System requirements; What to prioritize?

As we all know, late game can become a slow drag. My machine right now isn't particularly great either (although I *do* actually have the exact 'recommended' setup in terms of RAM/processor). I plan to get a new computer (or laptop, rather) and was wondering what I should prioritize for a game like ONI?

I assume graphics card won't be any issue, but what about processor/RAM? If I'm not mistaken, it only uses a single core, so this should be as fast as possible? Though granted, due to lack of funds I am not exactly up to speed on the latest innovations and differences between various types of processors.

I have set my eyes on two particular laptops, and am trying to find out which would be better - the one with a faster processor (but only 16 GB ram) or rather the slightly worse processor, but 32 GB of RAM?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Faster processor and 16gb of ram. For ONI, and most games for that matter, there is little justification to have more than 16gb ram. Some games become memory hogs when heavily modded, but I don't think that really applies to ONI because the assets are so simple and aren't big huge 3D models with textures.

Single threaded performance is indeed a key metric to look at. ONI doesn't only use one core, but it does get bottlenecked by one core. For example, on my computer (6 core, 12 threads) it uses 200-250% CPU, so a quad core is already going to give it all the cores it can utilize, and you probably can't get anything good with fewer than 4 core these days anyway.

Simple rule is. Better the cpu and more memory you have,longer you can play. This rule apply games what not have limits and oni is one off those games.

Better go faster cpu . Memory you can usualy upgrade even at laptop. Unless if its somesort weird crap.

Okay, so processing power it is. However, I am a bit confused now.

You see, my (very old) PC with an i5-3570 processor, that runs absolutely atrocious in later stages of the game has, according to the system manager, 3.4 GHz per core.

I was considering getting a laptop (traveling a lot, so desktop is not an option) with a choice of Ryzen 5 5600H, or a Ryzen 7 5800H. Those have 3.3 or 3.2 GHz, respectively. I can't really believe a processor a couple generations newer would be slower? Of course looking at boosted clock, there's a different picture.

Agh, I'm getting too old for this technology sheet...

Speeds are advertised a bit differently these days. There's base clock, which is where the CPU sits most of the time. Boost is what you'll get when playing games. Also per-clock performance has improved massively. I had a 4670k which was about the same generation as your CPU and it really struggled with ONI. The 5800X I have now absolutely wipes the floor with the 4670k in almost every respect.

Also seconding a minimum of 16GB RAM. I've seen ONI itself use 8GB. Leaving the door open to 32 GB isn't totally unreasonable either

9 hours ago, Dread said:

I was considering getting a laptop (traveling a lot, so desktop is not an option) with a choice of Ryzen 5 5600H, or a Ryzen 7 5800H. Those have 3.3 or 3.2 GHz, respectively. I can't really believe a processor a couple generations newer would be slower?

Mind you, apart from Desktops have more space to fit larger parts, enabling better specs more cheaply/early, the number of threads and cores matters a lot but not for ONI (at least the number of cores does not change a thing, ONI use a single core).

After all, we have yet to see a processor with 5 GHz so one could presume that CPU did not even get twice as fast but it's more complex than that, While there are still not leaps and bounds, single core performance was still doubled in the last decade or so. (My i7-4770 is from 2013 and the i9-11900k is from earlier this year, the 'double performance' is based on the Geekbench 5 single core performance test on versus(dot)com).

Yeah sadly, this topic is a lot more complex than it was in ye olden days. Where you upgraded a Pentium (without any numbers attached, or maybe a 'pro') with some 100 MHz to a shiny new Pentium II with 200 MHz, it was pretty easy to determine 'yup, that thing is probably around twice as fast'.

4 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

After all, we have yet to see a processor with 5 GHz so one could presume that CPU did not even get twice as fast but it's more complex than that, While there are still not leaps and bounds, single core performance was still doubled in the last decade or so.

That sounds promising though. The 3570 came out in Q2 2012, the Ryzen 7 in Q4 2021, just about a decade difference. So I'll definitely get some performance improvement.

6 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

As for RAM: If you use, or plan to use mods, get 32GB. You´ll never regret it. And RAM ist not that much of a cost factor anyway.

Darn good point too. I like mods and from what I've seen, there is still a slot available in the Laptop I wanted to get, so I'll definitely go with 32 GB.

Archived