Radbolts melting/evaporating automation wires.

On 12/24/2022 at 9:43 PM, melquiades said:

They all end up melting or simply evaporating.

And it seems to happen not just by radbolt collisions but just radbolts passing by.

I`d try making a deflector and running the automation under it so it works kinda like a bridge. If they won`t "touch" the wires they won`t melt them hopefully.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:55 PM, meekay said:

Do you have a save file showing your setup?

Here you go!:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gnadxz7kwgh3b3y/Macondo_nueva_NUEVA_ver.sav/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/g7vnxspwurl1n6e/Macondo_nueva_NUEVA_ver_Cycle_6486.sav/file

(The latest save file didn't open for some reason.)

Thank you for taking a look, it has quite a lot of mods, the savefile can probably run without them though.

Here are the images from the setups (My idea for all setups is to try not to waste radbolts.):

This is the largest one, it usually fails when i am making diamond:

Spoiler

1376584088_Capturadepantalla(871).thumb.jpg.1682db1eab6c8f67c03ed597075b9082.jpg

This fails less often, but when it does, it clogs the production of the whole asteroid:

Spoiler

1104416363_Capturadepantalla(872).thumb.jpg.eb8c18954c6b3b8a28d38bf6ad7ed61b.jpg

I ended up doing a long way around in the lower left corner to try and avoid the radbolts from colliding.

And this is the newest setup, that have failed at least 3 times by now, when fully operational:

On 12/27/2022 at 8:41 PM, Sasza22 said:

I`d try making a deflector and running the automation under it so it works kinda like a bridge. If they won`t "touch" the wires they won`t melt them hopefully.

I'm sorry i couldn't picture that ._.'

Do you have an example?

23 hours ago, tuxii said:

I've never had problems with radbolts melting automation.

But perhaps these ideas could work for you:

image.png.fd854de522a73186fc9c2a2abe81d01d.png

I'll try to do that as much as i can now, thanks, but i don't know if i will be able to doing that near the radbolt reservoirs.

ps: i just noticed that i joined the wrong cables on image 2 after they melted xD

I've been having this problem, too. Automation wires around radbolt chambers and diamond presses just disappear occasionally. And I'm just assuming that they're melting even though they're not gradually getting hotter as far as I can tell, they just sometimes are suddenly gone. They don't even need to be on the direct path of the radbolt to be affected - I just had to replace some one cell under the radbolt path. The worst part is that the automation output for diamond presses is the same cell as the radbolt input, so there's no way to avoid putting the wires right where the radbolts are going.

I suspect it might be related to something I noticed once with my radbolt chambers where for some reason the radbolts were sometimes colliding with the input cell and exploding into nuclear fallout instead of entering or passing the chamber. The whole reason I put automation on my diamond presses was because I had a couple instances where dupes were spontaneously becoming incapacitated by radiation poisoning while operating diamond presses. I assume the same thing that I saw at my radbolt chambers is happening to my diamond presses and the exploding radbolts are killing my dupes and perhaps melting the wires. But I have no idea at all why the radbolts are behaving this way or how to prevent it.

@Salty Waters Late reply i am sorry. Yes, from what i have noticed too, the cables seem to evaporate when they are exposed to a burst of nuclear fallout, either when one radbolt hits another radbolt when "entering" the input cell or when radbolts collide midair. The solutions suggested here weren't enough to get rid of the problem. The cables near the  input cells tend to still get deleted, and there is no way around that, that i can think of.

Example of one situation that might or might not delete the cable, because it is not guaranteed to happen.

Shoot several radbolts in quick succession towards the Interplanetary Launcher, as soon as the first one hits, it seem to get "stuck" on the entrance for a frame to animate the radbolt entering the building, the following radbolt can hit the previous radbolt when that is happening and it generates a burst or a cloud of radbolts. In the video i posted above, you can see it almost at the end at 0:36.

7 hours ago, melquiades said:

Is this intended behavior or should i report a bug? I got kind of annoyed at this cause i haven't find a proper solution.

I checked the game code and it seems intended. There's a condition that triggers something called "blackhole" when radbolts colide with a solid object and I'm not sure what happens then but it seems to emit nuclear waste by converting part of the collision cell's mass into it. Since automation wires are very light, they quickly turn into nuclear waste after a few collisions. The rate is proportional to the radbolt's particles.

I'm not sure what happens if there's gas in the same cell, so perhaps if you make the chamber airtight and vent CO2 there the gas would be destroyed instead. Worth a try!

10 hours ago, MiniDeathStar said:

I'm not sure what happens if there's gas in the same cell, so perhaps if you make the chamber airtight and vent CO2 there the gas would be destroyed instead. Worth a try!

Thank you for trying to help, really appreciate you even took the time to read the code =)

At least the "transparent" tile must be a bug, right?

I could try to enclose it but man it is a lot of work... the chamber must not be airtight for the launcher to shoot, so i must feed it some gas constantly, (it could be H2 that i don't use in that asteroid). I don't know at which rate i would have to feed gas to the chamber so it has enough of an atmosphere to prevent the "blackhole" from mushing the wires. and if i will be able to produce it, cause i don't have that much water in that asteroid.

At this point i will just not bother anymore, i will just let the reservoir to shoot radbolts whenever without care for downtime or wasted rads.

I usually only use launchers once I have my nuclear reactor running. I have 10+ collectors all leeching excess power from the steam turbines, each producing 1500+ radbolts per cycle. Then I never have to worry about storing radbolts anymore. Collisions do happen, but mostly inside the chamber with 100 kg steam pressure.

Unless I'm missing something, you're firing your radbolts towards a wall, and if both the launcher and storage are full, the bolt will hit the wall. Even with automation to turn off generators or reflectors, a partial bolt would still be able to blast the wall, which is going to cause all kinds of problems.

I always have any extra radbolt energy reflected into space as a failsafe. Doing that, even firing hundreds of bolts a cycle across multiple worlds, the only time I've ever had any radbolt damage was when a dupe managed to thwart my dummyproofing and eat a bolt for lunch. :) 

On 4/11/2023 at 12:15 AM, melquiades said:

At least the "transparent" tile must be a bug, right?

Transparent tile is a bug for sure. When radbolts destroy tile it should disappear. But it doesnt happens correctly. Same effect happens when tile is melted. There is ghost tile left which is not actually here. 

Safest way to destroy unnecessary radbolts is ti make two reflectors in front of each other. So bolt will move  back and forth until disappearing. 

11 hours ago, asurendra said:

Safest way to destroy unnecessary radbolts is ti make two reflectors in front of each other. So bolt will move  back and forth until disappearing. 

I ended doing something similar, i placed a reflector thingy shooting to itself until the bolt disappears.

Archived