Wilderness mode needs a bit of improvement

Wilderness mode (random spawn and switch character on death) is quite unique in a sense that:

1. Random spawns, it makes it so you don't have a guaranteed rally point (near player portal) even if you are dead.

2. Death resets all your progress (except structures already put in the world), but it offers a quick character swap if you want.

However there are some problems:

1. The player portal does not exist on wilderness mode (even if you change game mode from others to wilderness mode, it will remove the portal). It can cause quite a few problems, like:

a. Not able to switch character without keeping the progress after you do the moon island thing.

b. Things that spawn near player portal is no where to be found. To me the most important thing is you cannot find the midsummer crow.

2. Death resets all your progress, but you do not get additional starting resource even if you configured that way (it's treating you as an old respawned player). This can cause a lot of death and unpleasant gaming experience, especially in winter.

3. Everything ghosty interactions are gone. I personally think it would be better if you still becomes ghost, but you are on a timer to revive yourself. And when times up you lose your progress and have to switch character.

4. Respawn points seem to be limited. After several deaths then you are bascially clear on the spawn points.

39 minutes ago, deemo_ said:

Are you really unable to participate in the Midsummer Cawnival in a wilderness world? 

The big crow spawns around the portal, and you need it to craft the initial sapling.

I tried to use command to teleport to the crow in two scenario

a. straight up in wilderness new world with midsummer enabled

b. Endless mode first (so I start at portal), then switch to wilderness mode and turn on midsummer. The portal is gone and crow is not there.

In both cases I tried the goto command and nothing happened. Maybe further testing is needed but this already shows how difficult it is to start midsummer

I'm still super bummed there's no waking up animation like in classic DS when you spawn in Wilderness. It's minor but cute!

Also I really, really want to be able to use Life Giving Amulets in Wilderness, the same way in DS! I'd use them all the time.

3 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I'm still super bummed there's no waking up animation like in classic DS when you spawn in Wilderness. It's minor but cute!

Also I really, really want to be able to use Life Giving Amulets in Wilderness, the same way in DS! I'd use them all the time.

Ikr

Would be lovely for something to come and taunt you everytime you die XD

Give us a respawn timer like I mentioned would give us back all those lovely resurrection mechanics

I’m actually Against the idea of adding a “Ghost Mode” to Wilderness. Why?? Because I have friends who die ALOT and find it boring floating to whatever nearest resurrection thing they can find to revive (the florid on endless mode mostly..)

But changing the settings to Wilderness allows them to completely skip the become a ghost phase and get right back into the game and action.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m actually Against the idea of adding a “Ghost Mode” to Wilderness. Why?? Because I have friends who die ALOT and find it boring floating to whatever nearest resurrection thing they can find to revive (the florid on endless mode mostly..)

But changing the settings to Wilderness allows them to completely skip the become a ghost phase and get right back into the game and action.

Fair point, but I say there should be a botton for ghost characters in wilderness to swap instantly (like the world reset botton "reset now").

And with that your friends don't have to wonder around in ghost form unless they want to salvage their current life

On 4/23/2023 at 8:05 PM, -Variant said:

And meat effigies! they should insta-revive you, like in DS, as long as you are attuned to one in the shard where you died.

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

And meat effigies! they should insta-revive you, like in DS, as long as you are attuned to one in the shard where you died.

THIS! Give me my classic DS revival options in Wilderness! Augh!

Archived