So I understand in the DLC, plants can have mutants, I currently have some normal and super specialized sleet wheat growing, just got a licey and the wildish variant.

My question is, would it be intelligent to run a field of wildish sleet wheat (super low cost per day but +350% time to grow), but then use fertilizer to cut that in half? I feel like you would get the greatest effect of your 100% buff to growth rate, if you had the greater base time for the percentage to work off.

Im trying to do that maths, but im a little slow any insight?

Also i can upload a picture of my current sleetwheat setup if anyone cares to see it :D thanks for reading

Baseline sleetwheat is 18 days, 5kg dirt and 20kg water per day so total base cost per harvest is 270 kgs of dirt, and 360kgs of water

Specialized and super specialized are the same cost per day as baseline, but produce more than the baseline amount of food, 1.5x and 2x respectively.

so between these 3, if you can hack the conditions required, super specialized would be an obvious winner, fertilizer station effect has identical buff power on all 3

Wildish needs 81 days (woof) @ 500g of dirt and 2kg of water per day, so totals are 40.5kgs of dirt, and 162kgs of water per harvest, basic yield of 18.

if given the farmer's touch buff, +100% growth speed means half the costs per harvest if the buff is maintained throughout.

so basic and specialized and super specialized go down to 9 days per harvest, at 45kgs of dirt, and 180kgs of water, not bad right?

Wildish would get the same double growth rate, bringing a harvest to 40.5 days which is much less than an actual wild sleet wheat

and the costs are 500gx40.5days= 20.25kgs of dirt and 2kgsx40.5 days= 81kgs of water per plant per harvest.

This is where i get lost, I can do basic math to that point, I'm good on food atm in my current world, like 3.3million berry sludge calories and like at least a million in bbq they cant even eat (I need more dupes i'm running 12 atm) so would switching to wildish be smarter? since the omg I'm gonna die from no food has passed?

5 hours ago, TitaniumSun said:

My question is, would it be intelligent to run a field of wildish sleet wheat (super low cost per day but +350% time to grow), but then use fertilizer to cut that in half? I feel like you would get the greatest effect of your 100% buff to growth rate, if you had the greater base time for the percentage to work off.

It's important to understand if the 350% debuff and the fertiliser (or grubgrub) buffs add or multiply. My crappy memory tells me that they add, meaning that 350% - 50% = 300%. In that case, you won't cut it in half, but remove a 7th. My advise, try this stuff in debug/sandbox mode.

9 hours ago, LadenSwallow said:

Something to consider would be pip planting exuberant crops, they will grow at the rate of domesticated plants without resource requirements.

I will have to do that when I can bag some exuberants, I'm at the second planet now, so I have access to pips now, trying to ship back an arbor seed or 2 so they can have something to make a ranch with.

Thanks for the idea! I will look up exuberant on the wiki for any more info they may have

A problem I find with wild sleet wheat is that in the initial asteroid, the biome has a tendency to melt by the time you could realistically save it. There's always two ice biomes, both with geysers that will melt anything but ice and snow given enough cycles. So if I could make a pip farm for exuberant sleet wheat, the only cost I see is generating enough radiation to keep them growing.

I guess that's what Rad Lamps are for?

Small update, I have 5 super specialized and 10 exuberant sleetwheat going now, and im up to 7.7 tons of sleetwheat even after making a million calories just in frost buns so I guess its fine? lol? I was probably just overthinking/overworrying

On 7/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, LadenSwallow said:

Something to consider would be pip planting exuberant crops, they will grow at the rate of domesticated plants without resource requirements.

Yup.  I did this on another play through a while back.  Very nice results 

20 hours ago, ekimmak said:

the only cost I see is generating enough radiation to keep them growing.

I guess that's what Rad Lamps are for?

Weeze wort works wonders. 

On 7/10/2022 at 1:16 PM, TitaniumSun said:

Wildish needs 81 days (woof) @ 500g of dirt and 2kg of water per day, so totals are 40.5kgs of dirt, and 162kgs of water per harvest, basic yield of 18.

I suggest always run super specialized sleet wheat because:

1. Smaller area, require much less care for temperature control. It is easier to maintain temp at -30C~-19C in small room than maintain a super large room below 5C
  2. Require much less Wheezewort. Remember all mutant plant require 250 rad minimum. They are not infinite, and you cant spend uranium on farming wild sleet.
  3. Coss much less in fertilizer and grubgrub when it come to buff. Fertilizer worth 700% total when compare to wildish, 200% when compare to normal wheat.

With super specialized wheat, you can shrink the farm size to 1/5 of normal wheat, and it is so so much easier to control temperature in the room. 
image.thumb.png.c6efd8f0c8e0f1e36df1bd18420cf66b.png
(This farm i do with just ceramic as water pipe and petroleum as coolant.)
Farmer touch + 100% grow speed.
GrubGrub + 50% grow speed.
SuperSpecialized + 100% yeild.
for total 500% if you have enough GrubGrub and farmer.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:49 PM, Tranoze said:

I suggest always run super specialized sleet wheat because:

1. Smaller area, require much less care for temperature control. It is easier to maintain temp at -30C~-19C in small room than maintain a super large room below 5C
  2. Require much less Wheezewort. Remember all mutant plant require 250 rad minimum. They are not infinite, and you cant spend uranium on farming wild sleet.
  3. Coss much less in fertilizer and grubgrub when it come to buff. Fertilizer worth 700% total when compare to wildish, 200% when compare to normal wheat.

With super specialized wheat, you can shrink the farm size to 1/5 of normal wheat, and it is so so much easier to control temperature in the room. 
image.thumb.png.c6efd8f0c8e0f1e36df1bd18420cf66b.png
(This farm i do with just ceramic as water pipe and petroleum as coolant.)
Farmer touch + 100% grow speed.
GrubGrub + 50% grow speed.
SuperSpecialized + 100% yeild.
for total 500% if you have enough GrubGrub and farmer.

That.... is amazing I didn't even think to add grubgrubs was just using wheezeworts like you with lead docks and farm stations for fertilization ty for that insight

Archived