Niobium Volcano Taming: NO Robo-Miner, NO no-contact Pump

The key idea is using communicating vessels:

image.thumb.png.e74698298013fa17f649587fa40c1453.png

like it shows, liquid niobium column creates a nature height difference, and speed of each column's height increasing, is 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 of main pool, just work like pipes.

If keeps liquid niobium flowing slow enough, it's possible to avoid blocking.

image.thumb.png.3c6a2f4f63b220aabbbdef089683afc4.png

So here's the main part of the tamer. In this example I use just 2 columns and it's enough. As long as liquid height not pass 1 block(which is not possible), liquid underneath will slow enough to avoid blocking.

image.thumb.png.e24b1a5a4b8f093d4b25e5569b11a290.png

Finally, it will stop flowing like this. And you can collect those niobium and cool them down by whichever way you like.

Sorry for my pool English :P I'm trying hard to explain it...

But it is effective. You can split the flow many times using airflow tiles and you can achieve the same result, niobium becomes debris and does not form a full tile.

However, worldgen always puts niobium volcanoes at the very bottom of the map for me. So a contraption like this would never fit. :wilson_worried:

9 hours ago, degr said:

how many kg of liquid niobium you need to form one "full" tile?

I can imagine, more then 2000kg. In that case your build require around 40tons of niobium? I can't call it "effective".

3800kg. Well, it's not that "effective"...but I think the most effective way is not taming it at all, tungsten volcano > thermium > niobium is enough for daily using. I think it's just an end game goal, taking advantage of different game mechanics. I don't like no-contact pump because it feels a bit like cheat---I'm sure Klei doesn't want you to pump such hot liquid like niobium and magma.

40 minutes ago, 6Havok9 said:

But it is effective. You can split the flow many times using airflow tiles and you can achieve the same result, niobium becomes debris and does not form a full tile.

However, worldgen always puts niobium volcanoes at the very bottom of the map for me. So a contraption like this would never fit. :wilson_worried:

How to split the flow many times using airflow? Niobium stop flowing below 80kg, and become full tile upon 24kg, I can't found another way to split it firmly. Worldgen, is a problem though...it needs 12 tiles height, some luck is needed to construct it.

what about steam turbines + autosweepers? Like, one vacuum chamber with volcano, niobium fall down on steel plate, which is connected with another chamber full of steam. Niobium transforms into debris in the moment it touch steel plate, autosweeper from steam chamber take it and put on conveyor rails. Pretty sure 3 turbine is enough. (will post picture later)

6 minutes ago, degr said:

what about steam turbines + autosweepers? Like, one vacuum chamber with volcano, niobium fall down on steel plate, which is connected with another chamber full of steam. Niobium transforms into debris in the moment it touch steel plate, autosweeper from steem chamber take it and put on conveyor rails. Pretty sure 3 turbine is enough.

I remember someone making something like this but not sure if it work with niobium
image.png.894fce58ae9335e5b1eab584e782f0bb.png

37 minutes ago, degr said:

what about steam turbines + autosweepers? Like, one vacuum chamber with volcano, niobium fall down on steel plate, which is connected with another chamber full of steam. Niobium transforms into debris in the moment it touch steel plate, autosweeper from steam chamber take it and put on conveyor rails. Pretty sure 3 turbine is enough. (will post picture later)

Niobium won't fall down, which exactly makes taming niobium volcano far more difficult than others. Instead of becomeing debris and fall down, they will become tiles then ruin your tamer.

30 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

I remember someone making something like this but not sure if it work with niobium
image.png.894fce58ae9335e5b1eab584e782f0bb.png

It won't work either. Mesh tile won't stop niobium become tiles...as far as I try.

3 hours ago, joodo said:

but I think the most effective way is not taming it at all, tungsten volcano > thermium > niobium is enough for daily using.

No, it's not enough. Niobium volcano produces 5x amount of material compared to other volcanoes, it means you can shut down copper/iron/gold production completely, including all delivery infrastructure.

10 hours ago, joodo said:

Snip

It was based on something by Wachunga. There was a post by nakomaru where they tinkered with niobium. About a year ago iirc?

Still can't beat the strongest niobium tamer.. pitcher pump + bottle emptier :wilson_laugh:

On 9/8/2022 at 9:01 AM, joodo said:

Niobium won't fall down, which exactly makes taming niobium volcano far more difficult than others. Instead of becomeing debris and fall down, they will become tiles then ruin your tamer.

