Potential uses for Green, Red and Yellow Moonlenses

Since those three Moonlenses don't currently have any uses besides looking pretty on the map, they have a lot of potential. Not only that, but Green and Yellow Moonlenses are a huge waste since they're two of the three Ruins gems, with the Orange Moonlens having a good use (for Multiplayer, at least).

What are your possible suggestions for the three outliers? I can't think of any myself, besides the Red Moonlens maybe extending the burn timer of non-Campfire/Fire Pit fires.

I'd imagine the green one something to salvage most craftable, basically structure edition of the Deconstrucion Staff but worth using on stuff you may no longer have use for or find in Labyrinth chests etc… instead of relying on lureplants, to get recourse back, but only slightly reliable (like 50% at random and taking durability in account)

For a yellow, I would like some water structures someday, how about an advanced construction site with the moonlens being an ingredient for a chonky lighthouse behaving like Winona's light thingy ? 

24 minutes ago, ADM said:

I'd imagine the green one something to salvage most craftable, basically structure edition of the Deconstrucion Staff but worth using on stuff you may no longer have use for or find in Labyrinth chests etc… instead of relying on lureplants, to get recourse back, but only slightly reliable (like 50% at random and taking durability in account)

It would be so cool for panflutes! But also must be expensive structure 

Red gem = Warm up a big area around it but just enough to avoid freezing.
Blue gem = Cool up a big area around it but just enough to avoid overheating.
Orange gem = Allow The Lazy Deserter to be used by just one player.
Yellow gem = Speed up players around. 
Green gem = Make crafiting of structures cheaper around it. 
Iridescent Gem = Create a lunar area around it.

33 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

Blue gem = Cool up a big area around it but just enough to avoid overheating.
Orange gem = Allow The Lazy Deserter to be used by just one player.

We already have a use for both of the Moonlenses: Moon Dial and The Lazy Deserter, respectively. Although a singleplayer variant of The Lazy Deserter would be nice.

35 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

Iridescent Gem = Create a lunar area around it.

Iridescent Gems cannot be socketed.

Just now, Habakkuk said:

Green Gem = Remove Rain from a area around it. 

Green Gem has a theme of building/deconstructing. What sense does it make for it to have that effect when the Blue Gem serves as the theme of cold/water?

1 minute ago, bloopah said:

Green Gem has a theme of building/deconstructing. What sense does it make for it to have that effect when the Blue Gem serves as the theme of cold/water?

Sping is green, so I was thinking about that. 

I could totally see red moonlense being used for a new/upgraged firepit with greater light radius/fuel efficiency. It wouldn't have to burn hotter or anything because that's already covered by scaled furnace. Yellow I could imagine being used for an upgraded super efficient lantern-type item. Maybe it'd refuel with nightmare fuel and even give a small speedboost like a hand-held magiluminecense. Green... I have really no clue. Maybe an auto-crafter station so you could configure it to take 40 cut grass and after a bit it would spit out 13 rope + the 1 leftover... idk if that doesn't feel too "Dont starve".

If Iridescent could be socketed then Id really like a year-round way to get something like the "lunar experiment" from hallowed nights.

I would love if the green moonlens could be used as a refiner of sorts. It’s essentially a storage that allows you to put “raw” items (like logs or rocks) in, and eventually get refined goods (like boards or cut stone) from it. The downside being you could only refine items in the refine tab, but you would get a discount of needing 1 less item per “refine” process (like 4 logs to 3 to make a board, 3 rocks to 2 to make cut stone, etc.).

I mainly say this since endgame you have a lot of need for refining goods, but that doesn’t necessarily get cheaper/more efficient later on. The best improvement you can do is swap to Winona to craft the items at twice the speed.

the late game approach should be to farm resources in masses and we do have the means to do that.

take a forest stalker for a walk through the forest to get wood and rocks.

bearger makes it even better.

for grass you can gecko farm or swap to wickerbottom to lureplant farm grass and twigs.

mobs you can farm by just expanding the amount to farm.

so really the green moon lens should just increase the speed at which you can craft stuff. you usually do stuff like this in the base anyway so it makes sense.

this doesn't mean that i wouldn't like a station that does auto crafting tho. the thing with this is that they probably would work slower than the player or make it a lot more clicks spread over some time when i could just spend the night spam clicking in the crafting menu to get my stuff crafted as i want the rope now and not in 2 days.

and because of that having speed is superior to automatism.

also what if it's just a overall efficiency buff? making pick grass animation or healing faster, mining or chopping wood faster and maybe even rowing the boat faster.

for the chopping and mining i'm talking about making the animation play faster instead of applying warly's honey buff to the player. so it's still the 6 swings on boulders

or 15 chops at a large tree but you can get the hits in a lot faster. kinda like woodie can chop faster than everyone else.

44 minutes ago, Ginosaji said:

this doesn't mean that i wouldn't like a station that does auto crafting tho. the thing with this is that they probably would work slower than the player or make it a lot more clicks spread over some time when i could just spend the night spam clicking in the crafting menu to get my stuff crafted as i want the rope now and not in 2 days.

Then just… build multiple of them?

Even if they were slower I would still prefer to use that then craft the items myself. That way you can go do other projects while you are waiting for the materials to refine. It might be slower then crafting them yourself, but you can use the time you saved by not crafting them yourself elsewhere.

1 minute ago, bloopah said:

What the heck is a "forest stalker"?

The forest stalker is the reanimated skeleton (8 fossil fragments + aitrium) on the surface layer. Once you have the Thurible you can control it to follow you, breaking things in its path.

I use them in pairs to mark wormholes and giant tentacle pillars. Though you're right, green and yellow ones are a bit of a waste, but honestly by the point you're marking them, you can afford it.

I think they could have some perks in the chest/container where they are stored. most effect are triggered when you open the container :

- yellow gives a little light when you open the container

- blue adds 90% spoilage rate to the chest

- red  adds a 10% boost of a healing items (food excluded) in the same container. 

- green creates a new item of a random item in the container after 1 year. If the container is full, the item is dropped on the floor.

- purple gives minus 5 sanity aura

- orange does nothing 10% better because it is lazy

Archived