How do YOU kill Ancient Fuelweaver?

Admittedly in my worlds I just cheese him easy peasy because I can't be bothered to farm MooseGooses and voltgoats for two in-game years. I would really like to learn how to kill him weatherpain-less like in Guille's epic day 6 speedrun

(of course I would be wearing multiple sets of thul armor and glass cutters with stacks of pierogi and cactus) but as much as I try in a too-many-items practice world I cannot manage to make the fuelweaver miss a bone cage even once. So, what is your method? Do you succumb to the weatherpain grind, just character swap for the fight, or some other clever thing?

The reason I want to learn a "legit" method if because I want to be on the nightmare side of things when the divide happens but tbh the lunar path is just so much more accessible. If I could learn Fuelweaver without the multi-year grind then I think Id be more comfortable tacking the shadow route first.

I don't. The preparation leading up to his fight is way too tedious for me to bother at all, but I'd gladly fight him if the conditions wouldn't require me to take 10 days to carry heavy objects to the statues without Walter or Wolfgang, the former of whom I never play as.

5 minutes ago, bloopah said:

I don't. The preparation leading up to his fight is way too tedious for me to bother at all, but I'd gladly fight him if the conditions wouldn't require me to take 10 days to carry heavy objects to the statues without Walter or Wolfgang, the former of whom I never play as.

you can use a beefalo, no need to tame it just use it to move statues and kill it if you wish to do so

Just now, yourAnty said:

you can use a beefalo, no need to tame it just use it to move statues and kill it if you wish to do so

Oh right. Fair enough, but it would still take me time to prepare for the fight to not get killed in 20 seconds by the Shadow Pieces.

46 minutes ago, Skelewar said:

How do YOU kill Ancient Fuelweaver?

Spoiler

For a bit more of a “reasonable” answer for a first-time kill, I usually just use standard prep including Weather Pains and Lazy Explorers. While they can be pretty costly, you usually shouldn’t need more than 2 of each as a default damage character. Weapons are either dark swords/glass cutters/Thulecite clubs, and armor is just basically anything 90% or over.

I usually attempt to tank the second phase as much as possible. Doing so allows you to end the fight quicker, conserving the more critical items like the weather pains and explorers.

I normally don’t use a bee queen crown and bring a lot of sanity food (usual suspect is ~40 cactus flesh), but if you don’t mind using the crown it’s a great way to reduce the need of bringing a large amount of sanity food (you will still want some to mitigate the constant explorer telepoofing, though).

Otherwise, just be sure to manage the phases of the fight well. Minions are the #1 priority by a longshot, with taking out the unseen hands second. It’s ideal to try to kill the last unseen hand as the last minion dies, that way you can wail on it for ~20 seconds before it repeats the cycle again, allowing you to dish out some decent damage in the timeframe.

After the first kill, you get the shadow Thurible, which basically eliminates the need of constantly telepoofing to escape the cage as you can hold/keep the Thurible nearby on the ground to avoid it. I also usually opt for “easier” ways to kill the weaver after that point for repeated clears. Catapults are the easiest investment you can make, as they by themselves eliminate the need to worry about woven shadows while also contributing a decent amount of damage themselves.

Rock lobsters do a great job of replacing other players if doing the fight solo. They can hold his aggro and allow you not to take much damage or no damage at all during his first phase. 

Second phase you can focus on killing the woven shadows and hands then tank AF with your rock lobsters by your side.

Can be abit annoying to recruit rock lobsters if you arnt Walter tho but still worth it.

Since you've said that you never killed him, I would recomend learning the "legit" way before trying to kill it weatherpain-less.

What ruin most of my fight is letting him heal so dont try to save too much on weather pain. I can usualy do it with 1 WP (2 if i missplayed too much) so even if you go for 3 or 4, I dont see how Its a grind that would take 2 years. Use green amulett to craft them and that would be just 2 Moose goose fight.

The best way to escape the bone cage is using lazy explorer and with the aditionnal speed of a magiluminescence, it will be easier to dodge it like Guille does.

My best advice would be to practice the fight with damage buff characters + spiced voltgoat-chaud froid. The more you feel confortable during the fight, the more you can decrease the damage and tool you need until you can finnaly do it like you want, with a default damage character weatherpainless.

2 hours ago, Skelewar said:

Admittedly in my worlds I just cheese him easy peasy because I can't be bothered to farm MooseGooses and voltgoats for two in-game years. I would really like to learn how to kill him weatherpain-less like in Guille's epic day 6 speedrun

Speed-run videos are entertaining, but it is an inefficient way to learn how to fight. As a beginner, you need to develop the fundamental skills before attempting more advanced techniques as in the video. It would take you up to one hour to get a grip on how to beat AFW without weather pain. Prepare the time and resources. Maybe get Bernies to deal with the shadows during the fight.

Thats the neat part - I don't! The biggest obsticle in this fight are not shadow hands, healing vermin or Fuelweaver himself.

