I'm essentially a new player, so for you trite questions, but not for me.  I have seen different streamers sometimes put two doors one above the other in a four-cell aisle, the question is, why is this done?

A screenshot would help, but for now I suspect you might be looking at a time saving solution. Pneumatic doors let gases through and are a single building less to queue up so they simply avoid building a mesh tile or two.

The aesthetics of the practice may be questionable for some.

I tried it out for some time and found out it added pathing for dupes to go through. So I abandoned that practice. Even if just locking the door would solve it. (Getting back to the look & feel I mentioned above.)

I'm currently trimming all redundant paths in the map to squeeze any extra performance out of the game.

Oh, and welcome to the forum btw.

It's half the cost and considerably faster to build 1 Pneumatic Door than 2 Mesh Tiles. Pneumatic Doors also have no decor penalty, unlike Mesh/Airflow which have a small penalty (it is unlikely to matter). In some cases stacked pneumatic doors can be useful as "staircases", this is most likely to be seen in rocket interiors where every tile counts.
917097645_Screenshotfrom2022-06-1723-56-06.thumb.png.71579b83f7b1417071a7fef14c2d4543.png

In this rocket interior stacked doors are used in place of ladders.

So if you don't need a "floor", then Pneumatic Door is basically strictly better than Mesh/Airflow, cheaper, faster, prettier (according to dupes), allows duplicant movement if unlocked.

A separate question is whether you "need" to use air-permeable tiles, solid tiles are cheaper and give a decor bonus. But it helps to allow gases to flow freely and can be particularly useful in the early game where you can't afford to pump in lots of oxygen.

2 hours ago, JRup said:

A screenshot would help, but for now I suspect you might be looking at a time saving solution. Pneumatic doors let gases through and are a single building less to queue up so they simply avoid building a mesh tile or two.

The aesthetics of the practice may be questionable for some.

I tried it out for some time and found out it added pathing for dupes to go through. So I abandoned that practice. Even if just locking the door would solve it. (Getting back to the look & feel I mentioned above.)

I'm currently trimming all redundant paths in the map to squeeze any extra performance out of the game.

Oh, and welcome to the forum btw.

I attached screenshots, just such moments that I did not understand.  Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum :)

518D87F9-BF91-485E-B35C-28ECFDE2F11B.jpeg

BB1DAA86-5271-4EC2-8469-DF7E1A3FB7A2.jpeg

If you build 1 door and 2 tile, hydrogen will sit in the top of your room. So, you need to build door, normal tile and airflow tile, what is 200 metal ore and 200 raw material. Otherwise you may build 2 doors, which cost totally 200 metal ore. Also, airflow tile require research, while door available from beginning.

Yeah, it mostly a lazy thing, I do it too, but just because it allows me to click twice and be done.

After reading Jrup's response I may be tempted to stop it, just to save a few pathing CPU cycles

I have found that it's handy for allowing gas flow on a spot that would otherwise have space exposure. A door will block the background but an airflow tile will vent to space. (I tend to build towers that reach above the surface.)

On 7/30/2022 at 10:29 PM, Jann5s said:

Yeah, it mostly a lazy thing, I do it too, but just because it allows me to click twice and be done.

After reading Jrup's response I may be tempted to stop it, just to save a few pathing CPU cycles

I'm curious, would disabling door permissions help? Or does not allowing dupes to travel either way still cause them to attempt to pathfind through them?

On 7/30/2022 at 3:29 PM, Jann5s said:

1 hour ago, I agree said:

I'm curious, would disabling door permissions help? Or does not allowing dupes to travel either way still cause them to attempt to pathfind through them?

Locking the door is what helps. Using only door permissions should still check paths.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:09 AM, JRup said:

Rather than lock the doors, I just disable both directions of movement through the door.  This solves the problem while avoiding queuing a task for the dupes.  Additionally, if there's an emergency and the door needs to be used, you just enable travel through the door and you don't have to wait for it to get unlocked first.

On 7/31/2022 at 6:44 PM, JRup said:

Locking the door is what helps. Using only door permissions should still check paths.

That hasn't been my experience.  Once door permissions are set, the path is only checked once.   I suppose I could design a map to test it... My observations without explicitly testing, however, show about the same performance improvement for disabling door permissions vs locking the door.

On 7/29/2022 at 2:46 AM, Rhodas said:

BB1DAA86-5271-4EC2-8469-DF7E1A3FB7A2.jpeg

I use doors like this in areas where there is a lot of gas flow involving multiple gasses.  For example, if I have an oxyfern farm near the bottom of my base, there is a lot of CO2 and O2 swapping tiles.  With a door like the one to the right of the phones, CO2 can build up and create large pockets of O2 that might pop eardrums.  The door on the left (circled) solves the problem.  Or you could build a door with two mesh or airflow tiles above it -- but one door is faster than two tiles and doesn't require any research to have been completed yet.

Archived