Brainstorming: Ocean Ruins

On the topic of the ocean content, and more specifically, in the Celestial Champion quest line the equivalent of the ruins is missing and some players have suggested to add something similar to the ruins on the ocean, so lets help Klei find out what we want the ocean ruins to look like.

In my case I want a walled off area to contain whatever dangers are inside, the entrance should be warded by Crabking and to be able to enter for the first time the pearl should be required but fighting Crabking shouldn't. I imagine it as in after socketing every gem in their place Crabking will awaken and go somewhere inside the ruins where you can fight him, while  searching for him you can see his claws spread around the ruins and for every claw you kill his max health is reduced up to a maximum of 10k health, also it would be nice if the fight itself could be reworked too.

For things to find in this area it may be redundant but i would be fine with moon rocks and moon shards even if the CC fight gives a lot of these things they can still be a good reward depending on the craftables you can unlock in this area (if any), for a way to gather them the pinch and winch could be the main tool to obtain the new stuff, we could find sunken chest especial to this area and sunken glass "boulders"  this are something fitting in my mind because they will make use of boating mechanics instead of just being structures or reskinned sea stacks. The glass boulders could drop glass shards. anenemys, crystalized moon moths for non spoilable moon tree planters, something like a moon dragon fruit that can be used to spawn saladmanders and possible opals too, the sunken chest could drop moonrocks, perhaps some especial recipes, maybe add the sketches form all the Chinese new year events and some mob drops, like volt goat horns, steel wool, mandrakes and tall bird eggs (and remove those from Klaus loot table while we are at it) just to name a few things. Add two new fishes exclusive to this area that when killed they turn into moongleams and infused moonshards that way the tin fishin´ bin can be used as alternative storage to bundle wraps/gift wraps.

For mobs i am short on ideas but definitely hostile gnarwhales should be here, sharks and stranded powder monkeys crazed by the moon can be added, a variation of the giant trees make em spooky and add spiders to them.

What do you guys think? How does the ruins you imagine looks like? What can you fine in there, what can you fight and what can you learn?  Should this new biome be part of the CC quest line, should a new boss be added instead of Crabking, should the ocean ruins be part of the new end game. All of this is hypothetical after all join in the conversation and share your ideas even if this area never comes to exist something from here may end up in the game.

This is a neat idea actually, I'd love to see a version of this in the game. Where exactly it would fit on the current version of the ocean, I'm not really sure, but maybe this could be the basis for a bigger ocean rework, where the mainland spawns on one side of the map and the entire ocean spawns on the other side. I don't like it when the lunar island spawns on one side of the map and everything else interesting spawns on the other side, because sailing around the entire map is annoying to me, and I don't like building multiple boats if I can avoid it.

I like your idea of integrating the crab king in these new ruins, and how you can weaken him along the way, that would be a cool mechanic.

Your ideas for oceanic loot are a bit random, the Chinese New Year sketches you can already obtain just by activating the events in the main menu. I don't think event stuff should be mixed with the main gameplay anyway. Goat horns, steel wool and the rest are not really worth going to a dangerous ocean biome for, as useful as they can be, and mandrakes should definitely not be removed from Klaus's loot table, they are the only things making me want to fight Klaus after getting the Krampus sack (aside from the occasional Malbatross bill). Moonrocks and moonshards are fine, but again, not really worth going the extra mile for.

What I think SHOULD be in these ruins are things that make the ocean a better place in general. As of now the biggest problem is that while the ocean has a lot of nice content, they are tedious to find. So some of the things in these ruins could include:

• an item to summon Malbatross
  • more gnarwails (you mentioned this, too) to make crafting the trident easier
  • a place where you can upgrade the trident into different useful things
    • these could include a version that makes you summon sea stacks instead of removing them
    • a version that summons and stops rain, like that one Wickerbottom book
  • an upgraded version to the spyglass, a basic version of which they should REALLY add to the game already (PLEASE)
  • something that helps you find salt formations, maybe a divining rod of some sort that points you in the direction of the nearest one
  • some OP stuff that I can use on the mainland that makes it worth it to rush the ocean ruins

Something else I just thought of is how people sometimes complain that there's no reason to visit Pearl once you finish her quests. How about turning Pearl into the oceanic pseudoscience station? That would give her a pretty cool new role.

What this entire ruins biome would look like, I have no idea, but I think a sailable version would be too difficult to make. So maybe this whole thing should be an island, or a separate section of the caves that you can only access from that one sinkhole in the ocean, behind Crab King. And then, working with your idea, after getting passage, Crab King should move himself to a lake in the caves. But then how would we get the celestial tribute to the surface... okay maybe I didn't think this through, but I'd like the concept of it.

Anyway, those are my ideas. What do you think?

Ocean ruins could be a collection of sea stack-like walls but navigation between them would be rather flustrating. Maybe more like collection of micro isles. The biggest problem here are boats.

1 hour ago, Roodmas said:

more gnarwails (you mentioned this, too) to make crafting the trident easier

Trident deserves a buff. It could be more like shipwrecked version: dealing 102 damage on ocean. Amout of horns could be reduced to one.

You had me at "Ocean Ruins". <3

For things to find in this area it may be redundant but i would be fine with moon rocks and moon shards

Do you have your heart set on this Ocean Ruins being Lunar related instead of Nightmare related? I know the Ocean is on the Surface and Nightmare is Caves, but, it sure would be nice to see some Thulicite in the Ocean. The surface has a lot of Lunar materials available already and there's also Lunar material and content in the Caves. Can the Ocean Ruins be like what the Lunar Grotto is for Caves, but in the Ocean?

8 hours ago, Roodmas said:

I would say it has to be on the ocean if not, how would we deal with CK and the gnarwhales?

I know the drops are random but I was thinking it like the ocean is the world dumpster so of course you can find anything in there, but if that's a bad idea maybe the chest can drop empty staves and ambulates that you can socket with the basic gems for more beefed up versions of the normal magi amulets and staves.

I LOVE the concept. A walled of ocean area would make exploring the ocean feel more like, you know, actually exploring it. An ambient effect similar to that in the waterlogged biome, as in instead of vines something like upsidedown pillars, to give it an underwater cave feel would fit really well in my opinion.

Apart from basic resources, I wouldn't care too much for what's in there unless there are some strong alternatives to currently existing equipables. It is on the ocean in the end, so it is going to be harder to access early on. That said, lack of basic resources is one of my biggest problems regarding the ocean, so I want to suggest surrounding the entrance to this biome with lots of oceanic grass tufts or something like that. It could somewhat compensate for the time the player decides to waste on exploring the ocean.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:05 AM, Roodmas said:

an item to summon Malbatross

Why can't the Hostile Flare be used? It's supposed to attract attention from enemies, so why wouldn't a fat dumb ocean bird fall for it?

5 minutes ago, bloopah said:

Why can't the Hostile Flare be used? It's supposed to attract attention from enemies, so why wouldn't a fat dumb ocean bird fall for it?

Because you use the flare to summon monkey raids and the bird just wants fish

When you say sunken ruins, I'm imagining a set of ruins with sunken elements that maybe sink with the lunar cycle, with some parts surfacing on a new moon while sunk completely on a full moon; maybe some undersea creatures can stick onto the side of the paths and come up with them.

Archived