma be honest, I don't understand how the scrapbook is changing how players learn the game. Unless you use scrap book pages, which also don't give you much to go off of imo, you only really get the logs of things you can already see and experience, and half the time they don't even tell you anything interesting.

Yeah, it's more of a reminder of things that you've already seen than a tutorial for things you're experiencing for the first time. Which I'm in favour of.

Having joined these forums and reading threads and stories about the game that was when I discovered that despite having owned the game since like 2013.. I had been BARELY scratching the surface of what all you could actually DO In the game.

And to be completely honest I don’t think this forum of obscurity is healthy for the game, a few in game puzzles… sure, but things as important as using a Straw Hat + Parasol & Standing under a Tree = complete rain protection is something you really probably should know.

In addition to that: When Obscurity was THE ENTIRE GAME, it was good to have the players experience & discover that on their own.

But as time went by and new updates continue to get added, the previous content needs to be easier to interact with and experience.

the new From Beyond arch requires the player to have discovered a crap ton of deeply hidden content, such as as just one tiny example: Needing to reach maximum friendship with Pearl, obtaining her pearls Pearl, finding and killing crab king, taking a pinch winch and pulling up the celestial tribute part crab king was sitting on top of, taking it back to lunar island and putting three parts together to summon Moon Boss.

You have to do all this before you can open lunar rifts. (Or turn them on in settings) 

The more content Klei adds to the game, the less obscure previous content needs to be.

Archived