Rather, how nightmare creatures tend to keep aggro despite having 100% sanity and already biting me. It is annoying how they just won't despawn and force me to waste time. Bonus points when Brighshade Staff/Weather Pain hits one, now i have more of shadow creatures to care about cause these just went invisible insted of despawning.

I don't like using weather pains on the fight, mostly b/c I don't like the investment farming moose goose.  Its such a chore to juggle these in addition to the other gear, and its very do-able to just kit him around without worrying about it.  It is not necessary to dodge the bone cage the way its done in this video.  That is a more difficult feat, and nice if you can pull it off, but not needed.  All you really need to do is get him near a corner before he summons, and learn how long to keep him there and which shadows to clear so you can kite him around.  Once you get him down the side a bit away from them its pretty easy to keep him from eating any while you clear the hands.

Also its not terribly important to clear the hands perfectly, but you do want to try to clear the last unseen hand close to, but before the last woven shadow dies.  Just watch as they start popping, get the last unseen hand and get to fighting again.

I usually use a bee queen crown and night armors with some sanity and healing foods, a teleport staff for bone cages, and nm amulet for unseen hands.  I don't consider this really "cheese" compared to things like sticking him behind lureplants and having a houndius shoot him to death, pushing him into the door, or swapping in winona for catapults...  BUT I'd also say - don't worry about what is cheese or not.  Sometimes that cheese is the gateway that gets you through your first fights, laying the foundational mechanics you will build onto as you lessen the cheese to keep things interesting.  I enjoy doing fights both with and without cheese.

Yes to everyone, I know how the mechanics work lol though I appreciate the advice. As a small update, I caved and practiced with a couple pains and was able to kill him consistently, so I went to main world and did it for real. Used 2 1/2 pains on the real fight. Just wish I didn't have to.

10 hours ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

i mean if u seen guile's vids u see the spots he goes to for each phase. Just study his vids and see the spots where he's avoiding the bone cages, where he leads fuelweaver to summon his minions, etc.

Yes I did, I wasn't able to recreate the miss once. I even commented on the vid asking if it's just distance or if there is any other trick to it and he replied "yes"

10 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I don't like using weather pains on the fight, mostly b/c I don't like the investment farming moose goose.  Its such a chore to juggle these in addition to the other gear, and its very do-able to just kit him around without worrying about it.  It is not necessary to dodge the bone cage the way its done in this video.  That is a more difficult feat, and nice if you can pull it off, but not needed.  All you really need to do is get him near a corner before he summons, and learn how long to keep him there and which shadows to clear so you can kite him around.  Once you get him down the side a bit away from them its pretty easy to keep him from eating any while you clear the hands.

I will try practicing this ty 

22 minutes ago, Skelewar said:

Yes to everyone, I know how the mechanics work lol though I appreciate the advice. As a small update, I caved and practiced with a couple pains and was able to kill him consistently, so I went to main world and did it for real. Used 2 1/2 pains on the real fight. Just wish I didn't have to.

Yes I did, I wasn't able to recreate the miss once. I even commented on the vid asking if it's just distance or if there is any other trick to it and he replied "yes"

I will try practicing this ty 

Congrats on the win !  AFW is a nice step into some great end game tricks.  Bone helm for free insanity time (and lots of stress when 5 terror beaks decide to walk up and "say hi" lol,) bone armor for the quirky perfect block with cd, and being able to construct the animated skeleton to farm trees / stone / dupe moon stone / farm lightbulbs on surface.  Of course it also resets the ruins to get extra shootius, thulecite, gems etc and unlocks CC boss.

Definitely dodging bone cage is a tricky move.  Guille has done it for a long time to figure out exactly the timing, its quite precise especially without a lot of move speed boosts.  You can keep practicing on it, but its a bigger step then you might think just looking at it XD  They make it look so easy haha.

4 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Congrats on the win !  AFW is a nice step into some great end game tricks.  Bone helm for free insanity time (and lots of stress when 5 terror beaks decide to walk up and "say hi" lol,) bone armor for the quirky perfect block with cd, and being able to construct the animated skeleton to farm trees / stone / dupe moon stone / farm lightbulbs on surface.  Of course it also resets the ruins to get extra shootius, thulecite, gems etc and unlocks CC boss.

Definitely dodging bone cage is a tricky move.  Guille has done it for a long time to figure out exactly the timing, its quite precise especially without a lot of move speed boosts.  You can keep practicing on it, but its a bigger step then you might think just looking at it XD  They make it look so easy haha.

yeah idk I did my fights with magi and cane but still no luck with the cage...  idk :/

43 minutes ago, Skelewar said:

yeah idk I did my fights with magi and cane but still no luck with the cage...  idk :/

You need to be at a certain distance when you start running to dodge. If you look at guille's video, you can see he position himself at "max range" enough to bait the cage and then move during the animation to be out of range.

For the timing, its kinda like 3 attack then it will do a cage. If you didnt dodge the previous cage, its a bit easier to sense. When you see it disapearing, bait one attack and his next move should be an other cage.

Archived