One big single map for the game in Spaced-Out, please

I normally don`t play ONI with mods, to ensure maximum game stability stability...I had a look at the currently mod situation with maps:

Everywhere I read comments like map mods broken, not working, please fix etc.

Dear Klei, please give us the game option to start with a giant big map in the Space Out DLC + lots of world trait options, geysers, ice, water, oil and metal resources for that big map. I am not interested in running multiple colonies and only wants to explore space, later in the game, for space resource mining and exploration.

I would like to play all game content, with the flair of playing the original base game. I do not need or want other planetoids/colonies.

I am waiting now since 2 years. :-(

Also please make it possible to play the game without rocket interiors, like in the original base game. I do not want to spend time playing in rockets.

In my opinion you took a lot of fun for me away, by releasing SpaceOut in the way you did.

Having a big map, with all SpacedOut content and the option to not play in rockets, had always been crucial points for my fun with the game.

I considered playing the game again, but I will play something else now.

image.png.9173cc29b3cc17102498ea95683dbb83.png

IMHO not having the original base game flair, is the reason why the base game is rated "Overwhelmingly Positive" on Steam and the DLC SpacedOut is not.

You have created this problem yourself, in my opinion you can get the "base game flair" back - You just need to consider user feedback, work on it and give us the play options.

Example:

World generation setting - Rocket interiors ON/OFF

If the player chooses OFF, then dupes disappear in rockets and their needs are paused as long they are inside a rocket. Other game play issues you can figure out for yourself :p Having the option to not play inside rockets would be such a relief for me and would add to the original base game flair.

Also the game option to play in one big dlc map, would allow to focus the players hardware system resources on to this one big, actively played map. Builders love a big plot of land in games ! A big map and no colonies ( as game option ) would add so much base game flair. You took this fun away from me 2 years ago.

Kind regards, babba

What do you find lacking about the Classic starts in Spaced Out?  At 238x380 tiles they might not be as large as a base game map (256x512 iirc) but they are still massive.  On a Terrania start you already get lots of world trait options, geysers, ice, water, oil and metal resources and all the story traits.  Here is an example of 1 such map, generated in the last hour:

image.thumb.png.77f0f4d6fec7ae61241da877ca7a5e66.png

There's plenty there to play with without needing to ever leave, very similar to a base game start.  If you want more resources you can choose a seed with Geoactive and Metal Rich.

I agree that there should be more options to not be forced to play so much in Spaced Out rockets.  Even with the Blueprints mod I find building in rocket interiors tedious after doing it a few times.  The latest update also wrecked many rocket interior options now that 2 Laboratory buildings interfere with Great Halls.

What would be an awesome option would be to add options to the base game (with the DLC deactivated) that only Spaced Out DLC owners get.  World generations with radioactive biomes and all the DLC critters and what have you but with base game starmap mechanics.  A built in option to turn meteors on or off at game start would be nice too.

Imagine how it would be to play a map, where all colonies are visually mapped together in to 1 big map ( size ).

Currently the player can only actively ( at once ) play the fraction of the games total map, whereas switching to different colonies is technically moving the visual camera to somewhere else, to a different map part piece ( a colony is technically a part of the game map ). Rocket interiors are technically also map pieces and drag the players game speed down.

What I loved with the original base game: a.) I was not forced to play inside rockets b.) Players computer systems only utilized the 1 map ( visible to the player ), the game map had not been technically partitioned in to several ( camera change ) maps, like in the dlc.

11 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Base game map is 256x384 so not that much bigger than a Classic Spaced Out starting map (240x380)

In the dlc each colony is a part piece of 1 big simulated map, that is why a lot of people ( especially those which do not have the latest cpu ), are suffering with the game speed. If the game would only run in your described map size, it would run at amazing and great game speed for everyone.

2 years of player game speed complaints have past now... :roll:

Broken ONI mods used to provide player defined options to configure map sizes, world traits etc. , however in the last two year I expected these kind of fully fledged map configuration options to be provided by Klei.

A common critic point of steam reviews is that the base game and the dlc are two different games - It does not have to be like that. IMHO it is up to Klei to provide extended player map options within the dlc.

I can not transmit to you how much I hate rocket interiors maps and playing inside rockets, it is so bad for me that I stopped playing the game. Just gathering space resources in the original base game, without entering rockets, was so great fun for me !

If Klei offers to launch rockets unmanned with autopilot, that would be great. That is what I have been suggesting for 2 years now. :p

------------------------

12 hours ago, tuxii said:

There's plenty there to play with without needing to ever leave...

