Wickerbottom's Mana Bar - Wickerbottom is a cohesive character whom I enjoy to play

Wickerbottom is a character I didn't play very much before the rework. Her perks did not interest me very much, and I found her personally unappealing aesthetically, so she fell to the role of only ever being used for the sake of a few krampus sacks or a few rounds of silviculture.

After the rework, her and her new books are very very interesting to me and give me gameplay that I really enjoy! A comparison that was made here on the forums that I particularly enjoy is the likening of wickerbottom's sanity to a sort of mana stat. She has incredibly powerful spells that give her a boost in performance in almost every facet of the day-to-day (i've found an incredible appreciation for On Tentacles as a general offensive spell & Tempering Temperatures as a potent temperature controlling device for both the hot and the cold, or Rainy Day Rituals for... existing ever during spring, or spring/winter in the caves) but in order to use them, she must either put a lot of resources/time into things to restore her sanity, or consistently be put into the risky low-sanity barrage of shadow attacks that such a thing affords. In practice, this ends up playing to a character that has powerful tools in her hands, but heavy resource drain to keep safe while using them, or risky play if you choose to skip out on the resources. I, quite frankly, think this is adds up to a very interesting and creative character in play, and I can't wait for the next skin she gets.

Additionally, I really enjoy that the bookcase acts as an alchemy engine. Something of an incompatibility with other characters that tended to happen with wickerbottom is that since she has tier 1 science (which leads to a breezy early game, especially with everything encyclopedia), she can and will skip out on really even making an alchemy engine, meaning that other players are a bit out of luck if they choose to base alongside a wickerbottom, unless they make their own alch. The bookcase giving science means that this incompatibility is erased. Other than that, I really hope that woodie gets some sort of way to deal with the lunar grimoire, as the poor guy is at the mercy of a wickerbottom at the moment.

Finally, I really hope that the book case doesn't lose its ability to repair books, I think its a very important part of wickerbottom's gameplay that cuts out a lot of what would be sad gameplay, and gives wurt much much more room to use her cute little interaction of reading the books to manipulate her sanity.

Frankly I don't know how will I deal with it yet, but the solution they found to punish Wickerbottom players from spamming book usage at 0 sanity was very clever.
It would have been easier thematically, to just make her say a quote that she can't with a headache or something like that. But for those of us used to the old wicker it would have felt quite restrictive and annoying.

So now to prevent all that, they still allow it, but "do it at your own risk, there will be consequences" sort of thing. Quite smart if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Frankly I don't know how will I deal with it yet, but the solution they found to punish Wickerbottom players from spamming book usage at 0 sanity was very clever.

Right? I like how teammates can directly take advantage of most of her new perks, but also help her with her new downside. Lore wise and gameplay wise it makes a lot of sense.

45 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

even though you can be on lunar island and use as many books as you have with no cost

Actually you don't even need to go that far her expanded horticulture gives the best pay out below giant crops with the crop + 2 seeds meaning you can just grow potatoes and tomatoes to make fancy spiral tubers for 15 sanity a pop to get paid back far more than you invested also when winter comes you can make vegetable stinger instead if you want for 33 sanity back though I guess if you want to go overkill you could make a farm on the lunar island so that you can keep 100% of the profits for later casting.

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

you can just grow potatoes and tomatoes to make fancy spiral tubers for 15 sanity a pop to get paid back far more than you invested

Or potato and garlic for creamy potato purée. Read 2 times > get 10 garlic and 20 potatoes > 10 purée' > 330 sanity. 

How about another trick. On the full moon, Celestial Fissures have aura 100 lunacy (sanity) per minute. Make a mini base on the lunar island near fissures > Read Lunar Grimoire > When you do stuff in the base, the sanity will be back to normal and gestalts won't even be able to put you to sleep. 

And people say that 50 sanity is somehow a high cost that justifies using The Lunar Grimoire. 

3 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

Or potato and garlic for creamy potato purée. Read 2 times > get 10 garlic and 20 potatoes > 10 purée' > 330 sanity. 

How about another trick. On the full moon, Celestial Fissures have aura 100 lunacy (sanity) per minute. Make a mini base on the lunar island near fissures > Read Lunar Grimoire > When you do stuff in the base, the sanity will be back to normal and gestalts won't even be able to put you to sleep. 

And people say that 50 sanity is somehow a high cost that justifies using The Lunar Grimoire. 

Definitely a good one though I'm thinking tuber might still be the go to since it's 225 sanity back off one reading of the book. 

Wormwood has been my main for a long long time now, one thing I love about him is his ability to manipulate his sanity (the other being no health effects from food). I'm actually interested in playing Wickerbottom considering you can force spawn Shadow Creatures now. I love when downsides can turn into upsides. It is very fun and when players discover it for the first time themselves they (or at least me when I figured out Wormwood) feel like geniuses. Such a wonderful feeling and really makes the game elevated and fun. I want every character to have some kind of feature like it. However that is my personal preference. Just don't change anything about wormwood and we're cool Klei. (At least don't remove anything the RWYS update was basically a character refresh for the tree friend! <3)

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

hey still allow it, but "do it at your own risk, there will be consequences" sort of thing

In that case this mechanic should be tied to books, not wickerbottom (currently maxwell can read books at 0 sanity and extra shadows do not appear - why would another character be better at using wickerbottom's books?)

7 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

In that case this mechanic should be tied to books, not wickerbottom (currently maxwell can read books at 0 sanity and extra shadows do not appear - why would another character be better at using wickerbottom's books?)

Well maxwell is actually more adept at nightmare stuff and the small lore bits of the loading screens say that the throne changed him in ways we don’t know fully yet. 
So maybe he knows how to prevent that “side effect” or his mind is just resistant like that, we just don’t know yet. Also his rework is probably due soon, we may learn more about him then (along with new perks and maybe cons)

3 hours ago, Ohan said:

@maxwell_winters @Mysterious box

heres another complete BONKERS life hack :-o: 1 easy trick (klei devs hate him!!) as wormwood u can kill a spider and make a healing salve with its gland and use it to heal 20 hp!!!!!!! Downside completely negated?!?!?! Free living looogs????68F4C0CD-C19C-48B8-A9B6-7D02FF21558F.jpeg.76bd04db8635a579e99809ecb671a451.jpeg

You know at first I thought you were being sarcastic but I know our dear Ohan would never do that so you must legitimately be concerned about this completely overlooked exploit so I feel it is our duty to get Kiel to remove Wormwood's ability to heal with medicine as plants are often turned into medicine so clearly he should be against it only healing with poop or the souls of the innocent.

image.jpeg.47f0331311021ae823ddcd3cf6d623be.jpeg

Archived