Thermal stone

8 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Juggling 4 stones around each time is alot more tedious. Lets say your inventory is jam packed from a trip to the ruins. You have to drop 4 items to pick up the 3 stones and rope from your bundling wrap. 

Changing your stone once a day is tedious? You've just suggested holding a fish for nearly a minute, in the aforementioned scenario, that *would* actually be tedious.

I dont want to burn 2-3 trees and wait around for the 90C you need to be competitive with a beefalo hat, that is also tedious.

For a single thermal stone, agreed, how a lot of people do it is indeed a noob trap. Charging 3-4 stones at the same time? Not so much, especially if you've planted a few trees around your base and are doing stuff there anyway.

Lightbugs are by far the best general use light source

Hard disagree here, at least if you have any kind of major speed boost. Walking cane is alright, but throw in a magi or a road, or god forbid, blooming Wormwood or WX-78 with some speed circuits... the lightbugs won't even have a chance to catch up. Beefalo? They're left in the dust. Abigail and Maxwell's duelists tend to murder them, Wurt and Webber have hordes that swallow them so they can't follow, they don't teleport with Wortox, and I'm pretty sure this has excluded about half of the roster. They have their uses, and they are ridiculously good with Wanda, throwing around a few in areas you teleport to often, but I've given up for them even for base lightning - one dwarf/polar star to light your base costs a lot less sanity then having to mess around with lightbugs.

If you are quite good at inventory management. You can also just stack two tier-3 insulation clothing together, characters like Walter/maxwell can easily do this without feeling like you are losing inventory space.

But then a magi for the chest slot is a much better choice, especially since speed boosts in DST are multiplicative.

19 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

So they do come with the innate 30 insulation! My sources were wrong then.

The tidbit about it still emitting heat even when it's temperature is below 0* is interesting to note. I had assumed they worked like players did.

check out this guide by Friendly Grass, it's an excellent writeup on all winter warmth strategies. 

Four Furnaces placed as close together as possible with thermal stones in front of each in your base is my go to for Winter. Considering how much rot and other cheap and abundant fuel sources pile up over time you can just grab them as you travel and heat up your thermal at any fire pit across your world when far from base. Or light a tree up or whatever. Or better yet just place furnaces at all your outposts/bases/most common winter spots.

Ice Chester during Summer with one thermal stored and one in inventory completely and utterly negates heat with an ease that is ridiculously good. Simply swap them before they go grey and they never lose durability either. He's also an amazing portable fridge to keep your non bundled food in so you don't have to unbundle food every single time you need to eat. You can also build fridges at every outpost instead and keep a thermal stone in each to swap in and out with your held one. 

Using thermal stones efficiently and correctly is always easier and more rewarding than insulation clothing. No loss of head or body slot, can always use enlightened crown or miner hat or armor etc and can always use a krampus sack,body armor, mag, belt of hunger whatever you want. 

They are for noobs when used poorly, when used efficiently nothing beats them. The special fish are good too but clothing is honestly a joke and I personally do not understand how anyone could genuinely think that they are better. 

On 8/11/2023 at 12:51 PM, gamehun20 said:

So you don't have an infinite dumbell?

The thermbell is absolutely terrible as a dumbbell. Even ignoring how agonizingly slow the thermbell grants mightiness, a thermbell + sewing kit (assuming sewing kit repairs 82.5% like a thermal stone) will only have 768 uses, restoring 1,152-2,304 mightiness. A pair of gembells (since that's the same amount of inventory slots) have 1,000 uses, restoring 5,000 mightiness regardless of form. Even if the sewing kit restored 100% durability and you micromanaged it perfectly 895 uses is only 1,342-2,685 mightiness. At best, if you only want to be normal and never mighty, it restores half as much mightiness as the gembells (and much slower).

Archived