• More expensive
    • Weaker
  5. 5. Apicultural notes

• Better
    • Cheaper
    • Fine as is
    • More expensice
    • Weaker

These books are perfect as they are now (the ones in this post)

And make zero sense for me to make the lunar grimoire more expensive, since it is not free (2 papyrus and 2 moon rocks, only 3 uses and -50 sanity), for me, there is no point to make it harder to craft, would be better to remove it entirely if the community dont like it, instead of just making it unusable anyway (because you can activate the moon storm event and get the smae effect for free)

More books, more opinions

Lux Aterna & Redux

Has some use, but I'm asking myself "Why wouldn't I just bring a lantern instead?", well, it has ONE use, it acts as a cave light, so that means plants grow under it... Other then that it doesn't last long, while redux lasts longer, but still not too long. Also both versions have the same size light, so there isn't a reason to make Redux when the original is just fine.

The Everything Encyclopedia

Great book with a not so obvious effect. No, it doesn't give you all recipes and that's it, instead it lowers all science and magic tiers down three tiers and the effect lasts for one craft. Yes, this does mean with the materials and a science machine beside you, you can craft a dark sword and KEEP that recipe. Also this book is AoE, so that's nice as well. Most solid book of the new books, I'd add a SFX to recipes/crafting tab when under this effect so it's obvious you are effected by this.

Practical Rain Rituals

One of two controversial books added, this one makes the world to rain OR stop any rain happening. This does work in summer, so that's grand, BUT using this in autumn and winter is considered a bad move. Overrall pretty useful, pretty trolly.

Lunar Grimoire

The other controversial book added, this one makes the night of the current day a full moon. Obviously provides global light for that night but that's not the main use, the less obvious benefits of a full moon are the effects that happen during a full moon, like suspicous statues shaking, pigs turning into werepigs, glommer's flower blooming IF not in the world or currently dead and many other small notable effects.

However, unlike the rain book that's toggles their effect, this book does not, meaning if a wicker keeps constantly altering the moon phase, you won't be able to start the shadow pieces fight. This book other issues are two major ones, crafting cost and Woodie.

This book costs two papers like every other book, and two moon rocks, TWO moon rocks is incredibly easy to acquire and is very likely to happen on day one thanks to meteor field biomes containing some. Fighting werepigs day 1 is quite harsh for an average player, and finding glommer day 1 might not happen right away either, though in a multiplayer setting is more likely to be found. Now being a Woodie in this setting on day 1 is more then harsh, since ending a transformation puts you at 0 hunger, having this happen every day will surely lead to a Woodie's death.

Overrall, strong book with a lot of potential for good and evil, with a crafting cost way to easy to achieve, maybe moon glass should be introduced?

Wew typing and reading all that tuckered me out, oh we have one book left...

Apicultural notes

Behold, Mindswarm! Oh right, wrong game.

Summons 3 PERNAMENT grumble bee followers, very solid, cheese Crab king easily, cheese Bee Que- Oh wait, Bee Queen recruits all grumble bees to her side... Yeah I wouldn't change anything else with this book, except maybe force wicker to read the bee movi- *Smack*

50 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

That's still absurdly cheap I'd make it require a iridescent gem as others have said.

That’s boring though.. I want to actually interact with more of the newer game content Klei’s added into the game over the years.. and the best way to do that is by being forced to visit the areas they add to the game.

(Aka if Warlys special dishes now required him to use salt from salt formations, or Molebat nose etc..)

For the moon book in particular is make it require Moon Rock, Moon Glass, Lunar Mothwing from pearls, and a Living Crustashine.

This means I have to wait in a meteor field to get moon rock, go to Lunar Island for Glass, go to pearls island for Moth, and visit Moon Quay for Crustashine.

It forces the player to actually do something and interact with the content Klei’s added over the years.

I should also state the obvious- it requires more EFFORT and Exploring the game world gathering various wacky ingredients to build a feast table with every screwy as heck WinterFeast recipe then it does to literally conjur the powers of Gods..

Klei you got something off somewhere.

(BtW I LOVE WF because they usually add new feast dish recipes with more weird ingredients from all over the constant.)

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

That’s boring though.. I want to actually interact with more of the newer game content Klei’s added into the game over the years.. and the best way to do that is by being forced to visit the areas they add to the game.