It won't work either. Mesh tile won't stop niobium become tiles...as far as I try.

Wait, molten niobium will stack like visco gel? If so that makes it many more times tougher to tame than I thought.

Niobium tamer with Sweepy.

Little guy is pretty useful here.

No gameplay mods, no exploits or dodgy mechanics.

This is a Sandbox build, therefore I did use insulation. Should also work with ceramic.

3 liquid pumps are placed here for a simple reason. The autosweeper needs to take everything out in one go.

Automation under the tamer controls cooling:

• Timer set to 30s red - cooling engaged, 240s green - cooling disengaged and connected to NOR gate.
  • Pressure sensors connected to the memory gate allow detection of Sweepy's movement.
    • If Sweepy exits the room (moving to the left) it effectively resets the memory gate - cooling allowed (red signal).
    • If Sweepy enters the room (moving from left to right) it sets the memory gate output to 1 - cooling disallowed.
  • Cooling is only initiated if at the same time both signals are red.
  • Filter and buffer gate are set to 5s.

Design survived initial eruption and the following one. Nothing solidified.

Solidification may occur initially (first eruption) on tungsten pressure plates (when Sweepy crosses them for the first time and they are still cool). Dupes have easy access to the tamer so that they can clean the mess (tested as well). Once the plates heat up everything should work fine. It is important however that pressure plates do not lose heat.

The tamed volcano outputs 22.5 t of liquid Niobium. Sweepy can mop it easily between eruptions with several cycles left for it to wander around. The aquatuner cannot however keep up and the pool temperature before each eruption raises by several degrees.

The starting temperature for the pool in my case was around -10C. To make sure Niobium is nice and cool one can either lower the starting temperature (starting temp - supercoolant pool temp. at the beginning of the activity cycle) or expand the cooling loop by adding one more steam turbine and an additional aquatuner.

There are exactly 10 tiles of unused space between the volcano chamber and the steam room sot 2 more steam turbines can be incorporated into this build without much effort.

Feel free to test and optimise the build.

The bare minimum for it is ceramic (for walls), tungsten - automation, supercoolant - for the cooling loop and the pool (easy to get in large quantities once you get to the bottom of the ocean), petroleum, crude oil or something else with high vaporisation temp. to cool sweepy's dock, stell for the aquatuner. I used aluminum for radiant pipes and ceramic for insulated ones.

You can make the pool smaller by moving access ladder one tile to the left and the outer wall 2 tiles to the left.

I am sure that a lot of other optimisations can be done here. Have fun.

ONI-Niobium Tamer.jpg

ONI-Niobium-Tamer-automation.jpg

ONI-Niobium-Tamer-piping.jpg

ONI-Niobium-Tamer-power.jpg

15 hours ago, _V1_ said:

Niobium tamer with Sweepy.

Cool concept. I tried whipping up my own, using some mild exploits: beads to cool the sweeper and dock (really, dripping liquid on something should cool it), and accumulating the niobium on top of the mesh tiles so that the prompt cooling required for solidifying the niobium is minimized and it can be fed at leisure into the steam chamber to lose the rest of the heat, down to a desired level.1690132746_Screenshotfrom2022-09-2215-11-48.thumb.png.fdca9e1a3a6d90c672c1080756fb7912.png

2 hours ago, Jann5s said:

Who operates the pitcher pump? The auto sweeper does that? Since when?

So apparently Auto-sweepers can work with bottles of liquid refined metal only (anything you can make radiant liquid pipes out of) including pulling them out of a Pitcher Pump, bottles of any other substance cannot be swept.

Since when, I do not know.

It seems pretty arbitrary and is probably a mis-classification bug. 

12 hours ago, blakemw said:

It seems pretty arbitrary and is probably a mis-classification bug. 

2 hours ago, Jann5s said:

but I agree this feels like it will be fixed at some point.

Why are you two agree on removing this "feature"... it cause no harm and very helpful for players. If everythings that look arbitrary would be considered as bug and need removed to make this as real as possible, this wouldnt be a game anymore. Let people have fun...

What make me believe this is a feature and not a bug is sweeper actually take time to fill up bottle instead of instant draw out liquid. This feel more real than contactless pump.

Archived