Can't place power plug in research rocket

I'm trying to build my first research rocket so I set up a CO2 engine with a solo cone and a battery module, but it won't let me place the power plug either on the floor next to the atmo suit dock or on the airflow tile above it either.  What gives?

20221026191037_1.jpg

45 minutes ago, tuxii said:

You can't put the plug on any liquid or gas port or the glass tiles, only steel walls.

So there are literally only two tiles where you can place it?  On the far left or right?  Damn...

11 hours ago, tuxii said:

Have you tried rotating it with the O key?

Heh, I didn't notice that it said you can do that.  I guess I stopped reading after it said that it must be placed *on the floor*.  Can you really put it on the ceiling instead?  I guess I'll have to try that tonight.

It used to be that the pee timer did not advance while wearing an atmo suit, so as long as they wear one, you don't need a toilet in the rocket.  Or did they change that?

Oh shoot, now I remember.  They changed it so that they pee themselves in the suit, get a debuff, and it all spills out when they take off the suit, didn't they?  Hrm... is it not possible to avoid this and stay in space for more than one day in the solo module?

Or you give them an outhouse, but no washing hands (Because radioactivity takes care), here's a CO2 colonization rocket I used recently.

This obviously doesn't solve psusi's problem, yet I never built a single-nose cone rocket for data banks, the bigger sized capsules fit on a CO2 rocket, too.

Screenshot_36.thumb.jpg.b29ef6f75a58719e597b2b2a9d091451.jpg

What I did here for power was to remove the outhouse if the battery needs charging and rebuild the outhouse in need. It's a bit of a building juggling.

It's also possible to e.g. remove the rocket control station while in orbit (or the bed, if stress isn't an issue)

On 10/28/2022 at 3:04 PM, sirloxley said:

(or the bed, if stress isn't an issue)

Hmm, I don't think the bed has any effect at all on stress, in fact I think the bed makes the capsule slightly more stressful. Sleeping gives -20% stress, but that's totally regardless of what they are sleeping on, they still get -20% stress on the floor. But sleeping on a bed makes them regenerate stamina at +1000% instead of +900% on the floor, that means when they use a bed they spend less time sleeping and less time enjoying -20% stress (assuming you don't give them an excess of bed time schedule).

All sleeping on the floor does is give them -1 athletics which doesn't matter much in a Spacefarer and makes them take a few seconds longer to finish recovering stamina. Beds are the first thing I omit from a Spacefarer because the benefits of having them are so small. In fact about the only reason I'd bother with beds at all in a spacefarer is just to make sure dupes sleep in a particular location which can sometimes matter a little, though they'll still be free to idle at the maximally dumb location when not sleeping.

Yea, the bed doesn't seem very important, but I figured that since I need a ladder anyhow I may as well make it a ladder bed.  I got some research done and now I have swapped the battery module for a rover and flew to the nearby radioactive planet, but I can't get it to let me click the deploy rover button.  Why not?

Check to make sure that after building the module itself, your dupes actually stocked the module with enough metal (400kg I believe) and built the rover within. They'll need to be able to get close to the module in order to do so. I forget that step all the time.

The rover can only be deployed when your rocket is in orbit and stopped (no destination). When you click deploy you'll need to find a flat landing spot three tiles wide. Sometimes the cursor likes to disappear on you when you do that.

I figured out what was going on after reloading and trying again, and this seems very silly.  The ship started on the launch platform on the home world.  Once it reached orbit of the destination world, its home was still there.  It immediately started trying to return home rather than stay in orbit, and that is why I could not deploy the rover.  I had to clear the home launch platform to make it stay in orbit, then I could deploy the rover.

You shouldn't have had to destroy the launch pad. Check to see if you had the round-trip set on the destination dialog, that could have caused that behavior. It's the button with two curved arrows on it, easy to have turned on by accident. 

image.png.ad7b7438f23c157dec1e2bacf4633071.png

On 11/14/2022 at 4:01 PM, meekay said:

You shouldn't have had to destroy the launch pad. Check to see if you had the round-trip set on the destination dialog, that could have caused that behavior. It's the button with two curved arrows on it, easy to have turned on by accident. 

image.png.ad7b7438f23c157dec1e2bacf4633071.png

Oh wow.  I didn't destroy the platform; just canceled the return trip in the rocket as soon as it got there.  I had no clue that button meant round trip.  It looks like some sort of refresh button.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Archived