Shadow sneak is awful

There's no sugarcoating it, this spell is nowhere near as good as the other 3. While it still has it's uses, generally speaking you don't need to use it ever. Long animation, short effect, short radius, very short activation radius, bad synergy with cage since it scatters mobs instead of rounding them up, and cannot be casted inside of cage, making it hard to land. Here's a very bad "screenshot" of me failing to combo it with cage. (My PC loads too long to bother with screen saving) 20221107_001635.thumb.jpg.782754c36c229f73d47a2784cbd304c9.jpg

As you can see, I summoned it rather close (cage didn't let me summon closer) but the spell didn't activated. And when it did activated I barely had time to kill 1 beefalo. You can cast multiple of them in advance, but not only will this take forever, luring mobs into them will prove challeng as the first creature in - actives it early and might even waste a few of them. 

My suggestion: rather than being a one time thing, I think this spell should last 25 seconds just like cage, and activate itself every time there is a creature in range. 

They last a long time so they're good to set up in advance, such as a backup for if splumonkeys start chasing you. They're also pretty good at getting nmf since they turn corruptibles into their nightmare variant with +1nmf dropped.

The first thing I would change about them is their duration. I think it's 8 minutes right now, which can be a bit short for setting up backups. Going this route would help differentiate it from the cage, where one is for the middle of combat and one is set up in advance.

They're fine. They are mainly used for nightmare fuel farming, the panic is just a bonus. I know some people would just say "fuel is easy, just go insane, kite shadow creatures, hurrdurr" but not everyone is a pro player. I for one have been farming nightmare fuel using rabbits eversince I played this game as it is a safer method than nightmare fissures/ shadow bosses, and yields way more fuel than fighting 1 shadow creature at a time. I would personally use the heck out of this spell on bunnies and bunny men to farm fuel. I also see some potential scenarios for the panic so, I don't see any issues with it. Though I would gladly welcome any additional mechanics like if they want it to transform more stuff like change flowers into evil flowers.

9 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

They're fine. They are mainly used for nightmare fuel farming, the panic is just a bonus. I know some people would just say "fuel is easy, just go insane, kite shadow creatures, hurrdurr" but not everyone is a pro player. I for one have been farming nightmare fuel using rabbits eversince I played this game as it is a safer method than nightmare fissures/ shadow bosses, and yields way more fuel than fighting 1 shadow creature at a time. I would personally use the heck out of this spell on bunnies and bunny men to farm fuel. 

This exactly.
You can grab like 20 bunnies, place them in a boat, use the shadow trap and get instantly 20 nightmare fuel risk free. Even without setup, converting one bunny in the wild at a time is still profitable as you get more fuel than you spend (spend 1 fuel, get 5, so the total profit of 4 fuels is enough to use the book entirely and refuel it to max). 

14 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

Though I would gladly welcome any additional mechanics like if they want it to transform more stuff like change flowers into evil flowers.

This would be really really good.

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This exactly.
You can grab like 20 bunnies, place them in a boat, use the shadow trap and get instantly 20 nightmare fuel risk free. Even without setup, converting one bunny in the wild at a time is still profitable as you get more fuel than you spend (spend 1 fuel, get 5, so the total profit of 4 fuels is enough to use the book entirely and refuel it to max). 

well you need to count the traps, and the time to setup as well, wortox was buffed for this motive, his power took too much time to use it, for an example

Just now, edulopes said:

well you need to count the traps, and the time to setup as well, wortox was buffed for this motive, his power took too much time to use it, for an example

It really doesn't take that much time.

Anyway, with no setup at all, whenever I'm walking around a bunny area as Maxwell I just lure 2-3 bunnies away from their holes, convert them and have a duelist assist me to kill them. With practice it takes less than a minute, and doing that 2 or 3 times, I always leave with a net gain of 5-6 fuels, without having to go insane.

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

It really doesn't take that much time.

Anyway, with no setup at all, whenever I'm walking around a bunny area as Maxwell I just lure 2-3 bunnies away from their holes, convert them and have a duelist assist me to kill them. With practice it takes less than a minute, and doing that 2 or 3 times, I always leave with a net gain of 5-6 fuels, without having to go insane.

yep that's true maybie more or less deppends on seeds

but i think it should be able to be spawned on the foot of an mob

I'd like if it

1. Deal some dmg over time, like poison trap

OR

2. Increase amount of dmg which target receive. There is can be some tweaks, like increase only shadow-source dmg, or only for glass cutter or add tag "shadow" to enemie, so glass cutter works longer ect.

Or some combination of this variants 

2 hours ago, DajeKotlyar said:

1. Deal some dmg over time, like poison trap

2. Increase amount of dmg which target receive. There is can be some tweaks, like increase only shadow-source dmg, or only for glass cutter or add tag "shadow" to enemie, so glass cutter works longer ect.

Really good options. I'm kinda dissapointed people are okay with it's current state. It's just fuel farm and nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

Cannot be casted on top of cage. 

Yes it can.

6 hours ago, edulopes said:

It'll probably be more time efficient to make a bunnymen kill pen for fuel once you get settled into the world.

I feel like shadow sneak is already in a good spot it farms fuel and can be used offensively and defensively but I do agree with chegg that the duration could stand to be increased.

22 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Yes it can.

You don't understand what I mean. Cage an enemy and try to put shadow sneak under it's feet. It won't work. You have to cast it nearby but it requires needless precision. Take a look at the "screenshot" above. The beefalos are where the cage was and I couldn't cast it closer so this is where I put it and it ended up not triggering. 

It's possble to combo these spells but it's hard if there are multiple targets and overall the spell seriously sucks and you can't change my mind. I just finished a run with bee queen and dragonfly both dead on day 6, I have stack of fuel and I haven't used shadow sneak once (and I never will). 

I've yet to meet a single scenario where you'd want to combo cage with sneak instead of duelists. 

One more note, sneak drains sanity while duelists don't. If you combo it with cage on low sanity then nightmares will show up and by the time you kill them spells wears off. 

9 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

You don't understand what I mean. Cage an enemy and try to put shadow sneak under it's feet. It won't work. You have to cast it nearby but it requires needless precision. Take a look at the "screenshot" above. The beefalos are where the cage was and I couldn't cast it closer so this is where I put it and it ended up not triggering. 

It's possble to combo these spells but it's hard if there are multiple targets and overall the spell seriously sucks and you can't change my mind. I just finished a run with bee queen and dragonfly both dead on day 6, I have stack of fuel and I haven't used shadow sneak once (and I never will). 

I've yet to meet a single scenario where you'd want to combo cage with sneak instead of duelists. 

One more note, sneak drains sanity while duelists don't. If you combo it with cage on low sanity then nightmares will show up and by the time you kill them spells wears off. 

The only time you should be comboing them is if your trying to turn mobs into their shadow variants otherwise I don't see why you would personally I haven't had a issue turning groups of enemies however. The way you use shadow sneak is by itself to stall hordes or to create breathing room for yourself to cast/heal/flee as you don't need precision with it since it's a trap waiting to be strung in those scenarios.

Archived