Some much needed love for Polly

So Polly is a really cool concept - The Captain with his bird, love it!

But we need to talk about the acual use of it: 
Yes you can use it for the ruins, but that is very niche and the same as the lazy forager. I think her intended real use is to pick up items on the ocean or items that are far away. And here is the problem: 

I know Polly probably has a small brain but she is so silly somtimes :grin: and we also have no control over her. She doesn't pick stuff near her first, but instead goes for equipment or decoration that is a screen away... She also picks up every equipment in a boat. At least she should go for the closest stuff first. 

I would love to have control or a toggle to her. Like a mode were she only picks up ressources and no equipment. I think it would also be cool to turn off her perk at all and just have her fly with us for the looks. Or what if she could pick figs from the trees? I also think she could be quicker picking up items without beeing op, but thats just my personal opinion. 

I fear that in her current state she will rarly get used at all and is more annoying than anything else. And I'm always really sad if cool items are in that state in the game. I'm curious to hear your opinion on Polly.

She should snort Warly's honey crystals to pick items faster.

I would like to switch the hat's function on or off just to wear the hat without picking random stuff and see Polly around, unless Polly is a free spirit like the eagles of LotR where they won't travel with you but will attend when called.

And yes! She should ignore closer items, maybe she should pick items beyond a 2-3 tiles radius.

But overall, I am actually happy we got the Polly Hat, it's something I and others have been wishing for years.

About Polly picking stuff faster, it's a joke, I preffer her to focus farthest items so Lazy Foragers don't become obsolete. I'm happy if Polly picks items farther but slower and Foragers pick items faster but closer.

Polly should ignore tools/certain items. I designed a mobile aquatic base using several boats and nautopilot beacons. I'm a Tool Pile™ kind of person because I like to see what tools I already have from a glance and don't like wasting chest space, and Polly keeps collecting all my tools AND the nautopilot beacons during sailing and decoupled my entire base apart. \(〇_o)/Something to consider because I agree that Polly needs a little tuning

3 hours ago, DelroyBM said:

And yes! She should ignore closer items, maybe she should pick items beyond a 2-3 tiles radius.

That would make her completly useless for me and also not consistent. If I destroy a dock or a boat while building I want her to pick the logs in the water. That is often only 1 tile away but to far for the forager. Problem right now: Instead of picking the logs next to her she flies one screen in the base and picks up the decoration there. 

Prioritizing items in the water like @QuartzBeam said is a really good idea!

We should be able to command Polly to do things, kinda like Abigail:

_One where you can command her to only pick up items that you click on the screen

_One where you can command her to pick up everything.

Something like it. Perhaps even command her to only pick up an item based on what item you click on in your inventory?

After getting familiar with Polly, you will find that she gives priority to the items far away from you, and this is a fixed range. Beyond the range, she will not pick up. You should get used to it. I think it's the best place for her to take the items far away from you first. Only in this way can we have more characteristics

Archived