A simple Warly suggested change.

Good afternoon all,

Normally I write an entire thesis when I express a change I'd like to see. But not today. If I start talking about Warly for too long, I'll never shut up.

My suggestion is that Warly could gain sanity from directly force feeding a player a meal, via holding the meal and then pressing M2 on another player (which is already a thing, but Warly could gain actual benefit benefit it.)

Perhaps 5 for a standard or small meal, perhaps more depending on how complex or hard to obtain the recipe was based on a tiered food mechanic, and perhaps a little more if it were spiced.

That's all.

That could end up with newbie player burning through whole fridge just to get that +40 sanity. I only found force-feeding useful when you play with absolute beginners, so you want to make sure that they get those stats since they are too distracted to notice that you gave them food/sanity/health they asked for.

3 hours ago, Losparkeros said:

That could end up with newbie player burning through whole fridge just to get that +40 sanity. I only found force-feeding useful when you play with absolute beginners, so you want to make sure that they get those stats since they are too distracted to notice that you gave them food/sanity/health they asked for.

Maybe if the other player actually needed the food it would work (like it’s below 40% hunger) and it will stop working after that. It could be a nice extra thing

6 hours ago, Losparkeros said:

You know, that's a great point. Perhaps Warly could tell when someone actually needs the stats while he's holding the food. With as much as he hates seeing food wasted, an ability to highlight a character that needs food the most around him, either with an item or through the HUD while he is hovering over a specific meal, would be very useful. Perhaps a glowing tint with a red aura if they need HP, yellow if they need sanity and blue if they need hunger. Something like that, maybe. Or he could just see their stats directly in these cases to eliminate guesswork lol.

Alternatively, I do realize there are visual cue animations that display two out of three of the stats in critical condition already. A character grabs their tummy when hungry, and clutches their temples when near insane. There should be an idling animation for low health too, such as clutching their arm and just looking miserable, kind of like in ONI. In addition, the animation that plays should be correspondent to the lowest stat, so that an ally can properly aid them in what they need most at that time, rather it be food or healing.

2 hours ago, Starlogy said:

... What if Warly straight up buffed the foods that he feeds to people, instead of just a small 5 Sanity?

I'd be totally fine with this! When i first started playing Warly in DST, I must admit I loathed how much harder he is than in SP and missed his single player food stats increase. What I failed to realize was that there's usually more than one person gathering many different ingredients of food in a base, and it very much encourages a Warly both beginner and veteran to constantly make use of them all. Gone are the days of a few metaballs or a single meaty stew just kind of carrying him. And while they do certainly still help, there is real fun and challenge in creatively overcoming the food memory with much more recipes. And through learning and actively using those, also knows the best ones to give others for their own stats: what would encourage that even more is Warly actually actually sharing that old strength to others in times of need. I don't think it'd be too strong, since he has to feed them directly, and he can't possibly follow everyone around at once feeding them lmao. It would make being someone's personal chef even more fun.

Aaaand I'm already rambling. Yes. I think that would be really nice and fit his supportive utility.

11 hours ago, Qairon said:

You know, that's a great point. Perhaps Warly could tell when someone actually needs the stats while he's holding the food. With as much as he hates seeing food wasted, an ability to highlight a character that needs food the most around him, either with an item or through the HUD while he is hovering over a specific meal, would be very useful. Perhaps a glowing tint with a red aura if they need HP, yellow if they need sanity and blue if they need hunger. Something like that, maybe. Or he could just see their stats directly in these cases to eliminate guesswork lol.

Alternatively, I do realize there are visual cue animations that display two out of three of the stats in critical condition already. A character grabs their tummy when hungry, and clutches their temples when near insane. There should be an idling animation for low health too, such as clutching their arm and just looking miserable, kind of like in ONI. In addition, the animation that plays should be correspondent to the lowest stat, so that an ally can properly aid them in what they need most at that time, rather it be food or healing.

maybe warly could have a differant quote for hungry/hurt players?

On 11/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, Qairon said:

Good afternoon all,

Normally I write an entire thesis when I express a change I'd like to see. But not today. If I start talking about Warly for too long, I'll never shut up.

My suggestion is that Warly could gain sanity from directly force feeding a player a meal, via holding the meal and then pressing M2 on another player (which is already a thing, but Warly could gain actual benefit benefit it.)

Perhaps 5 for a standard or small meal, perhaps more depending on how complex or hard to obtain the recipe was based on a tiered food mechanic, and perhaps a little more if it were spiced.

That's all.

