Great Hall + Kitchen + walk-in freezer

20220827194619_1.thumb.jpg.daa16707c315c3606b748885978fe360.jpg

I wanted to share a design for a great hall and kitchen with a walk-in freezer that I find myself building a lot because it is really practical.

The walk-in freezer that is kept below -18° C such that food will keep forever and won't spoil. The advantage of making a "big" freezer, instead of a small one is that allows me to put some conveyor meters inside that send metered amounts of food to other asteroids (using the launcher). Because the conveyor meters are inside the freezer, the food that is waiting to be sent will be not spoil. It's a real, set-and-forget type of solution.

Because walk-in fridges are kinda large, they can be awkward in a base. However, I've found that by sloping one side of the fridge, I can put some 1 kg fridges in my great hall such that dupes don't have to walk to get a snack. It's really efficient.

The freezer will automatically fill with CO2 from the dupes breathing, so no worries there. Also, CO2 is a terrible heat conductor so there is very little heat exchange between the cooking area and the freezer.

20220827194625_1.thumb.jpg.edad6dbd0b65d0fa1f7913d9c0d35ffb.jpgx

The autosweeper right above the freezer entrance is placed such that it can only grab cooking ingredients from one tile in the freezer. Cooked food is dropped to the tile next to it for storage. The internal autosweepers are for loading food to be sent (left) or for loading into the fridges in the great hall (right).

20220827194643_1.thumb.jpg.1d99106f83df2e53df61b8eec80f5bde.jpg

The conveyor meters are on a very simple automation that trips once a day. The filter is set to 0.1 s, together with the XOR it makes a nice short pulse even if the cycle sensor pulse is quite long (not my design). I have three conveyor meters here to allow for three different amounts of food to be sent.

One downside is that the conveyor loader holds 1000 kg, so typically a lot of calories will be "inaccessible" by the other dupes. I tend to send just one food recipe to allow local dupes to eat the other recipes. Another solution is to put a fridge with the same food type next to the loader with higher priority, such that some food will always be available.

4 hours ago, YOLO KNIGHT said:

How fast is the delivery for the 1kg fridges? It always seemed like it would be a bit of a bottleneck at lunchtime

Ah yes, this could be an issue. I never have the issue because I put all my dupes on shifted schedules in groups of 3-4. But in that case why not just put a bit more in the fridge, like 5kg. If you have many dupes food has no time to spoil. Also, dupes can go in the freezer and grab food if the fridges

This is very cleaver. However I wonder is that left auto sweeper will deliver food though the diagonals to the fridge then To be eaten?

Currently I had combination of my -25c farm and food storage together. Although I'm using ration box to store my things. Cuz the normale fridge don't work well in the area. I definitely would adapt ur design to my system 

I have a similar thing, but I don't use fridges in the great hall, because there's the oxygen and when the food thaws in them the lower tier food spoils pretty fast since the dupes preferably take out the higher tiers. Fridges with a low content limit don't seem to help much either in that regard. When there's a glut of fresh beans to make spicy tofu there always was some spoiled surf'n'turf as a result.

So instead I just store the frozen food in a tiny vacuum chamber right next to the dining hall, and they fetch their meals from there. Nothing ever spoils because in a vacuum it stays frozen forever and there's no oxygen to spoil it. And this way it uses no electricity either!

Also the weight plate there is better suited for automation than the fridge, i.e. for checking whether food is running low and the grill needs to be turned on. It's useless to know when the fridge is completely full, I need to know when it's almost empty instead!

Screenshot_20220831_220026r.jpg

Share with u guys my smart kitch. first 200 cycle was run on ethnal for cooling under -25, and nosh bean & wheat farm combined to share the same liquid cooler.

raw food is manually deliverd in to the main storage, and 2 autosweeper handle the processing delivery and also the 7kg frige, the the top sweeper will collect cocked food and drop in to the frige again.

20220906175622_1.thumb.jpg.a1e4aa60b85058075c0bafbd7d2afeed.jpg20220906175916_1.thumb.jpg.28c40775bf60d4bb26531f0791515e81.jpg

On 9/7/2022 at 4:36 PM, Jann5s said:

It will be eaten by the next dupe, I know, they don't mind eating half eaten food from the floor.

But that tends not to happen until the next day leaving the food to rot on the floor all day.

Archived