The problem with the Ocean

Add an archipelago world setting that splits the biomes into islands. Actually theres probably already a mod like that. Yes, yes there is

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2483388271&searchtext=archipelago

I think people overestimate why people don't like sailing. It has nothing to do with the ocean itself but the location it's in. The main reason is literally just because all the main content is in the middle of the map while the water takes place on this awkward area at the edge. Nothing about the ocean is actually that bad. If you force people to sail between islands to play the game, suddenly the ocean becomes a lot more fun and interesting

3 hours ago, Zerobillion said:

UUUUUUUGH the leaks...

You gotta click exactly on top of the leak on a moving boat and if you're even a pixel off you walk over to the leak and drop your entire stack of boat patches on the floor.

It makes me wonder if they didn't even playtest this mechanic or something, there's no way it can be this godawful...

It's 10 times worse on console, to select objects you need to move around, but the boat is so small you might be able to sink while you have boat patches on you

Perhaps we need cheaper boats

so that then ppl could strategically place them close to certain ocean places (1 boat for lunar island, 1 for mangrove, 1 for salt)

that can lead to people abusing it for quick trips 

would it matter? sailing takes its time to go from A point to B point

wich would have been fine for a nomadic playstyle, yet it doesn't work too well on dst

ocean must be essentially a caves 2, so that is not annoying to travel, and doesn't take to much times on trips

10 hours ago, Ardcrumb said:

It's 10 times worse on console, to select objects you need to move around, but the boat is so small you might be able to sink while you have boat patches on you

Shipwrecked was so so soooo much better on Consoles if just for this reason Alone.

I get that Klei wanted it to be more in-depth/Realistic.. or whatever.. but when the controls clash with other actions… it’s just not a fun experience.

And I don’t know about you guys, but I play video games to have fun.. if I feel like I’m fighting the controller more then I am fighting the challenges of the game itself- that’s usually when I get discouraged and stop playing.

And the sad part is I have no idea what to suggest to change/improve it..

Maybe the “Boat” could be like Abigail where you just scroll to the Patch in your Inventory and then apply it to the Boat? 
Trying to position yourself in just the right spot to repair a leak it isn’t fun… it’s actually more annoying then it is fun.

11 hours ago, Ornge said:

Add an archipelago world setting that splits the biomes into islands. Actually theres probably already a mod like that. Yes, yes there is

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2483388271&searchtext=archipelago

Id like to see klei iterate on this. I dont think the world generation should be exactly like SW, but a mix of both, but its a good starting point. I'd also like them to redesign the swamp biome to have water tiles incorporated- similar to the mangrove biome in SW.

In fact theres a lot of room to incorporate water tiles on land like what they did in Hamlet. There could be small self contained lakes- about a screen or 2 wide for example.

my only problem with ocean, if we ignore that it needs more updates, is that is arround the main island as other pointed so sealing is bassically traveling arround the world which is kinda a chore when you have to go to the other side of the world. Idk how they can split the world without changing that much the game like what would happend with island

an archipielago world gen wont take that much time as far as i know and will be a potential fun addition to the settings

13 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Wavey Jones is another reason to turn people away from ocean, i understand wanting difficulty to be amped up but this is just plain annoying to deal with because of high sanity requirement and ocean doesn't need anything else to make players not want to explore it.

Sounds like "higher risk lower reward" type of content. It doesn't make sense.

Archived