Has anyone ever made a REALLY cold industrial brick?

Once a cold brick gets below -50C, its good to go.  It's cold enough to freeze anything you'd want to freeze aside from rocket fuel.  This doesn't really change much until -185 when ethanol, oxygen and natural gas stop remaining gases but who's sending those gases to their cold brick for storage?

Going below -260C you start to run into a problem with aquatuners. Aquatuners can only cool their coolant by 14 degrees if they are above 14 degrees Kelvin.  Any cooling that would take the temperature below 0K is deleted.

This is why no one has bothered to do it or not bothered to brag about it if they have done it.  It's just not a significant improvement to function or aesthetics to put into practice.  Also the overall result is easily reproduced by having a -60C brick and using gas pumps to vacuum out the rest of the gases.

I made a 30kg/s ultra-cold (-200 C) petroleum power plant once. It was located in the oil biome and I needed a good way to dispose of the CO2, as a smokestack was impractical from that depth. The idea was that a cold brick would allow me to use dupes to carry the frozen CO2 to  the surface for disposal.

I built it, took hours and hours. Overall it worked, kinda. I had issues with frozen petroleum tiles forming on the generators every time I loaded the save. Not to mention my fps took a hit from the constant spawning of ice and CO2 from the generators.

I ended up abandoning the save. Nowadays I use a debug-enabled test world to try out builds before implementing in survival. 

I've wanted to try to make a cold industrial brick so that the CO2 would solidify so I could move it with conveyors.  I could have 1 conveyor rail rather than 20 gas pipes, but I usually end up just putting my industrial brick inside or adjacent to my CO2 solution.

On 5/20/2023 at 4:57 PM, Charletrom said:

I made a 30kg/s ultra-cold (-200 C) petroleum power plant once. It was located in the oil biome and I needed a good way to dispose of the CO2, as a smokestack was impractical from that depth. The idea was that a cold brick would allow me to use dupes to carry the frozen CO2 to  the surface for disposal

Sounds like not smart idea, because you may build 30kg/s petroleum power plant below 125C, and offgas CO2 to space and get a lot of polluted water as water. Or you may build > 125C petroleum power plant and make little bit more smart tube for CO2 (with same offgasing mechanism into space), and collect hot water from steam.

On 5/27/2023 at 1:11 AM, Zarquan said:

I've wanted to try to make a cold industrial brick so that the CO2 would solidify so I could move it with conveyors.

same as previous

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.008cac34e6b7cd896b8623fbb034f827.png

3 hours ago, degr said:

Sounds like not smart idea, because you may build 30kg/s petroleum power plant below 125C, and offgas CO2 to space and get a lot of polluted water as water. Or you may build > 125C petroleum power plant and make little bit more smart tube for CO2 (with same offgasing mechanism into space), and collect hot water from steam.

same as previous

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.008cac34e6b7cd896b8623fbb034f827.png

Won't anyone think of the starving slicksters?

On 5/29/2023 at 1:28 PM, Zarquan said:

Won't anyone think of the starving slicksters?

I do

On 5/29/2023 at 4:21 PM, Zarquan said:

What is this concept "enough of nice hot CO2"?

image.png

Why do you let normal slicksters live? There isn't any use for crude oil

2 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

Molten slicksters will still have a probability of laying eggs for the normal variety even if living conditions are at maximum temperature for them. I just keep the wild farm at around 150ºC and accept the fact that there will always be some crude around.

7 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

I always build pipeless counterflow heat exchangers in my bases.  I can just throw any crude oil I get from slicksters and get it back as petroleum basically for free, so I don't care what kind of slicktster I have.  The slickster ranch is set up to drop the crude oil directly in to the input to the exchanger, so I don't even need to pump it.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:17 PM, JRup said:

Molten slicksters will still have a probability of laying eggs for the normal variety even if living conditions are at maximum temperature for them. I just keep the wild farm at around 150ºC and accept the fact that there will always be some crude around.

you have >1100 wild slicksters? or do you mean tame without grooming?

On 6/12/2023 at 4:00 AM, Zarquan said:

I always build pipeless counterflow heat exchangers in my bases.  I can just throw any crude oil I get from slicksters and get it back as petroleum basically for free, so I don't care what kind of slicktster I have.  The slickster ranch is set up to drop the crude oil directly in to the input to the exchanger, so I don't even need to pump it.

seems like a lot of work for what could be easily resolved with a single downing chamber

2 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

Wild slickster farm. The hot CO2 vent I "tamed" is already overwhelmed by 22 of them.

For tame farms you could also automate the regular slickster egg removal and even have some omelettes. I just automate eggshells, meat and liquid "deposits".

9 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

Tame without grooming.  Fed tame glum critters will lay a single egg, replacing themselves, so their numbers can keep increasing as long as I keep adding eggs from groomed slickster ranches.  And 'had' now, I had to kill them because of the lag.  

9 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

seems like a lot of work for what could be easily resolved with a single downing chamber

But that wouldn't convert CO2 in to petroleum, or perpetually produce more meat over time.  1000 tame glum slicksters produce 3330 g/s of crude oil or petroleum and a lot of meat.

Every egg added in to a system like this will produce on average 47 kcal/cycle perpetually (ignoring longhair slickster eggs, which happen but are improbable).  A thousand eggs would produce 47000 kcal/cycle for as long as the system is maintained.  This is because after 85 cycles of the egg being added, a new egg will be produced.  That egg will turn in to 4000 kg barbecue eventually and will produce a new egg after 85 cycles again.

Their oil production can be considered a multiplier on effective production of crude oil/petroleum of 8/7 from oil wells if you use petroleum generators (derived from a geometric series where r = 1/8).  That means every oil well in use produces effectively 476.2 more crude oil, which is 178.6 g/s extra water, allowing me to support almost 2 more dupes per oil well.  They also can suck up crude oil from other sources like ethanol production.

Slicksters are completely overpowered, consuming waste and producing useful materials (egg shells, meat, water), and can scale infinitely in a finite space.  They are only "balanced" in the game because you need too many of them to produce significant resources so that it lags the game.

I also build the counterflow heat exchanger for oil wells and just slapped this above it so it could pour in.

Archived