Banana Shake and Banana Pop

Some argue that banana shakes are in every way worse than banana pops as you can gain 66 sanity and 40 health if you make banana pops with two bananas while only 33 sanity and 8 health for a banana shake. So other than some extra minimal fillers that making two banana pops require, is there really no way that banana shakes are not comparable to banana pops? Are banana shakes a waste of ingredients?

Banana Shakes can be made in masses via Horticulture Books just to restore Wickerbottom's massive brain (basically for free).

Spoiler

1168478660_Braintierchar.thumb.jpg.2735dda05a367027206841f8bb9ec33e.jpg

They can also be made when Ice isn't available unlike Banana Pops and provide slightly more Hunger if you're not playing Wendy (as it's her Favorite Food).

32 minutes ago, Nicolas Liu said:

Some argue that banana shakes are in every way worse than banana pops as you can gain 66 sanity and 40 health if you make banana pops with two bananas while only 33 sanity and 8 health for a banana shake. So other than some extra minimal fillers that making two banana pops require, is there really no way that banana shakes are not comparable to banana pops? Are banana shakes a waste of ingredients?

thats the cost of using twigs instead of ice i guess

Banana shakes are far superior to banana pops. This comparison seems to only consider the value of the banana as an ingredient, in which case, yes, you do squeeze less sanity per banana out of the shake recipe. However, to me, ice is a less convenient resource to accumulate than bananas. I have banana bushes all over my base ready to harvest if I ever need any, but I also have multiple stacks of bananas sitting in bundle wrap because of a small splumonkey farm I built with some catapults. Banana shakes are also a no-brainer recipe if I'm in the ruins, since I'm not about to carry ice all the way from the surface.  

All that aside, banana pops have spoilage rate of 3 days vs banana shake's 15 days. Pretty huge considering that sanity foods become essentially useless as soon as they become stale.

36 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Banana shakes are far superior to banana pops. This comparison seems to only consider the value of the banana as an ingredient, in which case, yes, you do squeeze less sanity per banana out of the shake recipe. However, to me, ice is a less convenient resource to accumulate than bananas. I have banana bushes all over my base ready to harvest if I ever need any, but I also have multiple stacks of bananas sitting in bundle wrap because of a small splumonkey farm I built with some catapults. Banana shakes are also a no-brainer recipe if I'm in the ruins, since I'm not about to carry ice all the way from the surface.  

All that aside, banana pops have spoilage rate of 3 days vs banana shake's 15 days. Pretty huge considering that sanity foods become essentially useless as soon as they become stale.

Oh thanks really well said. Moon quay island provides banana bushes, which makes bananas highly available. And banana bushes grow all year round and can be transplanted just next to the base. Ice glaciers, however, cannot be transplanted and thus ice does not come in handy compared to bananas.

Archived