I think would be better if warly got sanity by cooking food and any food that he makes was like 10-15% better in hunger stats... and his memory should work like that

i ate meatballs, if i eat another diferent food, reset the last one, cus right now, i spend 99% of my time literally hunting for food to no starve to hunt for more food... and if i get hurt during the process i'll  have to sleep or eat healing foods but wait, i can't eat healing foods cus it will stack on his memory and i can't waste ingridients on healing foods cus will not fulfill my giant hunger bar so better sleep but if i do sleep, i'll be hunger and i can't eat more cus my memory takes 15m to reset one food. So i can't eat more and i can't hunt and i can't eat healing food and i 'cant sleep... just look how many 'i can't' warly has to just survive like any other character... he's like a high risk/lil reward and some people say he's one of the best characters in the game.

He literralys  just drags the gameplay, in any world that i was warly by the first winter we had way less accomplishments compared to any other world that i was playing like, wicker, wortox, wolfgang, woodie...   some people may say 'oh just get good' i don't have problems surviving with him but it's a fact that he slow the gameplay, while watching some streamers playing him, any world that they are playing a diferent character they are having a much better time than the world's were they are warly  and most of the servers people just pick him farm a bunch of spice food and then switch to another character, same goes for winona so clearly warly has a problem... he's a chef which is bad at doing chef stuff and act like a kid who doesn't wanna eat food which is totally opposite what a chef would do since they need to taste everything to make sure it's good enough for their clients. 

On 11/11/2022 at 1:37 AM, Qairon said:

(which is already a thing, but Warly could gain actual benefit benefit it.)

Warly is a professional chef, not a grandmother, he should get 1 gold for the first time he feed someone. If someone should gain sanity from feeding people, perhap old Wanda.

16 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Warly is a professional chef, not a grandmother, he should get 1 gold for the first time he feed someone. If someone should gain sanity from feeding people, perhap old Wanda.

I'm not knowledgeable in the Constant's economy, but somehow this will cause Wigfrid players' gold tax for their helms to skyrocket and lead to a recession for helmets everywhere. :wilson_bearded:

In seriousness that sounds cool. But Warly getting "paid" to cook though doesn't really fit the close-bonded survivors narrative that the game seems to suggest, Warly is doing less of a professional service and more of a necessity of life for everyone, in the same vein cooking for a family member or friend in need IRL would ease your mind if you know they're going through something serious. Well, that's how I always saw it anyways.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, Lord Cafe said:

He literralys  just drags the gameplay, in any world that i was warly by the first winter we had way less accomplishments compared to any other world that i was playing like, wicker, wortox, wolfgang, woodie...   some people may say 'oh just get good' i don't have problems surviving with him but it's a fact that he slow the gameplay, while watching some streamers playing him, any world that they are playing a diferent character they are having a much better time than the world's were they are warly  and most of the servers people just pick him farm a bunch of spice food and then switch to another character, same goes for winona so clearly warly has a problem... he's a chef which is bad at doing chef stuff and act like a kid who doesn't wanna eat food which is totally opposite what a chef would do since they need to taste everything to make sure it's good enough for their clients. 

You really put my feelings to words here in less words than I can. It has always bothered me since the Celestial Portal's introduction that characters with semi-permanent abilities, such as Warly mass-spicing nonperishables like jellybeans or powdercakes for use, or Winona placing her cannons and generators, and now even more recently swapping to Wicker to fill a few book cases full of books that self-regenerate to then swap to Maxwell, made them go-to hotswap characters and not really ones people play as longterm. It kind of still does bother me. They're just.... disposable now. (While I'm on that topic, there's some serious lore concerns with the Cele Portal, like, is your previous character actually escaping the Constant when you swap a character? Are they sent to some moon-prison or something, waiting for their turn to be tagged back in? I hope this is at least partially explained some day lmao) 

But at the end of the day, it's a world mechanic that's been in the game for years, it's not going away. I'd love to see it nerfed to some degree but that's probably not what others want, so it is what it is.

About Warly just being able to get less things done than other characters-- yep. I would honestly call that an indisputable fact. And before other Warly players argues that Warly can actually rush things quite faster than most characters with some setup or strategy, I know. I've done ruins rushes with nothing but a few axes and pickaxes, a grass suit, a few meatballs and 2-3 glowberry mousse. I've killed Dragonfly incredibly fast at a power level higher than even Wolfgang if I get a lucky goat horn for Chaud-froid, and after pelting her with a few waterballoons. So I know he has some potential if played in these ways, but if we're talking past 8+ days, he's already fallen behind any other character. I've done more with even Wes. They've explored more, killed more, and collected more resources than he has, because eventually, a Warly player has just wasted half his time in a run or server desperately searching for a large source of meat to fuel his bottomless pit of a stomach, for the next few days, not accounting for the time spent cooking and sorting his inventory full of food. Every other character has picked a handful of berries or ate some raw red meat (or in Wigfrid and Webbers case, a handful of monster meat) and is good to go for 2+ days, onto do whatever else they please.

