How do you play Wormwood well in pubs that go to max 45 days?

When I’ve been playing Wormwood (in this Beta) I mostly go for crop farming. I see a lot of others do the same. But it doesn’t feel like I contribute much. You just get a smorgasbord of crops that you might not be able to fit in the fridge (because of the variety), and despite that the hunger yield isn’t even that great.

And most people do fine with their Koalaphant/monster meat yields, anyway. It’s not like any Wurts are playing. (But if they are: someone rush Lunar!) What’s the point?

I don’t quite see how I can best support the team of perhaps five other players as an inexperienced Wormwood.

When you are by yourself, you don't need to care about what you eat, as both sanity and health from food are not an issue for Wormwood.

But when you need to feed other players, if you go the farming route, aim for quality.

Potato and tomato both are great for health, pair with garlic and onion and you can make good sanity dishes. I don't really bother with nutrient balance, but if you do, 1 potato/eggplant for each veggie balances out.

for hunger, go for meat dishes.

I usually go with some variation of pumpkins, potatoes, and garlic to fill whatever needs the server might have.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.26f207ae0a7ccc593db4ef1027aaed47.jpeg

Combine with a single compost bin, which you fill with any excess seeds for compost, and you have food for any scenario that functions all throughout Autumn and Winter.

Potatoes for health, pumpkin for hunger and potatoes/garlic for sanity dishes.

Players, especially newer ones, tend to stick around longer when they have ample access to food. It is immensely satisfying sustaining a full 12 person server population throughout Winter.

What I do is raid the ruins for star callers and keep the base with semi permanent warmth. As well as a spot for me near spider dens.

Then I tame a beefalo which already drops the amount of supplies I need down dramatically. Then I park myself near spider nests and farm ornery points. Wormwood doesn't need a crockpot so you can eat mm and use spider drops to supply living logs, go insane from mm and supply darksword, supply silk (tents for newer players).

If you want to provide more edible food don't farm. Instead collect carrots and turn them to seeds, use the silk to collect fish and let them rot for blooming fertilizer. Bloom over the carrots you planted hazardly to collect one seed back. Carrots will provide seeds during fall, winter and spring.

Bring back to base stacks of mm and carrots.

Vast majority of Wormwoods in pubs farm for communal base. As mentioned above, in combo with a Wortox's Souls healing or via a Walter's Tent (or regular tent in general), can mass-farm Living Logs for communal camp. Can make lots of Bramble Husks in said communal base, especially if that base is located in one of the deserts (easy picking Cacti). If the camp has plenty resources, you can make Compost Wraps for plot-farming (so people can also have after you leave). But really you can play Wormwood however you want. For example in pubs I rush and camp in Ruins, usually at small peninsula before Labyrinth's entrance or an enclosed space close to Monkey Pods to have easy access to Rot, Poop and Nitre (from earthquakes) = facile Compost Wraps for "free" healing and blooming, hence speed bon. Via Dwarf Star can farm there too. And through his con when cutting trees can "double dragon" farm NF (good synergy with Husk armor as well) = more wood & nf for communal base.

I focus on mush planters, my goal is to maximize mushrooms, I depend on someone else to build the base. 
They do prevent the variety and seed problems of vegetables

Initial rot and manure are from a backpack filled with bulbs, with ipecac I might change that a little, I’m not able to play beta at for the next few mays

If you want to feed or in general babysit a bunch of base sitting newbies in short lived pubs ur better off playing Wendy or Wickerbottom i think.

Spoiler

Wickerbottom can start growing crop combos and tending them with 1manband while wormwood is still waiting for random seeds to grow and fish to rot. 

And u can grow berry fillers for meatballs instead of watching noobs make meatballs with 3 tomatoes or pumpkins as Wormwood. Juicy berry worlds are the best for this. 

The catch is that u need a bookcase and some papyrus to get rolling. 

Abigail automatically mows down frogs and spiders for meat and butterflies for healing and filler. With multiple ppl on the screen flowers pump out butterflies like crazy. 

————

the only notable parts of WW’s farming perk soup is no hoeing and planting outside of farm plots. And now the new picking skill.

Howl’s wild carrot fields strat is the only way i can see Wormwood delivering crops in a way that Wickerbottom couldnt do in a better or faster way. 

Wormwood’s multiplayer value lies in dispensing living logs and the crafts u can make with them in my opinion. 

A contribution that is now completely overshadowed by a Woodie with treeguard idols lmao. 

Unless u also have a Wortox. 

Honestly as wormwood i also go for mushrooms, blue for healing green for sanity, if mass produced (grab lightbulbs 1-2 stacks at a time and rot/feed to werepig) they can function well as filler. 

For food i’d just go on hunts and make sure to dig up berry bushes and replant in the base.

spam living logs

make one bramble husk per player, most noobs dont wear armor.

sleep to heal, you have 15 uses at a tent, if you havent broken it before spring you’re not trying hard enough.

Save your “good” fertilizer for any boss fights. 

but honestly with the new skilltree, honey is always a good go-to. If far enough offscreen it will produce 1 a day even in winter, just make sure no other players are visiting (they can go in the caves if you want)

But mostly, as the (possibly) most experienced player, you mostly want to be out and about gathering stuff and bringing it back. If you want to farm id just ask for any seeds everyone has, wild plant thrm, and let them harvest it if they feel like. It requires too much babysitting to be the most reasonable option to me at least.

try to rush for a salt biome and a bottle with a grass boat.

farm crops or mushrooms, crops are cheaper if people give you seed. try to aim for green and blue mushrooms or potatoes/tomatoes and garlic.

make lots of armors bramble husks and darkswords. A quick way to be constantly insane is to chop for wood.

Once you have enough give other players armor weapons sanity food and healing, taught them and tell them to help you fight raid bosses.

make friends

Archived