You could visit the archives to get the gem which is still a pretty new area but personally I was originally going to say you should be forced to get distilled knowledge from the archives to learn the recipe because Wickerbottom's quote from the book directly says she learned how to make this book from the archives which is weird since you never have to visit the archives in any way to learn this.

Wickerbottom: "Investigating the ancient archives proved to be quite educational."

That being said I didn't think anyone would go for this sadly.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

It forces the player to actually do something and interact with the content Klei’s added over the years.

I should also state the obvious- it requires more EFFORT and Exploring the game world gathering various wacky ingredients to build a feast table with every screwy as heck WinterFeast recipe then it does to literally conjur the powers of Gods..

Klei you got something off somewhere.

(BtW I LOVE WF because they usually add new feast dish recipes with more weird ingredients from all over the constant.)

The reality of the situation is player abilities are being designed to be as accessible as possible to newer players I'm willing to bet in the current design space Walter's cursed rounds wouldn't have costed thulecite or needed the station to craft.

On a different note I feel like a interesting idea for Woodie would be after gaining distilled knowledge he'd be able to resist full moons staying in human form for massive sanity drains and if he's in were forms during the full moon he could shift between were forms freely like in his story.

6 hours ago, dois raios said:

These books are perfect as they are now (the ones in this post)

And make zero sense for me to make the lunar grimoire more expensive, since it is not free (2 papyrus and 2 moon rocks, only 3 uses and -50 sanity), for me, there is no point to make it harder to craft, would be better to remove it entirely if the community dont like it, instead of just making it unusable anyway (because you can activate the moon storm event and get the smae effect for free)

2 moonrocks is literally free though

Although I share the idea that the lunar grimoire is too cheap, I feel that the price of an iridescent gem is a bit expensive, I prefer the idea of making the recipe be created with resources from different lunar locations.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:29 AM, Mysterious box said:

That's still absurdly cheap I'd make it require a iridescent gem as others have said.

you have to go to lunar island or wait around in the grotto for an earthquake, it seems fairly reasonable.... an iridescent gem would be the most EXPENSIVE recipe exclusive to a player that exists in the entire game... what is the point of buffing Wickerbottom if one of the recipes is locked behind such a steep ingredient?... Gotta get a yellow gem, which by itself is difficult to get, needing to search chests in the ruins or kill dragonfly... and RARELY found in a tumble weed... I've found one there ONCE in all the worlds I've had. THEN you also need nightmare fuel and living logs to make the starcaller staff...THEN you have to find the moonstone and fight off or cheese a huge wave of hounds and werepigs!!! AND EVEN AFTER ALL THAT, YOU STILL NEED A DECONSTRUCTION STAFF, which is more nightmare fuel, living logs and ANOTHER rare gem, this one being the green one.... SO, Wickerbottom needs to essentially kill dragonfly, go to the ruins and then do the moonstone for the mooncaller staff to get her book for summoning the full moon? At that point....you already have a whole mooncaller staff...what do you need to summon the full moon for at that point anyways? That would take such an insane amount of time to complete, that it won't happen on public servers, EVER.... and the only other option is to steal it from the archives...making this a terrible idea, taking much longer to activate them with additional stones missing depending on how many people want to play Wickerbottom!! In theory, using iridescent gems is very cool, and aesthetically I like it, as they are charged by moonbeams and created on the full moon. However:

-None of Wendy's recipes require anything harder to get than living logs

-None of Wanda items require killing a boss in order to get, and the most difficult items to get are thulecite fragments which require a trip to ruins only, or to kill mactusk locked behind waiting until the first winter

-None of Wurt's recipes are this difficult, only requiring a trip to sea for kelp, and then pig skin, and beefalo wool outside of the swamp

-None of Wx-78's recipes are this difficult either, the most expensive one requiring them to defeat bee queen, and not being a rare resource for other players to use, like yellow and iridescent gems.

-None of Walter's recipes require anything harder to obtain than thulecite/ purple gems

-The most expensive Wolfgang recipe uses thulecite and purple gems

These are the most expensive character exclusive items in the game, and requiring Wickerbottom's Lunar Grimoire to need an iridescent gem is exorbitantly more expensive!!!

Perhaps needing a purple moonlens would be a better alternative, or needing moonglass? Perhaps the crafting station would be changed to the celestial orb, or the Celestial alter on lunar island? This way the recipe is more difficult without inconveniencing other players by taking a vital game resource for fighting the celestial champion summoning the moonstorm, etc., and makes it so the recipe isn't nearly impossible for Wickerbottom herself.