Even with all of that said, if Warly is to be changed though, I want the supportive side of him to be perfected, and his own personal struggles unchanged, which is why I love the suggestions people provided in tandem of that. If he was any stronger at keeping HIMSELF fed, he'd actually... be too strong in my opinion. His outstandingly tedious gameplay is what balances out all of these things he can do. He'd be a legitimate solo character that can unironically survive easier than every other character, and getting to those brief bursts of power where he is just Thor, or a mini-Woodie if using honeyed spice, or can tank like Wigfrid if using garlic spice, would be less rewarding and far too frequent. I want those to stay incentivized to share with other characters more than himself. There'd be no incentive to share his cooking skills with others, or learn all his cool recipes, because the man would never actually need to be at the base. I honestly think Klei thinks this as well, with even removing his ability to eat raw ingredients in any and all forms, even in dire emergencies. (though it's probably more so inexperienced Warly's from completely obliterating a fridge trying to feed themselves, even after a carrot gets to the point of giving 3 hunger lol.

20 minutes ago, Qairon said:

(While I'm on that topic, there's some serious lore concerns with the Cele Portal, like, is your previous character actually escaping the Constant when you swap a character? Are they sent to some moon-prison or something, waiting for their turn to be tagged back in? I hope this is at least partially explained some day lmao) 

Most character quotes imply that it's basically death, but since they die often and are confirmed to do so in lore it's strange they'd react to it in such a fearful manner. I personally believe that it's more like their entire spirit being obliterated, or an Atheist's idea of an afterlife. I believe this because of Woodie's quote which says the feeling is familiar, and yet no one else says anything like that. Perhaps the same thing happens to Woodie whenever he transforms, since his spirit is also still afflicted by the curse so rather than Woodie just changing physically he's also wiped out mentally for a time, and so the Celestial Portal since you effectively delete the character from the game follows the same principle.

Sorry for being off-topic. I've pondered this before and so wanted to jump on the opportunity to talk about it :>

3 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

Sorry for being off-topic. I've pondered this before and so wanted to jump on the opportunity to talk about it :>

No worries!!! That is soo interesting to read, wow. I think you're absolutely right.

Edit: It also reminds me a lot of the Risk of Rain 2's optional ending of being able to "Obliterate" themselves. I wonder if that game took direct influence from DST's Cele Portal, since it involves seeking it out in some space-like void, and Lunar Coins are needed to get to it, I don't really remember. It's been a while since I played that game.

On 11/12/2022 at 5:52 PM, Lord Cafe said:

I think would be better if warly got sanity by cooking food and any food that he makes was like 10-15% better in hunger stats... and his memory should work like that

i ate meatballs, if i eat another diferent food, reset the last one, cus right now, i spend 99% of my time literally hunting for food to no starve to hunt for more food... and if i get hurt during the process i'll  have to sleep or eat healing foods but wait, i can't eat healing foods cus it will stack on his memory and i can't waste ingridients on healing foods cus will not fulfill my giant hunger bar so better sleep but if i do sleep, i'll be hunger and i can't eat more cus my memory takes 15m to reset one food. So i can't eat more and i can't hunt and i can't eat healing food and i 'cant sleep... just look how many 'i can't' warly has to just survive like any other character... he's like a high risk/lil reward and some people say he's one of the best characters in the game.

warly isnt wendy or wolfgang that have perks ready to use since day 1. Is a character to work like wurt and neither of those needs changes. Also idk what is stopping you from achieving stuff as him, i always kill eye of terror--> ruins rush taking advantage or unagi, surf and turf, trail mix or buttermuffing--> prepare some farms--->kill klaus-->kill BQ with minimal preparation because of volt goat jelly and enjoying the power creep with the bundle wraps. Later i keep farming crops and finish the ruins in summer so i can reset them when i kill fw easily with, you guessed rigjt, volt goat jelly (usually in the 2nd winter cuz caves are wet)

Btw, the world offers food to feed multiple warlys, and now even more with the new food sources

Archived