About shadow dimension's storage privacy

Currently magician't hat, magician's box and shadow chester works the following way: they are not creating separate container, like chest and other storage options do upon crafting, but rather are "windows" to connect to shadow dimention storage space, which leads to items there being shared between mentioned 3 items much like it works for root trunk in Hamlet. While it's cool to share items across space, I would like to have an option for Maxwell to lock his magician's hat and magician's box from "public" shadow dimension and ability to link it with other locked magician's hats/magician's boxes (it could be a spell with ability to target containers for binding as long as they are in proximity).

Right now basically anyone on the same shard can steal Maxwell's stuff as long as shadow chester exists or magician box is built somewhere relatively accessible; also Maxwell player can troll another Maxwell player.

Edit: I like that magician's hat is team-oriented gimmick of Maxwell and wish it to stay that way, which is why I'm proposing linking in addition to locking, i.e. creation of private nets as opposed to only be able to have public net and separated containers; plus creating multiple nets would solve multiple Maxwells fighting over fixed amount of limited slots in shadow dimension, as well as multiple sub-teams doing so. I also would like to avoid situation when I want to pass some supplies to my friend on lunar/monkey island or pass some resources back to base, but some random just yoinks them from random magician's box/hat/shadow chester and disconnects. For those who think it would be Woby 2.0: no, it wouldn't: Woby and magician's top hat/box have other than storage functionality that differentiates them enough.

I don't think that needs to be left that way, so here is how locking and linking could work.

Upon creation magician't top hat and magician's box would be connected to "public" shadow dimension, just like it works now. Hat and box could have additional prompt to "lock" them, after which they could be treated as separate container. Maxwell could be given new spell for linking shadow containers along the other 4 spells, and much like other spells one would need to target 2 or more shadow containers to bind them together (merge their space), and prompt to "unbind" could make targeted container unlinked and public again.

- in case merging containers happen to hold more items than there is space in resulting common container, extra items should be dropped on the ground/inventory;

- in case one disconnects with one of the linked containers, contents should stay accessible from other linked containers of this "net";

- if one wishes to unlink container, one should be given a choice what items would stay in separating part;

- in case one disconnects forever with something in locked container, let it be that way since it would be no different from disconnecting with something in one's inventory, thus it wouldn't be any more severe griefing or trolling than average Wilson would be able to do.

It may look complicated, but I see no obstacle in principle to make it work as proposed.

Edit: in order to avoid Maxwell having near infinite inventory via multiple locked magician's top hats there could be condition of having no more than one magician's top hat in the inventory at the same time. Attempts to pick/craft more could lead to Maxwell refusing to do so and give appropriate quote (something like "Being too greedy didn't make a good service to me in the past").

51 minutes ago, Gerrent95 said:

Its kinda meant to be a team perk, not personal storage. It's not Woby.

But it is Woby. If no one else picks Maxwell it's exactly like Woby. I like that you can send items to Chester and so I was opposed to making the hats private, but having an option to make them private like this isn't a bad idea.

My only concern is being able to have more than one storage at once. If you could just keep linking things you could have hundreds of inventory slots for little cost, and even having two separate hats would be a bit strong.

6 hours ago, Gerrent95 said:

But it will remain team perk, hence I mentioned linking. Right now I'm discouraged from using it in multipleyer worlds that randoms can join (majority of worlds that are not solo).

Also for solo world it's indeed extra storage, but it's completely private. Sure, there is extra functionality, but it's private in addition to that. I would like this team perk not become weaker once other people are around, especially other Maxwells who would fight for space.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

My only concern is being able to have more than one storage at once. If you could just keep linking things you could have hundreds of inventory slots for little cost, and even having two separate hats would be a bit strong.

This could work like beefalo bell that is already bonded: it could be impossible to have 2 magician's hats in the inventory at the same time. If one tried to pick another hat, Maxwell could refuse and say appropriate quote (I don't like how one can force beefalo bell from other player's inventory by giving another bell).

- agree with having each Maxwell have their own inventory space dimension

- agree with making magic hat private. MAke it so that if Maxwell gives his hat to another MAxwell, the recipient would be able to open their own storage dimension and not the one of the person who gave the hat.