30 minutes ago, Jinjetica said:

You make a lot of great points. Opal does seem way too expensive when u consider everything, especially in a multiplayer setting where multiple ppl could be “borrowing” an opal from the archives and leaving it completely empty. 

30 minutes ago, Jinjetica said:

Perhaps needing a purple moonlens would be a better alternative, or needing moonglass? Perhaps the crafting station would be changed to the celestial orb, or the Celestial alter on lunar island?

Ive suggested the assembled lunar island celestial altar too, i think that could be a great way to make it more difficult to acquire. In addition to perhaps simply increasing the moon rock requirement/making it a moon lens/adding moon glass, or perhaps adding living logs or driftwood? etc. 

If its a moon lens perhaps blue is more appropriate since purple is associated with shadow magic. 

My issue with its current cheap cost/ease of acces is mostly for “lore”/immersion reasons, since all full moon farms need big set ups anyway before u can profit from the grimoire in that way. (exception being glommer) 

It being crafted at just a bookcase feels inappropriate when the celestial tab/lunar island exists. Ideally it would involve the archive too somehow since thats where she got the knowledge for the grimoire but thats probably harder to implement. 

36 minutes ago, Jinjetica said:

-None of Walter's recipes require anything harder to obtain than thulecite/ purple gems

I feel like people underestimate how uselessly high effort thulecite rounds can feel when the only way to use them as a consistent ammo is to keep killing fuel weaver or to keep feeding dust moths after activating the archives and waiting thru their cleaning animation for a few fragments at a time for a ammo type that's just marble rounds with a addition effect that usually won't land a hit on what your fighting. Personally I feel like marble is needless involved too for being so important to him as well but that eventually at least becomes more accessible assuming everyone doesn't immediately use it up.

42 minutes ago, Jinjetica said:

you have to go to lunar island or wait around in the grotto for an earthquake, it seems fairly reasonable.... an iridescent gem would be the most EXPENSIVE recipe exclusive to a player that exists in the entire game... what is the point of buffing Wickerbottom if one of the recipes is locked behind such a steep ingredient?... Gotta get a yellow gem, which by itself is difficult to get, needing to search chests in the ruins or kill dragonfly... and RARELY found in a tumble weed... I've found one there ONCE in all the worlds I've had. THEN you also need nightmare fuel and living logs to make the starcaller staff...THEN you have to find the moonstone and fight off or cheese a huge wave of hounds and werepigs!!! AND EVEN AFTER ALL THAT, YOU STILL NEED A DECONSTRUCTION STAFF, which is more nightmare fuel, living logs and ANOTHER rare gem, this one being the green one.... SO, Wickerbottom needs to essentially kill dragonfly, go to the ruins and then do the moonstone for the mooncaller staff to get her book for summoning the full moon? At that point....you already have a whole mooncaller staff...what do you need to summon the full moon for at that point anyways? That would take such an insane amount of time to complete, that it won't happen on public servers, EVER.... and the only other option is to steal it from the archives...making this a terrible idea, taking much longer to activate them with additional stones missing depending on how many people want to play Wickerbottom!! In theory, using iridescent gems is very cool, and aesthetically I like it, as they are charged by moonbeams and created on the full moon. However:

That being said you do make a good point I'm down for substituting the iridescent gem  for a purple gem. 

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I feel like people underestimate how uselessly high effort thulecite rounds can feel when the only way to use them as a consistent ammo is to keep killing fuel weaver or to keep feeding dust moths after activating the archives and waiting thru their cleaning animation for a few fragments at a time for a ammo type that's just marble rounds with a addition effect that usually won't land a hit on what your fighting. Personally I feel like marble is needless involved too for being so important to him as well but that eventually at least becomes more accessible assuming everyone doesn't immediately use it up.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhg, Walter needs a rework, LMFAO!!!! He is cursed, why does his ammo need to be cursed too???? @_@ Seriously, I didn't realize how bad that was until you said it... and there are 3 different characters with recipes for thulecite/frags now, it's getting to be a little much imo, they are too hard to get, and now there is also competition over the same resources!!!

21 minutes ago, Ohan said:

If its a moon lens perhaps blue is more appropriate since purple is associated with shadow magic. 

That would also work, it's used for the moon dial... I was thinking of the purple moonlens because it is used at the celestial portal and for the moon rock idols, also it is harder to obtain than a blue gem, so I thought it fit the argument...

Archived