I sadly have to disagree my dear friend :ghost: It is not enough for me. Imagine how great it could be to play a map of the size...of all colonies mapped together. :p Why create this artificial barrier for all players ? Give players the option to configure a map size in the game.

image.thumb.png.8ea4467bca513d0661dd7612aade9e00.pngimage.thumb.png.1e0b31e5702531c48b0dbff64f10438e.png

IMHO you mentioned great points, dear @tuxii, I hope Klei reads this thread. :p

12 hours ago, tuxii said:

...I agree that there should be more options to not be forced to play so much in Spaced Out rockets.  Even with the Blueprints mod I find building in rocket interiors tedious after doing it a few times.  The latest update also wrecked many rocket interior options now that 2 Laboratory buildings interfere with Great Halls.

What would be an awesome option would be to add options to the base game (with the DLC deactivated) that only Spaced Out DLC owners get.  World generations with radioactive biomes and all the DLC critters and what have you but with base game starmap mechanics.  A built in option to turn meteors on or off at game start would be nice too.

39 minutes ago, babba said:

it would run at amazing and great game speed for everyone.

That's just an assumption... My assumption is that a bigger map will always lag either it is on fragments (like it currently is) or not.

42 minutes ago, babba said:

I can not transmit to you how much I hate rocket interiors maps and playing inside rockets, it is so bad for me that I stopped playing the game.

I cannot tell you how much I like the current setup for rockets. :rolleyes: I actually put double the time in spaced out than I did in the base game (1k h compared to 2k h) and I'm not willing to play the base game again.

48 minutes ago, babba said:

I sadly have to disagree my dear friend :ghost: It is not enough for me.

image.thumb.png.8ea4467bca513d0661dd7612aade9e00.pngimage.thumb.png.1e0b31e5702531c48b0dbff64f10438e.png

There is soooo much empty space in this base! :spidercowers:

I guess there will always be a request for smaller/bigger/other map even if Klei came up with even more options. Maybe a totally configurable, sandbox-like map would please more people? Or maybe a predefined map using a map editor of some kind? A map editor where you decide on your starting asteroid and what other asteroids to add or not and you "paint" everything where you want them to be instead of letting the game decide on their position. It would lack the charm of the current randomness of the ONI map but I guess it would achieve its purpose of having a map the way you want it to be

@sakura_skNobody wants to take the rocket interior gameplay away, my pledge is that there is the option to play without spending time inside rockets - So that players which do not want to spend time in rockets can enjoy just watching their rockets flying, looking at them my dear friend :p

I love your spider and the comment ! :lol:

Unmanned rockets, autopilot(rocket module), game option "Switch rocket interiors off"...Whatever, you name it - I take it :congratulatory:

---------

In the original game it was easy to set a custom map size, then Klei sadly changed to map meshing 2 years ago. I do hope they can provide a meshed up map size of all colonies combined. In this sentence I am talking of the total map size, regardless of map content.

Map content: Klei, please give us great world generation settings with lots of options, for one big dlc map !

It would be so nice for big map builders, which would like to have a really big, single map...Like in the good old base game times !

1 big map + star map + space exploration and space resource rocket mining...a star map without colonies...that would be lovely, to achieve base game flair. :p

---------

I have add the word "single" to the thread topic, to express that the base game flair for me is about playing in one big single map ( without colonies, but with all the dlc spaced-out content ). As always - As game option, not as a replacement. It is about a request to Klei to give us choices and options. :love_heart:

image.png.e26a6b96798ba61e32571946cd04ce23.png Make more players happy, dear Papa Klei Smurf :ghost:

:|@sakura_skI was further thinking as I was out shopping, I just want to mention that I have always adored your rocket interior builds :p

For me it is about not forcing everyone in to playing inside rockets ( all the time ). I would continue playing on my current map ( and fill your acclaimed "gaps" ) at current cycle ~10000, but I can not face further rocket interior micromanagement anymore. I would so love to play ONI...

I would like a Klei option solution where I can look at rockets just from the outside ( like in the original base game ), lifting off, exploring space and mining resource on the star map. Whatever it takes to do that, please Klei...make it possible.

It would also be great to have the other colonies in one map, as game option. IMHO then Klei has solved the player critic point that the base game and the dlc are felt as two different games by a certain amount of players.

All colonies are already in the ram memory ( and parallel simulated ), I don`t want to camera hop around to different places ( colonies ) - I would like to have it all in local "direct access", old base game style. That would be a superb map generation setting option for me :afro:

This is how ONI feels since 2 years for me, since forced colonies and forced rocket interior play:

image.png.ac83f2641d0b11d90f478a48ec17b62a.png

I find the DLC content good ( altough it destroyed the game fun for me ), it is just missing important functionality options for me since 2 years.

IMHO Klei has realized that the way they implement the dlc was not a good path, so they chose to now just update the game for everyone - Instead of releasing further dlcs.

