Deadly Brightshades shouldn't destroy walls & fences

I think it's the worst that they destroy walls. There's no way to prevent them or keep them away from certain plants, which is fair considering they're supposed to keep you away from your resources, but I don't think it's a fun experience to have your builds destroyed when you fight them. They always do their thorn attack when they stop being stunned, and with how much health they have it's almost impossible to beat them down in one cycle - not that it should be a requirement to keep your decorative structures in the first place.

I don't think their ability to break walls impacts the difficulty much one way or the other, so this change would be appreciated by those of us who like to make things look pretty with plants.

9 hours ago, Cassielu said:

This is the way all AOE attacks work, damage everything within range that has health bar. They're not doing it to break down your walls.

They could just make it not damage walls though. It doesn’t add difficulty or uncompromisingness to the game if the plants that don’t move can destroy your walls. Batilisks attack walls without damaging them, so it’s entirely possible to have an attack not damage walls specifically.

You have to take into consideration what destroying your walls and fences actually does in the “Long-Term” not just what this ONE Mob does in this Beta…

Lets think of it like Minecraft, if you build a nice heavily fortified base, but a creeper gets in too close and Blows up your Wall, then the spiders & skeletons you were safely picking off from your “Safe Haven” can now Invade your defenses.

Its like this with almost every other sandbox survival game-

7 Days to Die sends flaming Zombies towards your wooden defenses so the other zombies you’d been picking off can break in.

Ark Survival Evolved has mobs that can destroy your fences so mobs that can’t destroy your fences can get Inside (like that big feather chicken who leads Carno’s around with its scream)

Even the Tower Defense DLC for State of Decay 2 has juggernauts charge your barricades so the hordes you had been holding off can break in.

These things destroy your walls so that you can’t just hide behind a wall and pick the swarm off, you need to repair your defenses when they become damaged.

Does it wreck Mega Bases? Oh absolutely!!! But- No worse than the Eye of Terror or Twins of Terror would if they happened to spawn in your base.

I don’t think we should be suggesting that these things Can’t destroy walls, when we don’t know what ELSE might come pouring out those rifts later.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You have to take into consideration what destroying your walls and fences actually does in the “Long-Term” not just what this ONE Mob does in this Beta…

I mean, walls are a myth, they cant stop a single hound for longer than a couple dozen seconds. walls are decorative except when they're used to funnel stuff.

I get what you're saying, and I agree with the intent, but destroying walls at least serves no combat function unless the player is directly behind said walls.

I think its pretty fair to say they could just leave the walls alone unless the player is hiding behind them.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Lets think of it like Minecraft, if you build a nice heavily fortified base, but a creeper gets in too close and Blows up your Wall, then the spiders & skeletons you were safely picking off from your “Safe Haven” can now Invade your defenses.

The concept of a heavily fortified base isn't a thing in DST, though. A single hound or spider will chew through your walls in like, seconds. Walls are 99% of the time going to be used simply for decoration, or for keeping passive mobs in pens, where you likely won't have plants anyway unless THOSE are for decor.

That being said, a creeper is easily preventable and it's the player's fault if that happens. Brightshades spawning isn't preventable though, and they aren't going to be somehow letting other dangerous mobs into your base, they're just going to break walls you placed for decoration.

16 minutes ago, sylvia wander o said:

The concept of a heavily fortified base isn't a thing in DST, though.

Except: statues, fossils, lure plants - anything with collision issues. People will replace the fences/walls with those objects once the game changes. There goes the "survival challenge" out of the window. Also, the devs have made about six wall/fence skins, why now would they expect players to never use them? It doesn't seem like a wise business decision on their part, does it?

On 4/9/2023 at 4:03 AM, Cassielu said:

This is the way all AOE attacks work, damage everything within range that has health bar. They're not doing it to break down your walls.

Sand pillars are an aoe attack that does not damage "anything with a healthbar", it ignores flying creatures and maybe more. And I'm pretty sure most if not all aoe attacks ignore shadows, despite them having healthbars. 

29 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

And I'm pretty sure most if not all aoe attacks ignore shadows, despite them having healthbars. 

Yet Earthquakes damage shadows which still confuses me like a decade later.

Archived