automation question from a noob

Hi, I've never really used automation before, so this may be an incredibly easy fix, but for the life of me I can't figure it out..

I have two metal refineries that are running off two separate tamed geysers that are very close. My power system isn't established, so it's still very early game for me. I don't have the extra capacity to run both simultaneously. Is it possible to use automation to only allow the use of one of them at a time so as not to overload the system? I could just build them each a coal generator and call it a day. but I'm determined to learn this damnit lol

Another option is to connect them each to a separate cycle sensor with different times of the day active. That way you don't need to connect them by automation wire, but only one will be operated at any time.

10 hours ago, graciebirdy said:

Hi, I've never really used automation before, so this may be an incredibly easy fix, but for the life of me I can't figure it out..

I have two metal refineries that are running off two separate tamed geysers that are very close. My power system isn't established, so it's still very early game for me. I don't have the extra capacity to run both simultaneously. Is it possible to use automation to only allow the use of one of them at a time so as not to overload the system? I could just build them each a coal generator and call it a day. but I'm determined to learn this damnit lol

In terms of a simple automation solution, a duplicant sensor with a NOT gate connected to the opposite refinery should solve this problem (Every time a duplicant stands in front of the refinery the other refinery will turn off, this includes duplicants that run past the refinery for other things).

However be forwarned that this will cause alot of canceled errands if the duplicants want to deliver to the opposite refinery from the left side of the refinery.

To  further reduce the interruptions to a extent, I recommend building the refineries on separate floors and don't let the duplicants run thru that area so it doesn't shut off the other refinery randomly and canceling the errands needlessly..313130327_automationrefinery2.thumb.png.003ddf8da1b2f49aec0c3328b1c78e5d.png

Since you are short of power, I think it will be a nice idea to disallow dupes of low machinery to operate the refinery. (Because expert engineers run the machine faster and thus save power) But it's free for anyone to deliver materials. Another solution is to build doors and restrict access to the refinery. Both methods requires no automation at all.

If you have only one engineer to operate the machine in your colony, you can make sure only one refinery is running at a time. If multiple engineers exist, you can keep other engineers out of the room by doors and only let one certain engineer (and maybe some delivers who don't do any machinery) in.

Too small amount of details.

I think you need

1. timer sensor
  2. connect with first refinary directly
  3. connect with second refinary using NOT gate
  4. set timer sensor for 1 cycle activity and 1 cycle inactivity 

Archived