Maybe Klei will not touch the map system anymore, the more time goes by...The more game content gets added, the more dependencies exists in the game and the longer it takes to change/add or modify game content. :|

If the games future will be about changing the color of boots, then I`m off a lot to Kerbal Space 2.

Time for a coffee :razz:

It might be possible to play with the worldgen files yourself to create exactly what you think you want, without having to use mods.

Just looking through the files, they seem not very complicated and it certainly is possible to spawn everything you want in one world just by altering these files.

Many thanks dear @tuxii :beguiled: Im handing you a big coffee ! Its a great video :cheerful:

I looked in to modifying map files 2 years ago. The thing is, I play hundreds or thousands of hours on a save, Klei has broken a lot of my saves in the past with updates over the years...I would like to have something fully and proper served by Klei in the world generating settings. Over the years I had started too many times fresh and Klei broke things again and again. I used to play the old base game in 1000x1000 tiles or so :lol: , Klei also broke that with content updates.

If I would not have to be forced to play in rockets, I would continue with my current save file. I cant stand the rocket interior micromanagement anymore. :(

Hopefully the video is useful for other forumistas :razz:

image.png.e07bfc5181a35241f7f2a390990afc31.png

14 hours ago, tuxii said:

Just looking through the files, they seem not very complicated and it certainly is possible to spawn everything you want in one world just by altering these files.

Actually it's really easy to chagne some stuff with worldgen (talking about spaced out code), after some practice you can change many many things, size of every asteroid is only beginning, you can alter light levels, radiation levels on the surface, prohibit certain traits or entire groups of traits (looking at you bolders), or even remove or add as many asteroids as you want(if you have beefy enough computer), there probalby is a limit though. You can even tell the game to spawn certain POIs (geysers inclued) in certain biomes, and create your own templates so you can (most of the time) guarantee exactly the things you want. You can tell the game where and how many asteroids and Space POIs to spawn in starmap, (so one biiiiig asteroid with many Space POIs scattered in space is possile), to my knowlage you can also make meteors (and probably mooteors) spawn, though I am not sure about that one. Story traits are somehow working, but their spawning rules are in some other files, don't know where though. Yes, with modified worldgen there can be problems, but even just playing with them and seeing the efects is fun.

Many thanks, I am looking for a map generator which allows me to generate one very big map with lots of geysers, oil and metal and such ( I also dont want to use the sandbox editor ). I would like to play without other colonies...

I will check out both mods in this week :beguiled:

I hope Klei will offer a very big dlc map, without other colonies, as a dlc map generation setting in the game.

It also would be great to have an underwater submarine and deep diving helmets for the dupes :love_heart:

Aquatico inspiration

On 1/7/2023 at 7:40 AM, babba said:

I sadly have to disagree my dear friend :ghost: It is not enough for me. Imagine how great it could be to play a map of the size...of all colonies mapped together. :p Why create this artificial barrier for all players ? Give players the option to configure a map size in the game.

IMHO you mentioned great points, dear @tuxii, I hope Klei reads this thread. :p

I wish I had your dedication

I just want to chime in: I, too, think the rocket micro-management is supremely boring. 

Exploring is fun. Clever builds that don't take a hundred cycles are fun.

Telling dupes to take off their atmo suits, or put them on, or telling them to stop sleeping in their space cot and go back to their deluxe apartment, or stop eating berry sludge and rad pills and go back to surf-n-turf, none of that is fun for me.

Micro-designing a rocket interior *is* fun. The first ten times. Then it's just repeat repeat repeat. And because of the micro-management, you can't just make it happen and look away, you gotta have non-priority work queued up, and you gotta watch.

I love this game, and have logged over 3k hours of play, from when there wasn't even any oil.

And I love the community, so many people working so hard to make such magnificent things.

But micro-managing rockets is boring.

Cheers! -- GeePaw

Many thanks dear @sakura_sk:razz:

I also love this comment from a user in the mod:

image.thumb.png.a04921bbeb35a7d653e834d54239a4d0.png

I really hope Klei expands on the map generation options for players. The more variety, the better.

I`m getting my rtx 4070ti in 1 hour, I cant wait to lick over the board :congratulatory:

image.png.9c3ec06db199f305c4765bc5815e7a80.png Bus for 4 dupes, sweepy drives :lol:

image.png.c1e3ac9fbb2680a88139880534ca5a5a.png Phantom critters in the game would be great :afro:

On 1/17/2023 at 6:14 AM, GeePaw said:

I just want to chime in: I, too, think the rocket micro-management is supremely boring. 

Exploring is fun...

It would be lovely if players do not get forced to build inside rockets, as a game play option. In whatever way Klei can think of doing it and offering that to everyone. I`m very glad I do not yet have to play inside a fridge in the game... :lol:

Once the next big(ger) update is launched, I will be back to play the beloved ONi :ghost:

Archived