Individual player settings.

I am highly surprised that no one has yet made this topic, perhaps it’s maybe because the new “Relaxed Mode” is too New in Beta for anyone to realize the sudden issues it causes.

I’ll skip straight to my point: Don’t Starve Together is a game that’s largely about playing TOGETHER, Klei even stated they did not want to do paid dlc expansions for DST so it would not separate their fanbase. However.. these new world settings do exactly that- Separating the fanbase from the skilled players who enjoy challenge, and the not so skilled players who want to play in “Relaxed Mode”

If your playing alone- GREAT there’s no problem there.. but when you get a few friends together with varying skill levels or playstyles it becomes “problematic” to say the very least.. How do you keep the game from being “Too Hard” on the Relaxed difficulty player? But at the same time “Too Easy” for the people who want more difficulty???

And more importantly than BOTH those questions- how do you allow someone who enjoys a challenge to play with their friends/children in Relaxed Mode without them being bored out of their mind?

Minecraft handles this issue best I think- Individual Player Settings!

Meaning I can set the game so I am playing by brutally Hardcore survival settings where I can starve to death, while my little sister can enable Peaceful Mode in the same world and so mobs, hunger etc behave differently per the players personal settings.

For DST “Relaxed Mode” currently makes it so the player is “Immune” to dying to things like Darkness, Freezing, Overheating, Starvation or taking less damage from enemy hits.

However a newer setting was added during this beta to allow the player to also take MORE damage to enemy hits.

But Alas.. these settings aren’t as Advanced as Minecraft where me and my little sister can enjoy the same game world TOGETHER but under our own individual player settings.

Breaking it down into the shortest TL:DR I can come up with What this would mean for DST is-

The player would have options to toggle things like how much damage they take, if they can starve to death from having no food, how slow/fast hunger drains, how slow or fast they freeze or overheat, if darkness can kill them, and how short or long they can be in darkness before it kills them. Alongside other personal settings like how many Shadow Monsters chase them when insane and how fast those shadow monsters can move. How much Sanity players lose per other players ghosts or if they lose Sanity at all.. 

Instead of these things being applied server wide to everyone in the game session- Basically DO WHAT MINECRAFT DID And let players of varying skill levels and ages play in and enjoy the same game session together by giving them their own individual player settings they can choose prior to loading into a world.

Wh... huh? Why?

What would be the point of selecting your character if you just turn easy mode on?

People don't just not play games with their friends because they're better than them. I play Apex with my friends and I get smoked, but I'm with my friends so I'm still enjoying being with them. This is one of those games where you can carry your friends pretty easily. Want an easy mode? Play Wigfrid.

1 hour ago, Starlogy said:

Wh... huh? Why?

What would be the point of selecting your character if you just turn easy mode on?

People don't just not play games with their friends because they're better than them. I play Apex with my friends and I get smoked, but I'm with my friends so I'm still enjoying being with them. This is one of those games where you can carry your friends pretty easily. Want an easy mode? Play Wigfrid.

The new Beta update adds in an Easy Mode, that’s literally what the next game update will do, And when my less skilled friends play- this is the mode I will likely be hosting for them, I want them to “Enjoy” their time with the game not be miserable with it.

But at the exact same time… I myself don’t want to be bored out of my mind, in Easy Mode, sure I can set the day lengths to short & nights to Long, I can make Winters last Forever- But on Easy Mode if Cold Weather & Darkness won’t kill you anymore: What is even the point??

I get to play with my friends and they get to enjoy the game, sure.. but will I enjoy it in Easy Mode with those friends?

2 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Didn't you say "your world, your rules" so people who have issue should leave?
I get your current point, but I'm confused and would love to know why the sudden change.

I always try to see both sides of any given situation: I’m literally a Gemini it’s in my astrology chart to question the good & the bad in well everything. And in this current situation: It can still be “my world, my rules..” By simply allowing the host to choose if players are allowed to have custom personal settings, or if it’s locked to host choice. Which is no different from choosing if players joining your world late into a season will spawn with seasonal start items or without.

On 10/10/2022 at 4:17 PM, Business dog said:

I'm pretty sure that's not how minecraft worlds work

I did not say Minecraft worlds, I said regular Minecraft- And yes that is how Minecraft works.. anyone can open up the options menu and apply their own personal settings to Minecraft, AKA my little sister loves to be in “Creative Mode” to build stuff to her hearts desires, meanwhile I can enable actual “Survival” and die to things/starve to death etc.. Minecraft is literally where this suggestion comes from.

I think they were confused because the example you presented used world difficulty and not game modes

On 10/10/2022 at 9:05 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Minecraft handles this issue best I think- Individual Player Settings!

Meaning I can set the game so I am playing by brutally Hardcore survival settings where I can starve to death, while my little sister can enable Peaceful Mode in the same world and so mobs, hunger etc behave differently per the players personal settings.

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But at the exact same time… I myself don’t want to be bored out of my mind

So don't put on easy mode. To be honest, I would be a little insulted if my friend was like "Oh hey, I'll make the world easy for you but I'm gonna be bored of it sooner or later".

Why play with your friend at that point if you're not there to play with them?

23 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I did not say Minecraft worlds, I said regular Minecraft- And yes that is how Minecraft works.. anyone can open up the options menu and apply their own personal settings to Minecraft, AKA my little sister loves to be in “Creative Mode” to build stuff to her hearts desires, meanwhile I can enable actual “Survival” and die to things/starve to death etc.. Minecraft is literally where this suggestion comes from.

Ohh so that's what you meant, I thought you meant enabling hardcore and peaceful mode on the same world, which is not possible.

28 minutes ago, Business dog said:

Ohh so that's what you meant, I thought you meant enabling hardcore and peaceful mode on the same world, which is not possible.

No.. I literally meant exactly what I said. There is a REASON why Minecraft is the best selling game of all time even beating out the over hyped overly popular Grand Theft Auto Franchise, and that is Because Minecraft allows players of all skill levels and of all ages to play the same game together (comfortably) without it being too easy or too hard on whoever you are playing with.

E1985CDA-98AF-4E31-849A-148731BAE708.gif.0ad60fa0ac7291f68ae87bbd2f013122.gif

And this is something I would really love to see KLEI attempt to take a crack at with world settings.

Sure it sounds complex maybe even not worth the time or effort put into it- but how hard can it be to make one player immune to freezing, on “Relaxed Mode” and let another choose to take 33% extra Damage while freezing? 

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No.. I literally meant exactly what I said. There is a REASON why Minecraft is the best selling game of all time even beating out the over hyped overly popular Grand Theft Auto Franchise, and that is Because Minecraft allows players of all skill levels and of all ages to play the same game together (comfortably) without it being too easy or too hard on whoever you are playing with.

E1985CDA-98AF-4E31-849A-148731BAE708.gif.0ad60fa0ac7291f68ae87bbd2f013122.gif

And this is something I would really love to see KLEI attempt to take a crack at with world settings.

Sure it sounds complex maybe even not worth the time or effort put into it- but how hard can it be to make one player immune to freezing, on “Relaxed Mode” and let another choose to take 33% extra Damage while freezing? 

If you set the difficulty to peaceful then it's peaceful in the whole world, multiple players can change the difficulty, but the difficulty will change for all other players as well. That's the reason only world operators can change the game difficulty, so that random people can't change the whole world for other players.

Archived