Aquariums

I recently played Stardew Valley for the first time in years and they added aquariums as furniture.  Easily the best piece of furniture in that game, by far, in my opinion.

I think aquariums could be implemented in Oxygen Not Included as a room, similar to Nature Reserves.

I was thinking requirements like this:

• Morale Bonus starts at +3 for minimum requirements and can go higher.
  • At least 4 aquatic critters.  (Pacu, Pokeshell or their variants) [Eggs don't count.]
  • Bonus of +1 for each different critter in the Aquarium. (An aquarium with all 3 variants of both Pacu and Pokeshell would give a +8 Morale bonus.)
  • At least one Aquarium sign.
  • No industrial machinery.
  • Room size: 32-120 tiles.

I was also thinking aquatic plants could also add to the Morale bonus as well.  Currently only Waterweed and Thimble Reed would qualify here, so a fully stocked Aquarium could give up to +10 Morale.

I think this would be balanced pretty well with other Morale boosters.  Making and maintaining a good Aquarium and making sure dupes visit it would not be easy.

8 hours ago, tuxii said:

I was also thinking aquatic plants could also add to the Morale bonus as well.  Currently only Waterweed and Thimble Reed would qualify here, so a fully stocked Aquarium could give up to +10 Morale.

Would love to see some aquatic plants that can be fully immersed. Something like kelp would be good because it could feed both dupes and critters.

I’d pay cash for aquarium decorations (plastic logs, plastic kelp, etc) if Klei wanted to go that route.

As to the general idea, an aquarium as a room is an interesting idea, but an aquarium that can be built into the back wall would be awesome.

On 10/31/2022 at 1:41 AM, tuxii said:

Currently only Waterweed and Thimble Reed would qualify here

Waterweed would be of limited use since it drowns in more than a tile of water. 

On 11/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, Sasza22 said:

Imagine if we had backwall aquariums so that dupes could walk in front of them. For balance dupes would be slowed when walking by beacause they get distracted.

So like a normal building? It could seamlessly join together like beach chairs and have monument-like screen to select the view of each aquarium segment

Archived