Liquid Shutoff + Element Sensor extremely unreliable

Is there a detailed writeup somewhere about how to deal with the Liquid Shutoff + Liquid Pipe Element Sensor combo? Specifically, how to prevent it from failing?

Trying to create a magma pump using the guides online, using the trick of a drop of liquid (naptha) to pump. The sensor + shutoff combo to filter out the naphta seems to fail quite often, by that I mean it will spontaneously send magma through the shutoff instead and naphta the other way. After emptying / deconstructing-reconstructing etc. it works for a while before failing again. Very frustrating!

I can't find any guide that details how to deal with the sensor + shutoff system. The only failure mode I know is if it backs up, which seems impossible in my case (output pipe goes straight to vent high above the magma). Anybody know where to find more details?

if you are dealing with liquid shutoff + liquid pipe element sensor, you should be sure your system uptime is 100%. In case if it stop for a one second, wrong liquid will go into undesired location. Absolutely have no idea why people pump magma, bus most probably at that time you have enough power to afford normal liquid filter (120wt). Here an example with liquid tungesten and viscogel:

image.thumb.png.6d7f3a496581804b9cd550d35220bebc.png

I'm using 2 liquid vents - one for tungesten with normal temperature, another for 1kg pipe for cooling, if I need to cool it a little.

3 hours ago, degr said:

Absolutely have no idea why people pump magma

I pump magma because it's a free resource... It either comes from the core or from "very hot rock geysers"... It has also made me look into the applications of piped magma...

5 hours ago, voidfoo said:

The sensor + shutoff combo to filter out the naphta seems to fail quite often, by that I mean it will spontaneously send magma through the shutoff instead and naphta the other way.

There seems to be something off with your setup then. There are many types of setups that can be used, I'll describe two of them and elaborate a little on the second for reasons that you'll see in a bit.

• The first kind of arrangement one makes when pumping magma is the one shown above by degr. Once put into action, the only way it can fail is when there is a power failure at the "right" time so that magma gets trapped in a pipe that's cold enough, for example. (Except for insulated pipes made with insulation...)
  • The second is the one that uses what is called the mechanical filter. This one does not use power when filtering but has more failure points... These usually happen when any pipe gets backed up. This should never be a problem when pumping magma because it's supposed to be used up at some point after being pumped... 

Both have a late game issue you may come across the issue that happens the naphtha drop is disappearing altogether and the magma pump stops working, there's also a workaround for that: An additional length of pipe with an extra liquid valve set to 10 g/s should be placed right after the mechanical filter array and prior to the liquid vent that releases the naphtha blob.

Spoiler

Some time ago, I had made a write-up on pumping from a leaky oil fissure with a mechanical filter, it also includes a simple mechanical filter setup for pumping hot stuff. This setup was before I discovered the liquid vanishing so the workaround is not yet included but it's still a good starting point to get the magma pump up and running...

There's several standard methods of pumping extremely hot liquids. The safest are those that use the full pump 10kg/s by having a drip to activate the pump. Just a caution. At least the pipe section on the pump pumping the hot liquid must be an insulated pipe of insulation for it to work.

The wiki describes the most common methods here

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Unusual_uses_of_Gameplay_Mechanics#Pumping_superhot_liquids

@ishamorodin on discord (not sure of name here) recently posted an escher variant with built-in infinite liquid storage

unknown.png

@Saturnus: Liquids vanishing mid fall on save/load should be mentioned when using waterfalls (escher also).

The compact setup you've come up with is something I would've liked to have ages ago...

I did have a minor issue with my own setup some time ago and it had to do with minor amounts of magma teleporting upwards. The door being on the right side of the magma in your build may actually prevent it from happening. Here's a screenshot of mine, the green highlights show where I fixed the unwanted teleportation on my version:

2028214906_Magmapumperstation.thumb.png.0d19588c361d42907b201c644fb7c814.png

33 minutes ago, JRup said:

@Saturnus: Liquids vanishing mid fall on save/load should be mentioned when using waterfalls (escher also).

Only really a potential problem using eschers. The example above it's at maximum 2.9g per save/reload and with a 800kg reservoir that's a lot of save/reloads.

38 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

The example above it's at maximum 2.9g per save/reload and with a 800kg reservoir that's a lot of save/reloads.

I believe it can vary: it did go up to several kg per save/load on this playthrough that's very long in the tooth. I ended changing it so that the waterfall pool had a refill option and also the waterfall itself would be activated on demand because it was indeed vanishing altogether...

It's fun anyway: find a problem - exorcise engineer it till it's fixed.

Archived