Spider Book and Light Book Buff

I think a lot of people find Overcoming Arachnophobia (spider book) and Lux Aeterna Redux (tier 2 light book) a bit underwhelming, so here's my suggestion:

The tier 2 light book is a bit underwhelming and doesn't add much to the gameplay; it's simply a longer lasting version of the normal light book. I think if it did something more interesting, for example, giving players a 5 minute light emission buff (like glowberries) upon touching the light or something like that, it could be more interesting and fun.

The spider book is a fun idea, but simply isn't strong enough to be useful. It would be neat if it stayed forever, and could be removed with a razor. I'm not sure if it slows down bosses as of now, but if it does, maybe having both of these upsides together would be a bit much.

I like the Wickerbottom rework overall though, but I feel like it could benefit a lot from making some of the less interesting or simply weak books more interesting (fun).

And to be clear, I don't think every single book should be hugely useful, just a small change to the weaker ones could make them fun and useful in at least some situations.

The Spider Book does affect Deerclops. And does not effect Bee Queen since she flies. So it only affects mobs that move on the ground. Increased range and duration are necessary for it to every be useful. Forever might be a problem. But at least a day or 2 would be nice. 

Overcoming Arachnophobia: Agreed, the book needs a buff to be anywhere near useful. My initial thoughts are changing the duration from 30 seconds to 2-4 minutes and the size from 2x2 tiles to 2-tile-radius circle (so 4x4 tiles but the corners are cut off), but it would probably take some experimenting and tweaking.

Lux Aeterna Redux: I actually really like this book! It's like a starcaller/mooncaller that you don't need to raid the ruins to get, you don't need to worry about its durability with a bookshelf, it doesn't ignite things like starcaller or freeze you like mooncaller, it works in the caves where lunar grimoire doesn't, and it even provides natural light to grow crops at night or in the caves! 

I think would be really great if the web could trap/stop medium or small passive cretures, like bunnies and birds when they go over it, like a real spider's web is supose to do XD

It could also get a considerable increase on its area of effect and a stronger slow effect for other creatures, so it could be more usefull to catch koalephants or slow down fuellwaver minions

Other creatures it would stop could be globbers, carrats or those shell guys from monkey island

(Also just a plus, but would be interesting if it had a sinergy with the end is night, turn into like electrified webs, since both lacks of sinergy and usefullness for now)

The light book in fine in my opinion it's a very easy way to grow crops in caves or just make resting spots in caves as well as a way to farm earthquakes for cheap.

1 hour ago, maxwell_winters said:

What if the durability of web was increased but the recipe used Spiderhat? 

Personally I feel like we could buff the spider book without raising it's cost considering what it does if nothing else it's duration needs to be higher I feel like the only reason it's in it's current state was because kiel was afraid of stepping on Walter's toes with it.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

The light book in fine in my opinion it's a very easy way to grow crops in caves or just make resting spots in caves as well as a way to farm earthquakes for cheap.

I agree it's a useful book, but I just feel like it would be more interesting if it worked differently from the lower tier light book. One of my favorite parts of Wicker's books is that you have to be creative to get the full use out of them, but there's not much creativity in a book that does the same thing but lasts longer.

1 hour ago, Psychic Chicken said:

I agree it's a useful book, but I just feel like it would be more interesting if it worked differently from the lower tier light book. One of my favorite parts of Wicker's books is that you have to be creative to get the full use out of them, but there's not much creativity in a book that does the same thing but lasts longer.

I agree there I feel like they should either just delete the weaker one or replace it with a new book.

In all honesty from my experience with the book I think I would prefer something akin to the klaus ice spell from the deer, starts as a slow then freezing things within a radius, slowing things seems helpful but I have yet to experience the slow being better then just out right reading sleepy time stories.

They stay asleep longer (than a pan flute) and it allows the player a reprieve when fighting, standing still to slow the enemies has not felt all that helpful, how ever halting them in some fashion to recoup feels and plays out far better. 

I do appreciate that people are discussing the books, I just hope they can be improved upon.

1 minute ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Make light book move when placed on boats

Okay now this, would be amazing. I like the idea of telling wavy and those spittle fish to buzz off with out the need of 2 boards in a boat light. For me a voyage at sea can go on for a while, so it would be nice to have another form of light.

22 hours ago, Arcwell said:

Lux Aeterna Redux: I actually really like this book! It's like a starcaller/mooncaller.

Now you got me thinking. Redux could also provide sunlight for crops while base Lux Aeterna doesn't. (Like how Starcaller provides sunlight while mooncaller doesn't)
Small buff/change that would be beneficial and quite practical.

4 hours ago, Evelo said:

Now you got me thinking. Redux could also provide sunlight for crops while base Lux Aeterna doesn't. (Like how Starcaller provides sunlight while mooncaller doesn't)
Small buff/change that would be beneficial and quite practical.

As far as I've been told they already provide sunlight for crops.

21 hours ago, SrOkami said:

I think would be really great if the web could trap/stop medium or small passive cretures, like bunnies and birds when they go over it

This is actually a really good idea. Put them in their pick-up-able state if they walk over it/land on it/etc.

Archived