Things you have learnt through hours after hours of gameplay

I can start: I learnt that the manual generator can get you a long way if you plan and connect things smartly. I am around cycle 70 and saving coal while using the manual generator hooked to 1 jumbo battery for 8 deodorizers, 2 oxygen diffusers and 1 light in the lab. I have also built 3 Hatch/Hatchling stables which are starting to generate a decent amount of coal. 

But the biggest lesson: dont rush things but build, expand and explore slowly. And have loads and tons of fan. This game is brilliant because I am challenged to learn and try new  things all the time. 

That the most important planning part for me is the ladders, fire poles, tubes etc. This automatically gives you space for your pipes, conveyors. Whenever I start building out I plan the passageways first.

Things I learned that were not obvious at first:

1. Electricity is weird here. Your Kirchhoff laws are useless.
  2. Heat is your enemy, avoid melting things you're not prepared for.
  3. Food plants seem easy but then they overheat.
  4. Heat is your friend when you get to know it properly. Just insulate hot and cold areas from each other.
  5. While nature abhors a vacuum, the ONI player must learn to embrace it.
  6. Don't use up all skill points. Specialize your dupes instead.
  7. Heat is your slave, harness it, master it.
  8. Don't overplan, keep things compact, embrace renovating and remodeling, just replace useless builds. Urban sprawl just makes for long commutes.

When I was much younger and totally unexperienced at ONI I used to overestimate danger of new biomes. "Slimelung! Dont dig it until you got suits!" "Oil is hot! Do not even think about it or everybody dies!!!" etc. Now I understand that high techs is not so necessary. Need oil? Throw some tons of water inside and forget about scorches... 

On 6/5/2023 at 8:04 AM, asurendra said:

Need oil? Throw some tons of water inside and forget about scorches... 

Just be wary about trying to do exactly that with the magma layer since the actual amount of water you'd need to fully "use" it up is a bit ungodly.

19 hours ago, Bluefoxfire said:

Just be wary about trying to do exactly that with the magma layer since the actual amount of water you'd need to fully "use" it up is a bit ungodly.

i wonder if you drill through to the magma chambeer in the ocean planetoid if it will have enough SHC to coll it all down

Archived