- agree with changing chester. They should leave shadow chester as is in the live server, and have maxwell an ability that changes chester into a different special chester if he choses to share inventory with chester. Going this will have chester share inventory with THAT Maxwell and not any other Maxwells in the world

- do not agree with private magic box. It is meant to be a chest, if you are worried people might steal things from inside your magic box, the would also steal things from yourregular chests. If you are playing in a world with this kind of players, might as well not play on that world coz those players would burn your base anyway... including your magic box.

Be great if we could lock woby as well, be nice not to be forced to ride woby near randomers on public servers :wilson_ecstatic:

Edit: selfish me doesn't want maxwell to have his own personal storage... takes away the unique strength walter had.... hope they revise all the other older reworks an buff each character accordingly... like they did with wormwood, wortox and wurt. The buffs they gave to walter (woby having abit of hp before bucking) was great but its just not quite enough!

8 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Be great if we could lock woby as well, be nice not to be forced to ride woby near randomers on public servers :wilson_ecstatic:

Edit: selfish me doesn't want maxwell to have his own personal storage... takes away the unique strength walter had.... hope they revise all the other older reworks an buff each character accordingly... like they did with wormwood, wortox and wurt. The buffs they gave to walter (woby having abit of hp before bucking) was great but its just not quite enough!

agree, he should not be selfish. But he should at least have the option with chester as this could also be a downside for other players. What if the other player wants a shadow chester for his own portable storage? He will be forced to share it with Maxwell. It would be better if chester will only be shared if both maxwell and the player who has chester would both agree to share the storage. The magic box should be shared at all times as the main purpose of it is transporting items to base. However, I also do not like the idea of multiple maxwells having only 1 space to share as it kinda nullifies the perk for the other.

That sounds like it would be very complicated to implement, and probably equally complicated to use. Is there a limit to how many "networks" you can make? How are you supposed to keep track of them, what if you accidentally (or intentionally) destroy the last container of that network? It also provides even more opportunity for griefing: right now you're worried that a Maxwell will steal your stuff from one public shadow chest and disconnect with it, but imagine if he could instead expand his inventory with 10 private shadow chests and steal your entire base, that's definitely not the same level of damage.

6 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

This could work like beefalo bell that is already bonded: it could be impossible to have 2 magician's hats in the inventory at the same time. If one tried to pick another hat, Maxwell could refuse and say appropriate quote (I don't like how one can force beefalo bell from other player's inventory by giving another bell).

Yeah that would solve the issue. Another way could be that all Maxwell inventories are their own, and you instead link to Shadow Chester somehow. Like put the Codex Umbra in him and he has shadow graphics pop up around him to signify that you linked him to you.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Yeah that would solve the issue. Another way could be that all Maxwell inventories are their own, and you instead link to Shadow Chester somehow. Like put the Codex Umbra in him and he has shadow graphics pop up around him to signify that you linked him to you.

this exactly what I meant too

The proposed version sounds too complicated from the perspective of multiple players all interacting with items that look the same as other items but that for some reason have different functions.

Existing storage options already fill the roles that are being asked for...

22 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

Right now basically anyone on the same shard can steal Maxwell's stuff as long as shadow chester exists or magician box is built somewhere relatively accessible; also Maxwell player can troll another Maxwell player.

...Maxwells fighting over fixed amount of limited slots in shadow dimension...

This. It'll happen. And I would rather not have to worry about imposing my will on someone or vice versa. Also I wouldn't want to soil someones experience with shadow chester. As of right now the only reason I would be enchanting the hat is a dps increase.

Linking your hat to different boxes might be a little complicated, but if you wanted privacy just don't make the box and use the hat and people wouldn't be able to get into your storage. If a Maxwell wants to co op in he can slap his box into the base. More Max means more box means more chance of one grabbing something you need and you could still facilitate trades from base.

21 hours ago, Gerrent95 said:

People keep bringing this up. I did not know we could ride our hat like a beefalo while shooting at things :confused:.

Archived